THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) A-Pillar scuff

03-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

A-Pillar scuff

Hi,

The other day, a car in front of us in an express lane drifted right and clipped the lane separator. This section uses those annoying plastic upright markers. A fairly heavy piece of debris caught air and landed on the top of our right fender and climbed the passenger side A-pillar. (We had the top down, and were lucky nothing hit my wife or me.)

It looks like the debris was made of a heavy plastic or rubber. It left a black or dark gray mark along the entire way, and also on the side mirror housing. I _think_ most of the mark is material left from the debris.

What is the best way to take this off, progressing from approaches with the least impact on the finish? Would a Magic Eraser do more harm than good?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: No fun car right now

Wash it, hit it with iron remover, clay it, then you can try buffing it out by hand with a microfiber pad and some scratch doctor or a similar product. I've had something similar happen a few different times, and that has been my go-to for removing the scuffs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Please don't use the Magic Eraser on your paint.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Try a bug/tar remover and/or solvent like rubbing alcohol before switching to scratch doctor or other abrasives.
Appreciate 0