THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Oil jet black after just 4K miles?

11-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Oil jet black after just 4K miles?

I own a 2017 M240i (6MT) and it has 8800 miles on it. It had an oil change at 2000 miles (by dealer), 4000 miles (by dealer) and at 8800 miles (DIY by me). At the last oil change, I noticed the oil was jet black. I can't imagine leaving it in for 10K miles. I wonder if the dealer didn't even change the oil at all. Has anyone else changed their own oil and noticed it as "jet black"??
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I own a 2017 M240i (6MT) and it has 8800 miles on it. It had an oil change at 2000 miles (by dealer), 4000 miles (by dealer) and at 8800 miles (DIY by me). At the last oil change, I noticed the oil was jet black. I can't imagine leaving it in for 10K miles. I wonder if the dealer didn't even change the oil at all. Has anyone else changed their own oil and noticed it as "jet black"??
With a modern high detergent synthetic oil, colour has little meaning, especially with GDI engines where tiny soot particles (micron sized) can stay suspended in the oil with no detrimental effect due to being too small to filter or have any wear effect on the engine. 500km / 300 miles is normally enough to turn the oil from golden to medium brown and dark brown or even black within a few thousand kilometres, even though the oil is only through a fraction of it’s life.

Only an oil analysis will indicate the state of the oil, not the colour.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

you have to put the oil in a glass jar and look at it with light source behind it.

I don't think of my oil as jet black when I do my 5000 mile changes.

though when I used Red Line oil years ago and did 6000 mile oil changes that oil did appear quite dark when it poured from sump into drain pan, and from container to container - so it is hard to make a conclusion.
Appreciate 1