THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) F22 M240i Wash Process Video

06-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: No fun car right now

F22 M240i Wash Process Video

Decided to start a YouTube channel not too long ago. I'm still learning how to film/edit, so it's by no means fancy. Either way, here's the latest video showing how I wash my 2019 M240i.

Appreciate 5
Maynard3804.50
harry.h65.50
nazali1264.50
      06-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Cool video, I'll have to check out your others; that ceramic coat gives a fantastic gloss. You are just down the road from me, perhaps I'll see you at a GVC meet, if things ever open up. A couple of suggestions from my routine, perhaps unnecessary if you have the ceramic coat (I try to clear the worst crap before using the mitt):
- good to use 2 bucket system ; I use a 3rd with just a little water for the wheels since it gets so gritty.
- wash inner wheel wells after wheels
- knock off the worst dirt from the lower areas and don't get it on your nice mitt;
use a separate rag/mitt to wash rockers and wheel arches; door sills (engine compartment if I'm really thorough), rear lower bumper, front and mirror bugzones;
then do top-down (roof, hood/trunk, sides). Long linear strokes, no swirling.
- If I'm in hot sun (usually) I need to rinse each area, or it will dry the soap on.
- I learned that, in the winter, latex exam gloves work like a wetsuit and keep you from getting frostbite (you do continue this through the winter so your neighbors know you are totally nuts, right? ).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Cool video, I'll have to check out your others; that ceramic coat gives a fantastic gloss. You are just down the road from me, perhaps I'll see you at a GVC meet, if things ever open up. A couple of suggestions from my routine, perhaps unnecessary if you have the ceramic coat (I try to clear the worst crap before using the mitt):
- good to use 2 bucket system ; I use a 3rd with just a little water for the wheels since it gets so gritty.
- wash inner wheel wells after wheels
- knock off the worst dirt from the lower areas and don't get it on your nice mitt;
use a separate rag/mitt to wash rockers and wheel arches; door sills (engine compartment if I'm really thorough), rear lower bumper, front and mirror bugzones;
then do top-down (roof, hood/trunk, sides). Long linear strokes, no swirling.
- If I'm in hot sun (usually) I need to rinse each area, or it will dry the soap on.
- I learned that, in the winter, latex exam gloves work like a wetsuit and keep you from getting frostbite (you do continue this through the winter so your neighbors know you are totally nuts, right? ).
Thanks for the comment and the tips! I didn't show it on camera due to time, but I did have three buckets rolling. Totally agree with you on the winter cleans! When it gets cold, I will also use warm water in my wash bucket -- cold water makes washing absolutely miserable, and warm water takes a lot of the edge off. I will also cheat at times and take the car to the spray wash. Little Optimum MDR in my pump sprayer works well to loosen up the road salt, and then I'll follow up with a rinseless wash in the garage when I get back. Also really love that they use hot water in the sprayers here. It also doesn't hurt to hide the fact that we ARE totally nuts sometimes!

I actually just did a follow-up video on wheels. Mine stay pretty clean, so I used one of my in-laws' cars. Here's the link to that one:

Last edited by rfranklin; 06-20-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
harry.h65.50
      06-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #4
SkyeC
Too many cars, not enough time
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

I will usually wash my wheels first and dump the soap/water from that.

Let's you start fresh w/ 2 bucket and then not waste time at the end doing wheels so you can focus on drying the car.
      06-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
rfranklin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeC View Post
I will usually wash my wheels first and dump the soap/water from that.

Let's you start fresh w/ 2 bucket and then not waste time at the end doing wheels so you can focus on drying the car.
I do the same thing, but I have a separate bucket I use exclusively for wheels. Thanks to all the brake dust, my wheel bucket is always nasty after cleaning my wheels. Haven't moved over to yellow stuff pads, but that's coming in the near(ish) future!
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      06-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeC View Post
I will usually wash my wheels first...
That is the suggestion of most pros, too. Prevents you from getting wheel contaminants on your clean paint.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
BCM240
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

This is super helpful, thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
selbyp93
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Just came accross this thread and realize this video is exactly what I need! Thanks for the great videos!!! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Thanks for the video, but please allow me to add some "improvements":
1. Using high pressure water can get water into places it doesn't belong. Why? Can manufacturers use thinner and smaller gaskets to save weight and $. I use a hose without a nozzle and let the water cascade down the car.
2. I use the mildest products that can do the job. I clean the wheels with Meguirs car wash and a foam/mesh scrubbie. I wash the car with a mild shampoo designed for car paint.
3. I always use the 2 bucket method. The first bucket has the soapy water and the second, a 5 gallon contractor bucket, contains water. I rinse the microfiber wash mitt in water to get the particles out of the mitt. This prevents microscratches/swirls in the paint.
4. I use 100% cotton towels to dry my car. I drag the towel across horizontal surfaces, basically extering no pressure. I apply light pressure on vertical surfaces.

JMHO
Appreciate 1
harry.h65.50
      10-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Nice vid... But here's some more (to add) for the lunatics like me...

*Wheels first, but no finish touches until car is complete

1. Deluge rinse first with free glowing hose
2. Power rinse
3. Spray foam and let sit 5-10mins but don't let dry on paint
(No wash yet)
4. Repeat #1 & #2
5. Repeat #3, sit 5 mins and mit wash, 2 buckets with mesh ramps
6. Repeat #1 & #2, but add a rinse with deionized water if you have that setup to prevent any hard water spots or unclean finish
7. Do all jams with wet soapy but not dripping microfiber
8. Air dry (power) if not, skip
9. Towel wipe, no - to little - pressure with paint application, boost or whatever you like while drying to provide low friction drag.
10. finish wheels and rubber
11. Glass

If there's any bugs or other contaminants, after step #3 they're attacked

2 years on and paint still looks great, very little if any artifacts introduced other than unavoidable chips and such. But hey, it's all good. Thanks for posting and don't mind my obsessiveness, lol
Appreciate 1
harry.h65.50
      10-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
harry.h
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Nice vid... But here's some more (to add) for the lunatics like me...

*Wheels first, but no finish touches until car is complete

1. Deluge rinse first with free glowing hose
2. Power rinse
3. Spray foam and let sit 5-10mins but don't let dry on paint
(No wash yet)
4. Repeat #1 & #2
5. Repeat #3, sit 5 mins and mit wash, 2 buckets with mesh ramps
6. Repeat #1 & #2, but add a rinse with deionized water if you have that setup to prevent any hard water spots or unclean finish
7. Do all jams with wet soapy but not dripping microfiber
8. Air dry (power) if not, skip
9. Towel wipe, no - to little - pressure with paint application, boost or whatever you like while drying to provide low friction drag.
10. finish wheels and rubber
11. Glass

If there's any bugs or other contaminants, after step #3 they're attacked

2 years on and paint still looks great, very little if any artifacts introduced other than unavoidable chips and such. But hey, it's all good. Thanks for posting and don't mind my obsessiveness, lol
Jeez the way you clean I'm sure your car will still look brand new 30 years later hahaha
Appreciate 1
cooolone2610.50
      11-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #12
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

that car is quite simply AWESOME

and great video, very good !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranklin View Post
Decided to start a YouTube channel not too long ago. I'm still learning how to film/edit, so it's by no means fancy. Either way, here's the latest video showing how I wash my 2019 M240i.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:56 PM   #13
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

thoes hose things under the wheels GREAT IDEA
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #14
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

ONLY advise I would offer and certainly IMHO when working on a car, don't use flip-flops or bare skin, some of these chemicals, oils etc, could cause skin irritation, (not in this case) but dropping something on your foot will hurt.

Also NO BELTS or RINGS

I've got in and the next day and had peeling skin, I realised later I'd got something on my skin and I wasn't wearing gloves, I also have psoriasis and very dry skin, so that didn't help.

Once in a while I guess is fine, but be carefull, you only have one foot, 1 skin, once something happens it's too late,

Just an observation not a judgement, keep it up great video, MORE PLEASE
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:05 AM   #15
Zed33
Registered
Rep
Drives: '19 Tacoma TRD Sport

Great video and beautiful car. As others have suggested, consider using the two bucket method as it will keep your wash mitt from picking back up the dirt you just cleaned off.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 10:57 PM   #16
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed33 View Post
Great video and beautiful car. As others have suggested, consider using the two bucket method as it will keep your wash mitt from picking back up the dirt you just cleaned off.
Two buckets, and two mits as well. One for the top 2/3 of car, the other not at the end, but only for the lower and front of car where all the most dirt is... Top down clean always as this is how the dirt will migrate with water. It helps prevent picking up any grit that you might drag onto the paint... But the two bucket with mesh grid inside works really well to help get any grit off your mits. Lol... A bit nuts, but keeps paint in top shape.

Winter is the toughest... Always hope for the nice warm day here and there to sneak a wash in. Otherwise cheat by finding one of those DIY wash and use their pressure sprayers to get all the grit off but good, then drive it home and warm 2 bucket wash in driveway without pressure washer/foam. Multiple bucket rinse... Use a spray as well on wet surface with waffle cloth to dry, spray reduces surface drag, dries and shines at same time. Mostly Wolfgang products, they're great!
Appreciate 0