THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 228i (N20) Exhausts sound like stock?

11-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
Ivchom
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 228i

I like everything what i am reading about muffler delete so far!I am currently running with custom cat back and i love it but after a few months now i want it a bit deeper and louder sound!I asked around a few welding shops and got mixed opinions about muffler delete.Some said to me it’s gonna be louder but raspy sound not deep and clean,is there something true to that?Also if i go with it do you think it’s gonna be better with dual exhaust like 235i or keep it twin on one side in terms of better sound and less droning or that doesn’t matter?Thanks a lot in advance for your opinions and advices!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:03 AM   #24
bstone995
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Cabrio (F23)

I was totally set on the Active Autowerke exhaust, until I stopped by a local muffler shop. I thought maybe some new exhaust tips would be good enough to keep me from spending the money on the AA for a bit. While I was there the owner made me one hell of an offer on a FlowMaster Classic. With the condition that if I don't like the sound he would remove it. It cost me $300 out the door and it sounds like a V8. Not an annoying, overly loud V8. Just a nice, smooth and deep rumble. The burbles are there but even those have a smoother tone than the rattle that some exhausts make. I had some buyers remorse at first, because it wasn't the exhaust I had my heart set on. It sounds so nice and saved me $300. I'm very satisfied with my decision now. Bonus: That $300 price included a custom, staggered installation of Akrapovic, carbon fiber, exhaust tips (I already had those). I would recommend this exhaust system to anyone who wants their vehicle to sound like it has balls. It's not the exhaust for you if you're looking for a system that sounds like a midget in your trunk, running two gas-powered leaf blowers.

2016 BMW F23 Cabrio
- Burger Motorsports JB4
- MishiMoto Intake
- FlowMaster

Last edited by bstone995; 01-23-2020 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #25
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstone995 View Post
I was totally set on the Active Autowerke exhaust, until I stopped by a local muffler shop. I thought maybe some new exhaust tips would be good enough to keep me from spending the money on the AA for a bit. While I was there the owner made me one hell of an offer on a FlowMaster Classic. With the condition that if I don't like the sound he would remove it. It cost me $300 out the door and it sounds like a V8. Not an annoying, overly loud V8. Just a nice, smooth and deep rumble. The burbles are there but even those have a smoother tone than the rattle that some exhausts make. I had some buyers remorse at first, because it wasn't the exhaust I had my heart set on. It sounds so nice and saved me $300. I'm very satisfied with my decision now. Bonus: That $300 price included a custom, staggered installation of Akrapovic, carbon fiber, exhaust tips (I already had those). I would recommend this exhaust system to anyone who wants their vehicle to sound like it has balls. It's not the exhaust for you if you're looking for a system that sounds like a midget in your trunk, running two gas-powered leaf blowers.
I'm very interested. Can you share the specs your shop used. Did you do split wide dual pipes or keep the two outlets on the drivers side? Thanks!