THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 220d Cabrio fuel tank sloshing sound / brake pad play

06-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
sparkle148
Rep
Drives: BMW 2-Series 220d

Red face 220d Cabrio fuel tank sloshing sound / brake pad play

Hi guys,

Finally got my account approved, first post here

I have had two issues I’ve noticed for a while on my 220d and finally got around to bringing it to bmw today. The two issues are the following, as I described to themselves on an email today:

#1 - Knocking sound from fuel tank
The car has been to the dealership and taken for a road test with one of the master technicians for demonstration previous to the COVID situation. The knocking sound can be heard when the fuel tank is around 7/8 of its capacity in abrupt acceleration changes. To witness it, start driving the car then suddenly hit the brakes hard and let them go - the knocking sound will be heard from the rear left of the vehicle. Continuously pressing and releasing the brakes will make it more evident. It is a knocking / sloshing type of sound. As the deposit nears 1/2 it goes away.

#2 - Metallic click when brakes are pressed
During dry weather, if the car is moving forward and stopped, then put in reverse, the moment the brakes are pressed when the car is reversing a loud metallic clicking sound can be heard. The same happens afterwards if the car is then driven forward and the brakes are pressed. In other words - every time the car changes from R to D or vice-versa, driven and the brakes are pressed, the clicking sound can be heard. See the video below which demonstrates this.

Got a call later back from them. They’re saying both of these are normal, and that they have checked another identical car and identified the same noises. #1 they’re attributing it to the fuel sloshing in the tank, and #2 they’re saying it’s play on the brake pads. Conveniently they chose to do this at a time I cannot road test the other car they checked.

Can any of you guys confirm if you have these on your car? Literally going crazy in here, especially given my history with that dealership is terrible.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle148 View Post
Hi guys,

Finally got my account approved, first post here

I have had two issues I've noticed for a while on my 220d and finally got around to bringing it to bmw today. The two issues are the following, as I described to themselves on an email today:

#1 - Knocking sound from fuel tank
The car has been to the dealership and taken for a road test with one of the master technicians for demonstration previous to the COVID situation. The knocking sound can be heard when the fuel tank is around 7/8 of its capacity in abrupt acceleration changes. To witness it, start driving the car then suddenly hit the brakes hard and let them go - the knocking sound will be heard from the rear left of the vehicle. Continuously pressing and releasing the brakes will make it more evident. It is a knocking / sloshing type of sound. As the deposit nears 1/2 it goes away.

#2 - Metallic click when brakes are pressed
During dry weather, if the car is moving forward and stopped, then put in reverse, the moment the brakes are pressed when the car is reversing a loud metallic clicking sound can be heard. The same happens afterwards if the car is then driven forward and the brakes are pressed. In other words - every time the car changes from R to D or vice-versa, driven and the brakes are pressed, the clicking sound can be heard. See the video below which demonstrates this.

Got a call later back from them. They're saying both of these are normal, and that they have checked another identical car and identified the same noises. #1 they're attributing it to the fuel sloshing in the tank, and #2 they're saying it's play on the brake pads. Conveniently they chose to do this at a time I cannot road test the other car they checked.

Can any of you guys confirm if you have these on your car? Literally going crazy in here, especially given my history with that dealership is terrible.

Thank you!
I can confirm that this metallic clicking is weird and doesn't exist in my M240i. Your use of the word "loud" was key and I don't hear any loud metallic clicking. Have you tried a different dealership?

Better yet, for some additional peace of mind, and it to a reputable third party for a second opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
sparkle148
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I can confirm that this metallic clicking is weird and doesn't exist in my M240i. Your use of the word "loud" was key and I don't hear any loud metallic clicking. Have you tried a different dealership?

Better yet, for some additional peace of mind, and it to a reputable third party for a second opinion
Hi BimBimM2

Thank for your reply. The metallic clicking I am referring to can be hear at the 0:07 minute mark on the video I posted.

Unfortunately I do not have any other dealerships nearby I could go to :/ hence me asking around if other people also have this.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Middy2000
Middy2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 218d Sport

I'd say it's not normal.

The brake clicking could be the overtightening of a bolt around the calliper area. As I cyclist if I over torque a bolt I get a similar sound under pressure.

No idea about the fuel sloshing. I've never noticed it and I'm really susceptible to cabin noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
sparkle148
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
I'd say it's not normal.

The brake clicking could be the overtightening of a bolt around the calliper area. As I cyclist if I over torque a bolt I get a similar sound under pressure.

No idea about the fuel sloshing. I've never noticed it and I'm really susceptible to cabin noise.

I suspected people would say the brake pad noise isn’t normal, really curious what everyone has to say on the fuel tank though.

Like I said I seem to notice it mostly at 7/8s of a tank. I keep wondering whether something is off or if it has always been there and I simply never noticed.

Is your 2 series also a cabrio?

Last edited by sparkle148; 06-01-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
I'd say it's not normal.

I suspected people would say the brake pad noise isn’t normal, really curious what everyone has to say on the fuel tank though.

Like I said I seem to notice it mostly at 7/8s of a tank. I keep wondering whether something is off or if it has always been there and I simply never noticed.

Is your 2 series also a cabrio?
Mine is a cabrio. There is one noise that is worth point out, our passenger side seat belt buckle bangs around. I am sure you aren't confusing the noises but I thought it worth highlighting.

Anyway, the brake is absolutely not normal. And, for a bonus, I was nearly done with my tank and tested a couple of things. Fairly quiet road, almost empty tank, and I heard a faint (in fact very faint) sloshing with the top up. But that's normal; you will hear that in every car if you brake/accelerate a little aggressively and have sensitive hearing. It is liquid splashing about, of course. I was curious about how much that is audible with the top up.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
sparkle148
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a cabrio. There is one noise that is worth point out, our passenger side seat belt buckle bangs around. I am sure you aren't confusing the noises but I thought it worth highlighting.

Anyway, the brake is absolutely not normal. And, for a bonus, I was nearly done with my tank and tested a couple of things. Fairly quiet road, almost empty tank, and I heard a faint (in fact very faint) sloshing with the top up. But that's normal; you will hear that in every car if you brake/accelerate a little aggressively and have sensitive hearing. It is liquid splashing about, of course. I was curious about how much that is audible with the top up.
Passenger seat belt buckles attached to their connecting points so they won’t bang around for this reason. Unfortunately that’s not it haha.

Below half a tank mine is quiet all the time. The sloshing / knocking seems to peak at 7/8 and then slowly fades away until it’s completely gone at half a tank. When it’s mostly noticeable I’d say you’d definitely hear if it happens same as mine. Put this way, even my girlfriend noticed it lol. Will try and get a video of it to post here, although it’s a difficult one to get on camera.

I’ve seen the odd posts on the 1-series and 3-series forums reporting identical issues as well, so perhaps there is not much to be worried about. That said, I intend on asking the dealership to demonstrate these on another car when I go for my end of warranty check.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Passenger seat belt buckles attached to their connecting points so they won’t bang around for this reason. Unfortunately that’s not it haha.

Below half a tank mine is quiet all the time. The sloshing / knocking seems to peak at 7/8 and then slowly fades away until it’s completely gone at half a tank. When it’s mostly noticeable I’d say you’d definitely hear if it happens same as mine. Put this way, even my girlfriend noticed it lol. Will try and get a video of it to post here, although it’s a difficult one to get on camera.

I’ve seen the odd posts on the 1-series and 3-series forums reporting identical issues as well, so perhaps there is not much to be worried about. That said, I intend on asking the dealership to demonstrate these on another car when I go for my end of warranty check.
I would recommend someone sitting in the backseat and recording it if it is so pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

The brake clicking could be a pad that's not properly seated. I run aftermarket pads on my car. The metal backing plate is a bit undersized so they click when changing directions.

The noise from the tank could be a problem with the fuel level sensor that's part of the pump. The pump and sensor are located on the left side of the tank. Remove the rear seat bottom cushion and have someone sit on the metal above the tank. Fill the tank to 7/8 full and see if the sound is louder and is coming from the pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The diesel fuel tank could be so much different then American petrol tank that the sloshing could very well be normal.

The metal click in reverse - that shouldn’t be to hard to pinpoint with someone standing outside the car. It it’s a pad someone kneeling by the caliper I would think could verify.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #11
sparkle148
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
The brake clicking could be a pad that's not properly seated. I run aftermarket pads on my car. The metal backing plate is a bit undersized so they click when changing directions.

The noise from the tank could be a problem with the fuel level sensor that's part of the pump. The pump and sensor are located on the left side of the tank. Remove the rear seat bottom cushion and have someone sit on the metal above the tank. Fill the tank to 7/8 full and see if the sound is louder and is coming from the pump.
Hi guys, thank for your replies.

I haven’t got around to try and attempt getting it on camera, but when I do I will post it here.

MarcoZandrini , your comment was pretty much in line with what the master technician told me he’d do before the COVID situation. However my booking was cancelled at the time - and when I took the car in this time another technician looked at it and in turn said everything was normal, including he also compared it to another car, which I find hard to believe. Bottom line I’m a bit stuck as I can clearly show what I think is a problem, yet I’m told it is normal.

I will prolly take the car to an independent garage before I bring it back to the bmw end of warranty check in August. On top of this I’ll be asking the dealership to demonstrate the issue on another car, which hopefully will be viable in then. If it’s not, I’m afraid my hands are tied up :/
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #12
sparkle148
Rep

So finally managed to record it. The second video shows it slightly better.

Let me know your thoughts. It definitely sounds like a the fuel is sloshing about rather than something loose hitting the tank walls. Curious to see what you guys think / if you also hear it on yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #13
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

That's not sloshing. Something is loose. Perhaps the fuel tank isn't properly fastened to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:14 AM   #14
sparkle148
Rep

Got an update on this. After a lot of correspondence with BMW I got the dealership to look into it again. Ended up getting the fuel tank replaced.

Surprise of surprises - it still does exactly the same thing. Pretty baffled at this point, either they didn’t replace the tank as they’re saying, or I have no idea.

At this point I’d really like to know if you guys also experience this, particularly diesel owners. I should point out that it only happens noticeably above 3/4 of the fuel tank.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #15
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Got an update on this. After a lot of correspondence with BMW I got the dealership to look into it again. Ended up getting the fuel tank replaced.

Surprise of surprises - it still does exactly the same thing. Pretty baffled at this point, either they didn't replace the tank as they're saying, or I have no idea.

At this point I'd really like to know if you guys also experience this, particularly diesel owners. I should point out that it only happens noticeably above 3/4 of the fuel tank.
I don't know if you are based in the US but we have something called the Lemon Law here and it might be useful consulting an attorney regarding that.

See the dealership has now created a history of acknowledging the problem and taking a step as drastic as replacing a huge component of the car. That pretty much guaranteed that something was indeed abnormal with the car. Now since you are experiencing this again, and I am sure able to record it once again as well, you must go back to the dealership and present the evidence again.

Something isn't right with this car for sure. Unfortunately you will have to play the game here... but if you are in the US and the car cannot be fixed after repeated attempts to a satisfactory level, BMW will be obligated to buy it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
sparkle148
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if you are based in the US but we have something called the Lemon Law here and it might be useful consulting an attorney regarding that.

See the dealership has now created a history of acknowledging the problem and taking a step as drastic as replacing a huge component of the car. That pretty much guaranteed that something was indeed abnormal with the car. Now since you are experiencing this again, and I am sure able to record it once again as well, you must go back to the dealership and present the evidence again.

Something isn't right with this car for sure. Unfortunately you will have to play the game here... but if you are in the US and the car cannot be fixed after repeated attempts to a satisfactory level, BMW will be obligated to buy it back.
Based in the U.K., so unfortunately the same law won’t apply.

Told the service advisor today I want to see another car doing the same noise before I am ok with it. Hopefully they’ll arrange for that sometime soon - if not I will push for it to happen, as usual.

The technician who worked on the car mentioned that there are no baffles on the fuel tank itself, which puzzles me to be fair and would explain the noise. Hence my curiosity in whether any other cars out there do this as well. Like I said at half a tank and below everything’s pretty quiet.
Appreciate 0