THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Negative camber after pothole

10-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Jllor97
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i 2016

Exclamation Negative camber after pothole

BMW friends,

About 2 weeks ago I hit a pothole going about 60mph. I immediately pulled over and to no surprise I popped the right front tire on my 2016 235i (not using run flats because too expensive in my country.) Real issue as stated in the title is I immediately noticed negative camber on the affected wheel.

After getting the car to a shop, putting a new tire and later driving it, I was surprised the car wasn't vibrating or swaying to any side. Since then, I got the wheels aligned and the mechanic couldn't spot any obvious damage to the wheel/suspension from a quick inspection without disassembly. Regardless the alignment test confirmed the negative camber.

Hoping you guys could give me some tips on what damage to look out for??

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I would look for any damaged or bent parts. where they able bring the camber back into spec how far out was it ? i would have the wheel that took the hit at the least re-balanced when they spin it up they will be able to see if it is has been bent. there can be a pretty good bend in a wheel and still not feel it. i would also check all ball joints and tie rod ends for play.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllor97 View Post
BMW friends,

About 2 weeks ago I hit a pothole going about 60mph. I immediately pulled over and to no surprise I popped the right front tire on my 2016 235i (not using run flats because too expensive in my country.) Real issue as stated in the title is I immediately noticed negative camber on the affected wheel.

After getting the car to a shop, putting a new tire and later driving it, I was surprised the car wasn't vibrating or swaying to any side. Since then, I got the wheels aligned and the mechanic couldn't spot any obvious damage to the wheel/suspension from a quick inspection without disassembly. Regardless the alignment test confirmed the negative camber.

Hoping you guys could give me some tips on what damage to look out for??

Thanks in advance.
How much camber ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Do you have print outs of the alignment? How much camber we talking about?
Is there a large difference from side to side according to the alignment.

One sort of quick way to to check is to have the Vehicle set up on the alignment machine, after the measurments, you want to Gently/slowly remove the Front struts upper nut.
Dont completely remove it just enough to loosen it. Then turn the shaft of the strut from the top using the 8/10mm or allen socket (cant remember what exactly it is off the top of my head) and watch your alignment numbers. If the Camber changes while turning the Shaft of the strut then you need a new strut. If nothing changes and there si still a large difference from side to side then the side you hit the pot hole in while require a complete new steering knuckle (BMW calls it a Swivel Bearing)
Appreciate 0