THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan could use some help

05-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #45
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
When I was exploring custom tunes, I talked to Ron T at Noelle Performance (they also offer their warranty which overrides BMW warranty while nullifying it; ex-Alpina guys). Ron mentioned the very same thing about maintaining oil pressure/turbo regarding piggybacks, and in fact, if I remember correctly, he has a special dislike for piggybacks, even OTS tunes off BM3. Seems like with these cars the best bet is to go straight custom tune; sure it is more expensive but not-jeopardizing-engine expensive.

Anyway this is very good to know! I was tempted to try piggyback tuners, Dinan's especially.

Maybe the best bet is for those who are afraid of running into this issue is to get a tune like Noelle's which at least provides powertrain warranty, covering any of the pre-existing Dinan bullshit.

Also, Fasteddy1 , hello from MN! We might even be neighbors!
Good to know. I’ve heard mixed things about Noelle, but having a warranty to stand behind their work is a game changer.

I just jumped on a special from MHD since their webstore went live. It’s $497 for the flasher app, the data logging feature, and ALL OTS tunes license. I may be customer number 1 for that deal.

They posted expecting iOS app to be in App Store by tomorrow. I can’t wait...and will likely put the dinan into bypass mode. While I haven’t seen any examples besides the one mentioned in this thread personally, I would have to believe that any process that involves tricking the vehicle into operating at inaccurate values can’t be a reliable long term option..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #46
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Quote:
When I was exploring custom tunes, I talked to Ron T at Noelle Performance (they also offer their warranty which overrides BMW warranty while nullifying it; ex-Alpina guys). Ron mentioned the very same thing about maintaining oil pressure/turbo regarding piggybacks, and in fact, if I remember correctly, he has a special dislike for piggybacks, even OTS tunes off BM3. Seems like with these cars the best bet is to go straight custom tune; sure it is more expensive but not-jeopardizing-engine expensive.

Anyway this is very good to know! I was tempted to try piggyback tuners, Dinan's especially.

Maybe the best bet is for those who are afraid of running into this issue is to get a tune like Noelle's which at least provides powertrain warranty, covering any of the pre-existing Dinan bullshit.

Also, Fasteddy1 , hello from MN! We might even be neighbors!
Good to know. I've heard mixed things about Noelle, but having a warranty to stand behind their work is a game changer.

I just jumped on a special from MHD since their webstore went live. It's $497 for the flasher app, the data logging feature, and ALL OTS tunes license. I may be customer number 1 for that deal.

They posted expecting iOS app to be in App Store by tomorrow. I can't wait...and will likely put the dinan into bypass mode. While I haven't seen any examples besides the one mentioned in this thread personally, I would have to believe that any process that involves tricking the vehicle into operating at inaccurate values can't be a reliable long term option..
I am absolutely mixed about Noelle. They have good pedigree butttt too many unknowns; however they are a good alternative in case someone wants to stick to the land of warrantied tunes.

Oh and MHD for me as well. Yup. Too good a deal to pass up and with iOS app around the corner, seems like a great idea. Plus, thought I won't ever be using OTS tunes, your arguments around their partnership with xHP were solid.

Plus the flames. Yup. The FLAAAMES!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #47
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I know there were a number of issues with the Dinan Stage 1 (pre V2). But, I don't think there's been a whole lot of B58s blowing up due to inadequate oil pressure from piggybacks in general. Its more likely to have catastrophic failure due to cavitation or low oil situations (in addition to starting with a lemon).

The V2 solution isn't pushing that much additional boost; The oil pressure threshold isn't that narrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #48
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

By the way guys.

As B58TU1 becomes the norm for the flagship..dinan just released a flash tune on 4-29-20 for n55.

They clearly have their product roadmap aligned with the market 🙄
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #49
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
By the way guys.

As B58TU1 becomes the norm for the flagship..dinan just released a flash tune on 4-29-20 for n55.

They clearly have their product roadmap aligned with the market 🙄
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 04:05 PM   #50
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
the best bet is for those who are afraid of running into this issue is to
...stay away from modifying their car in the first place.

If one chooses to go ahead anyway, accept the fact that you may have chosen poorly (only to have found this out later, frequently), something may go wrong, etc., etc.

Fellow forum member lixiang7349 recently mentioned that "you have to pay to play". What he forgot to mention is that you only discover at the end just how much it is you're going to end up paying.

Due to long experience, I'm thinking of offering a short course on this subject.

Last edited by dradernh; 05-13-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #51
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:

If one chooses to go ahead anyway, accept the fact that you may have chosen poorly (and only found this out later), something may go wrong, etc., etc.

Fellow forum member lixiang7349 recently mentioned that "you have to pay to play". What he forgot to mention is that you only discover at the end just how much it is you're going to end up paying.

Due to long experience, I'm thinking of offering a short course on this subject.
Best damn advice in the tuning sub-forum! Thank you DraderNH!
Appreciate 1
dradernh4346.00
      05-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #52
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

If one chooses to go ahead anyway, accept the fact that you may have chosen poorly (and only found this out later), something may go wrong, etc., etc.

I’m with you there. I also didn’t buy this vehicle to make grocery runs and have it buried with me at 400,000 miles.

I want more performance than is offered by stock at this point. Not 600 hp to the wheel but maybe halfway there from stock setup.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4346.00
      05-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #53
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Best damn advice in the tuning sub-forum! Thank you DraderNH!
Thank you, very kind of you. My purpose here is to contribute, although I've been known to occasionally drift away from that goal.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #54
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Quote:

If one chooses to go ahead anyway, accept the fact that you may have chosen poorly (only to have found this out later, frequently), something may go wrong, etc., etc.

You pay for the bmw then bm3 to make it even faster while voiding the warranty then you pay additional taxes in the form of speeding tickets. Then you pay lawyers to defend you in court. That completes the circle of fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #55
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You pay for the bmw then bm3 to make it even faster while voiding the warranty then you pay additional taxes in the form of speeding tickets. Then you pay lawyers to defend you in court. That completes the circle of fun.
But think of all the economic benefit you have created!! All the jobs you have supported!! What we do is for the greater good!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #56
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But think of all the economic benefit you have created!! All the jobs you have supported!! What we do is for the greater good!!
Yes that's the best the most efficient way of creating jobs!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #57
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

In regards to the change date. The vendor for one of the couplers for that intake sent the wrong part hence the sudden change in ETA. Didnt realize it was wrong until it came in. The correct part is due in mid month. The system however automatically adds 2 weeks for "kitting" and the like into what it sees in the ERP system, hence the even longer date. You should see the intake a fair amount before that date if the vendor ETA for the correct part is accurate.
The latest (third) estimated ship date is Friday. The intake certainly hasn't arrived yet, nor have I received a shipping email. What are the odds it ships Friday?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #58
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

Okay Dinan fans I need your opinions...I am taking my 2017 230i in for its last "free" maintenance. Each time I have in the past I have bypassed my Dinan Stage 1 (v.1, v.2 and v.2 upgraded) The very first time I took it in the manager said why are you doing this, no problem, we are Dinan friendly. Then the second time after the foreign corp said "no mo Dinan" (Throttlesteer14 loved that topic) I didn't even ask and bypassed the unit. My question is, do I give a blank about the Dealership, or continue using the bypass. If I use the bypass then will their "xteen" point engine check verify that the stock thresholds are without errors. Your thoughts gentlemen, including yours rebel-rouser BimBimM2.

Last edited by Winemaker2; 05-18-2020 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #59
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Are you asking if they’ll know that you bypassed the dinan tune, and what the repercussions of that would be?

I imagine none. Part of the use of the tuner is the ability to shut it off if you want to.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #60
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
The latest (third) estimated ship date is Friday. The intake certainly hasn't arrived yet, nor have I received a shipping email. What are the odds it ships Friday?
The vendor was scheduled to ship on the 15th. Last update I see in our system was a request for tracking was sent to the vendor EOD Friday. I'm still cautiously optomistic it would be shipped by the end of the week assuming the vendor did in fact get it shipped out on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #61
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
I hope your luck is better than mine, they never responded to my last email about the wrong reimbursement amount
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #62
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you asking if they’ll know that you bypassed the dinan tune, and what the repercussions of that would be?

I imagine none. Part of the use of the tuner is the ability to shut it off if you want to.
I am asking do I care since they know it's there, or will it help the diagnostics if I bypass it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #63
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Quote:
Are you asking if they'll know that you bypassed the dinan tune, and what the repercussions of that would be?

I am asking do I care since they know it's there, or will it help the diagnostics if I bypass it.
When in doubt, bypass. They may know that it is there, but have they noted it to your account? Do they care enough to?

I don't know if it will "help the diagnostics" in a meaningful manner, but it will help you sleep better knowing that any data regarding your mod didn't get documented. Or at least you did whatever you could do prevent any data regarding your tuner from being enshrined in BMW records.

Sleeping well is key my friend. Even if the steps are ultimately meaningless.

Bypass the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #64
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When in doubt, bypass. They may know that it is there, but have they noted it to your account? Do they care enough to?

I don't know if it will "help the diagnostics" in a meaningful manner, but it will help you sleep better knowing that any data regarding your mod didn't get documented. Or at least you did whatever you could do prevent any data regarding your tuner from being enshrined in BMW records.

Sleeping well is key my friend. Even if the steps are ultimately meaningless.

Bypass the damn thing.
Thanks man, I agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #65
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think it really matters. How much warranty do you have left? I'm still a firm believer that the Dinan product is sound and if something goes sideways, it's probably not a function of the tune. I realize BMWNA may have a different take.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #66
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I don’t know how bypassing it could help any diagnostics, unless you had a CEL and somehow there was a gray area to whether the dinan tuner was causing it or not. Even then, installing the bypass plug doesn’t physically change the fact that it “splices” other connections, which could be the root cause of an issue in and of itself.
Appreciate 0