THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Thoughts on....

10-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Thoughts on....

...Bavarian Sound Ghost woofers. I'd like to hear other members' experience with these woofers. I've replaced the factory HK amp with the Audiotec-Fischer MATCH 7UP BMW amp with is very tune-able.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Are they better... yeah. Are they $600 better? I don't think so. I have them and will keep them in but meh. Bass is more musical but that's a lot of cash for a little more tone.
Appreciate 1
Rollo`124.00
      10-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
Are they better... yeah. Are they $600 better? I don't think so. I have them and will keep them in but meh. Bass is more musical but that's a lot of cash for a little more tone.
Thanks for the feedback. What would you buy now knowing that the Ghost Woofers are so-so?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You're better off getting an enclosure from Murray at Visual Ice in the UK, installing a dedicated speaker in the trunk. Install is easy you just need signal and remote on/off from your upgraded amp then a power hookup.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Thanks for the feedback. What would you buy now knowing that the Ghost Woofers are so-so?
Honestly, what BEM just said. Get an enclosure if you want bass. Swap out the woofers if you want clearer and faster mid to low tone. Spend $4k re-doing your stereo if you want to fix everything that is awful about it and money ain't no thang.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm not looking for bone rattling bass, and I'm not sure I want to install a sub in the trunk. I'm looking for recs to replace the factory subs. My car came with the (worthless) HK option.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

I'd just get the Bavsound ones when they go on sale for the holidays in that case, they're fine and easy for what you're trying to accomplish. Also hold their value pretty well if/when you get rid of your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'd just get the Bavsound ones when they go on sale for the holidays in that case, they're fine and easy for what you're trying to accomplish. Also hold their value pretty well if/when you get rid of your car.
I'm curious if bavsound, with the upgraded amp, would sound better than the integral audio setup.

It would set them around the same price point.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I'm curious if bavsound, with the upgraded amp, would sound better than the integral audio setup.

Not sure - it's hard to get any decent side by side comparison for any of this stuff. I went with Bavsound because they had a flexible return policy and U.S. customer support - could easily demo myself and all I'd be out would be a few hours of my time for install and removal.

If I were to start over and want something better than one of the plug and play solutions I'd get a pro to do full Focal and JL install. They could easily tune the system that way I couldn't find anyone local to work on the Match amp nobody touches that stuff close by.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post

I have both the amp and ghosts, so here's my take.

Together, it is a night and day difference. The amp helps a ton cause its way more powerful. 1300 watts. And the tune they have on it is honestly pretty amazing for a plug and play. Still don't get a manual EQ, but again they did very well with the tune. For shits and giggles i turned the volume all the way up on many occasions (briefly) and there was ZERO distortion (even with the rest of the HK speakers actually)

I'm a musician for a living and mix a ton of audio. I wouldn't be able to live with it if it actually sucked The ghost subs are definitely better than HK, very rich and deep. Not heart pounding, but very good if you don't want a dedicated sub. Depending on what music you listen to, you can definitely get these shakin for small mid range subs. Pretty impressive. They are very good for funk, R&B/soul, jazz and classical music. Personally, I don't think they are that great for rock music.

As for the amp, supposedly they are not making them anymore for the 2 series. Also you needed to have the HK system to get it. I got lucky and got the first (and i think only batch in early 2019) that they manufactured. I could be wrong though. Anyway, my only gripe is there's no manual EQ and DSP settings and when i fade, even one notch to the rear, you start losing bass cause bass follows the fade to the rear. They should have made the spread to the rear a little further in the tune as it sits just a tiny bit too upfront at even balanced fader. (but still night and day compared to stock HK) The pre-installed tune EQ and timing is phenomenal though. They obviously spent alot of time on it. If there was a way to make the Ghosts dedicated, that would be absolutely enough to not have to upgrade further to a dedicated sub. I might at some point do it and upgrade the rest of the speakers, but again the HKs are fine for now. I've lived with it for almost 2 years.

All in all, pretty happy. All my musician friends that have been in the car (a couple are big time producers) have been very impressed for what it is. Could you improve on it? Sure.

On a side note, if you are able to get the amp and only replace the subs, you HAVE TO make sure the amp setting is on AMBER, not green. The only time you use green is if you replace all speakers to Bavsound. Very important. Cause it sounds like shit on green if you don't have all their speakers.

One last point about the subs. At low volume, they're meh. It sounds musical. But at mid to loud-ish, they sound pretty damn good. You also have to break them in for roughly 20 hours. They really do get better with more play time (Which is consistent with higher end speakers)

OHHHH and make sure you KEEP THE STOCK AMP. DO NOT SELL IT in case you have to a BMW software update. It will not go through with anything but the original amp!!!!!
Hope this helps.

Last edited by PurpleFunkMan; 10-14-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

I've replaced the factory amp with an Audiotec-Fischer MARCH 7UP BMW amp with the optional Bluetooth module. The sound is amazing even though I've done only rudimentary tuning to the amp. The amp is designed for the F22 and similar. The amp has 2 sub channels, each producing 160w RMS into 2 ohm sub.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
I've replaced the factory amp with an Audiotec-Fischer MARCH 7UP BMW amp with the optional Bluetooth module. The sound is amazing even though I've done only rudimentary tuning to the amp. The amp is designed for the F22 and similar. The amp has 2 sub channels, each producing 160w RMS into 2 ohm sub.
If you're ever up north you're more than welcome to listen to my car. I've got everything you've done plus all the stuff you're thinking about, and I have remotes in the armrest for everything so could turn things on and off easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Absolutely! We have friends in Wayne, so I may take you up on the offer!
Appreciate 0