THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Ordering m240i questions

04-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

Ordering m240i questions

Hello,

I test drove an m240i yesterday, and was blown away. I'm considering ordering, as my preferred configuration (manual, namely) is hard to come by. I looked over the port install options, and would like a couple of those too. Can someone explain to me what the ordering process is like? Do I configure my car on the BMW site, and then also mention to my dealer I would like certain port installed options?

With that said, is there any sort of negotiation power when ordering these cars? My employer offers the BMW purchase program, which looks like 1.5-3k off invoice depending on which financing I choose. I don't know if I'd be better off trying to negotiate myself (not too confident in my ability). The dealers website has prices which seem a little high to me, high 50's for most of them. Not looking to add a ton of options myself, I don't think I even want the premium package, as I live in north FL and heated seats and steering wheel have little value and the other options don't seem worth 2.5k to me. Anyone else feel it's worth it?

Any additional tips for a bmw newbie are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Welcome to the family and there is always negotiating power on the table. With the 2 series starting to reach the end of it's life cycle before the refresh in a year or 2, you might be able to negotiate at a minimum 1-2k off MSRP.

Negotiate the price before you mention the added BMW purchase program because any incentive offer such as this is reimbursed to the dealer. If you only mention this, they will try to tell you they are losing money on the vehicle already and can't give any additional money off. This is a straight up lie on the dealer's end. Invoice is usually 3-5k below MSRP to allow negotiations and market interests.

Do a build on BMWUSA.com with the options you want and print the build. Take this with you to the dealer so they know what you're looking to order. Know what this MSRP is so you can negotiate. This won't include the dealer fees/TTT, keep that in mind as well. Whatever you agree upon, or they say is their "best offer they can provide," get it in writing, a paper copy of the build offer with all TTT and fees. It is highly recommended, if you have the option within your area, to do the exact same thing at a different BMW dealer as well. This will provide you with 2 dealers, giving their "best offer" that you can take back to the other for them to try and beat. Adds a little more time to the car buying process, but it could save you an additional 1-2k on the car.

Recommended to visit the Pricing thread on the forum here to see what other offers people are receiving. Might be able to find someone in a close proximity that recently purchased a 2er similar to yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

U might want to join consumer reports and use their car buying price service - that way you’ll be in a good out the door price.

Also u can do a lot of negotiation online, that way your in a more relaxed state to consider each factor before replying back.

If your hesitant in your negotiating skills, I again recommend the consumer reports buying service - which is basically an estimate of what the car has been selling on average in your area and a written text on how to negotiate each step of the buying process - even with your employer BMW purchasing service.

Also important to calculate the out the door price on your own and negotiate that figure and not get in a sale price plus tax, tags etcetera style negotiation.

And finally, nothing is settled until you sign the papers, so don’t let your guard down and don’t deviate frm your prepared sale price until the contract is presented for you to read and sign.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

A less optioned car might be less desirable down the line for resale. Keep that in mind unless you plan on driving until the wheels fall off. Yes, you can negotiate a special order. I've done it several times. Build your car online and take a copy with you to the dealer. Anywhere from 8-10% off MSRP is a good deal. Good luck.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
ledpocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240xi

On options, my advice is to get the adaptive led lights (~$800 I think) if you're even close to thinking you might want them.

Since led is std now (I believe) it's not as big a jump over the old halogen, but for sure the adaptive leds are waaaaay cooler :-)

I got the premium pkg on my 240. If I remember correctly, it was the only way to get the auto dimming mirrors (not certain of this).

The car I bought also came with collision avoidance, lane departure, and speed limit info which is all from a camera in front of the rear view. I didn't really want it, but there weren't any other cars close by with the rest of the options I wanted (dealer trade). Turns out I kind of like the features, so I'm happy. Haven't had to test out the collision avoidance, but did get a couple red warnings on the dash when I got close.

Also came with m-perf side sill stickers. Not a fan of how the look on a black car and pretty much going to flush the $ when I get around to peeling them off.

Mine also came with the m-perf package which I think was front splitter, black kidneys and wheels, and side skirts. Still had the std rear diffuser. I think it was $1500. I'm thinking I could have skipped the package and got aftermarket wheels and done the rest myself for cheaper, but again dealer trade...I was antsy to get a car and didn't want to wait on a custom order.

I don't have any good tips on negotiating
      04-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
Raadness
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240ix cp

Garage List
2020 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Join BMW CCA. With a 3 yr membership($134) you qualify for a $500 rebate on a 2er.

In the past you had to be a member for a yr before qualifying.

just note the rebate can take a while to receive

https://www.bmwcca.org/
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

ordering and question on program

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollier91 View Post
Hello,

I test drove an m240i yesterday, and was blown away. I'm considering ordering, as my preferred configuration (manual, namely) is hard to come by. I looked over the port install options, and would like a couple of those too. Can someone explain to me what the ordering process is like? Do I configure my car on the BMW site, and then also mention to my dealer I would like certain port installed options?

With that said, is there any sort of negotiation power when ordering these cars? My employer offers the BMW purchase program, which looks like 1.5-3k off invoice depending on which financing I choose. I don't know if I'd be better off trying to negotiate myself (not too confident in my ability). The dealers website has prices which seem a little high to me, high 50's for most of them. Not looking to add a ton of options myself, I don't think I even want the premium package, as I live in north FL and heated seats and steering wheel have little value and the other options don't seem worth 2.5k to me. Anyone else feel it's worth it?

Any additional tips for a bmw newbie are appreciated!
I have a M240i on order and ordered the M235i that I drive now. Also ordered other BMWs (1 series, M3s) before these cars. Most were dealer deliveries, but have also done Euro delivery. Most were also manual transmissions. Ordering is a great way to get exactly what you want.

$1.5 - 3K under invoice sounds like a great deal. What program is this?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
Mtnbkrlts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you're looking at ordering a new m240i with a stick, how about looking around for a 2017 or 2018 M2 with 5k to 10k miles on it? My brand new 2018 was negotiated down to a little over $51k, used you could grab a gently used one in perfect condition for mid-40's right now. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post
I have a M240i on order and ordered the M235i that I drive now. Also ordered other BMWs (1 series, M3s) before these cars. Most were dealer deliveries, but have also done Euro delivery. Most were also manual transmissions. Ordering is a great way to get exactly what you want.

Here's the direct quote from my employer:

"The program allows employees to receive "invoice" pricing (Dealer Cost) on new BMW passenger cars, plus an additional allowance of $1,500 (if use BMW Financial Services) or $3,000 (cash or non-BMW financing). Should you finance through BMW Financial Services, in addition to the $1,500 credit, any current sales programs on the vehicle would also be applied. This program is designed to remove any negotiation with the dealer in an effort to make the process easy and enjoyable."

Doesn't seem like there will be any more negotiation below invoice, eh? They'd be straight up losing money on a rare-ish car that is getting special ordered.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Welcome to the family and there is always negotiating power on the table. With the 2 series starting to reach the end of it's life cycle before the refresh in a year or 2, you might be able to negotiate at a minimum 1-2k off MSRP.

Negotiate the price before you mention the added BMW purchase program because any incentive offer such as this is reimbursed to the dealer. If you only mention this, they will try to tell you they are losing money on the vehicle already and can't give any additional money off. This is a straight up lie on the dealer's end. Invoice is usually 3-5k below MSRP to allow negotiations and market interests.

Do a build on BMWUSA.com with the options you want and print the build. Take this with you to the dealer so they know what you're looking to order. Know what this MSRP is so you can negotiate. This won't include the dealer fees/TTT, keep that in mind as well. Whatever you agree upon, or they say is their "best offer they can provide," get it in writing, a paper copy of the build offer with all TTT and fees. It is highly recommended, if you have the option within your area, to do the exact same thing at a different BMW dealer as well. This will provide you with 2 dealers, giving their "best offer" that you can take back to the other for them to try and beat. Adds a little more time to the car buying process, but it could save you an additional 1-2k on the car.

Recommended to visit the Pricing thread on the forum here to see what other offers people are receiving. Might be able to find someone in a close proximity that recently purchased a 2er similar to yours.
My employer purchase deal is actually 1.5-3k below invoice, not msrp, so I don't think I'll actually be able to negotiate any more. After customizing my car here I reach an invoice price of 44,775, plus a couple port options I'm looking at the 47k range, minus my discount of up to 3k.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raadness View Post
Join BMW CCA. With a 3 yr membership($134) you qualify for a $500 rebate on a 2er.

In the past you had to be a member for a yr before qualifying.

just note the rebate can take a while to receive

https://www.bmwcca.org/
Thanks, Ill look into this and see if I can apply this on top of my other programs. Is the rebate through bmw or through this CCA?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My employer purchase deal is actually 1.5-3k below invoice, not msrp, so I don't think I'll actually be able to negotiate any more. After customizing my car here I reach an invoice price of 44,775, plus a couple port options I'm looking at the 47k range, minus my discount of up to 3k.
Had not seen the Costco build. Thanks for providing the link.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Had not seen the Costco build. Thanks for providing the link.
Yes, super handy to get an actual invoice price all spec'd out the way you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

LSD

Quote:
Yes, super handy to get an actual invoice price all spec'd out the way you want.
The build feature on BMWUSA shows a limited slip differential as an available option. This option was not shown in the BMW's order guide and interestingly it doesn't show up on the costco site either.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #15
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
I have a M240i on order and ordered the M235i that I drive now. Also ordered other BMWs (1 series, M3s) before these cars. Most were dealer deliveries, but have also done Euro delivery. Dafont Showbox Adam4adam Most were also manual transmissions. Ordering is a great way to get exactly what you want.

Also important to calculate the out the door price on your own and negotiate that figure and not get in a sale price plus tax, tags etcetera style negotiation.

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 09-21-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #16
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Appreciate 0