THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Eton Coaxials for HiFi stereo

03-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
neeraj619
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Eton Coaxials for HiFi stereo

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of threads on here regarding upgrading the speaker systems in our F22s but I haven't seen any regarding Eton coaxials for Hifi systems. Looks like their B100XW is a coaxial version of the B100W component speakers that seem to be well regarded in these forums.

Please give me your thoughts if you have had the opportunity to try these. Im sure the fitment and compatibility will be fine, but am more concerned about the quality. Would this be worth the upgrade/ would this do what the B100Ws did for the HK setups? Anything else I should consider?

PS. this is stated on the Eton website: 'For using the ETON UG loudspeakers directly with the OEM system / DSP amplifier, you had to use additional the B100 XHP crossovers.' Any ideas on if this is required?

FYI Im running a M235, Hifi system, no plans to upgrade the stock amp. I have disconnected the center speaker. I do plan to remove/code out the ASD, as well as to upgrade the rears with JL Audio coaxes in the future.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
pbb911
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix

Would be interested to hear anyone's experience on this as well. Specifically, I wonder where you'd install the crossover for these speakers?

The non-coax version of these speakers (B100W, eg) have two connectors. One connects the midrange to the amp, and the other daisy-chains to the separate tweeter. I assume that the crossover would be installed inline between the midrange and the tweeter, right?

The B100XW coax's also have two connectors. One connects to the amp, but what about the second connector? Is it unused on this speaker, or would you need to connect it back to the amp as well (with a 'Y' harness on the cable from the amp perhaps) in order to drive the tweeter? If that's the case, then you could install the crossover on the tweeter leg of the 'Y,' but otherwise, I don't see where you'd install it.

Not an audio guy, obviously....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

My concern is the low efficiency of the Eton's with the lower power of the hi-fi amp. I'm going to get Focals instead due to 90 db efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

As many Etons are, these are highly unusual speakers plainly designed for two overarching goals:
- Ease of installation using OEM wiring, plugs, and power
- Ease of integration with aftermarket power solutions

Note three things in the image of the coaxials:

1). As pbb911 notes, it has dual female plugs for BMW's proprietary male wiring plugs. However, There's no real point for a 'daisy chain' plug like the components have because the speakers are not physically separated. I believe the second plug is simply a 'convenience' plug to daisy chain in a third speaker, or use the array in a system already set up as components.

2). The wires on the rim of the basket. For each female plug, one lead goes to the midrange's voice coil, and the other goes to the tweeter through the midrange's cone. This is proof that each speaker receives a full-range signal.

3). Those wires are also proof that there is no built-in crossover like the vast majority of coaxials have. Eton (and, more frequently, other aftermarket coaxial makers) do this on purpose because so many aftermarket amp/DSP solutions have active crossover networks that work far, far better than passive in-speaker solutions.

I would not run these speakers without a crossover in any application.

By the way, Eton misrepresents its 'crossovers'. Crossovers, by definition, are dual-band: they start to cut output at a certain frequency, then start to allow output at another, higher frequency -- hence the term 'crossover'. Eton's unit are actually high-pass filters ONLY. The one recommended for these coaxials cuts at 150Hz. That means that unless there is a second passive high-pass filter somewhere in the coaxial's construction that takes out frequencies between 150Hz and, 2-3Khz (very possible, but I see no evidence of that in the speakers' images), the tweeters are getting a near-full-range signal, too. That is NOT good.

I've heard a couple of Eton sets personally. They're an improvement over OEM, to be sure, but there are better choices out there. Just because they're 'hand-made in Germany' doesn't mean they're the best choice -- in fact, I'd argue that they are likely more middle-of-the-road at Etons' price point because the price includes a higher margin than normal for two things:
- the higher cost of labor
- the convenience of installation and use

Last edited by Viffermike; 04-04-2019 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

If the speakers are labeled “coaxial” then the “crossover” (bass blocking capacitor) is included.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
pbb911
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix

Installed the B100xw's, with the crossovers, yesterday. The high end and overall clarity are MUCH improved. Mid-range is also better, but I'm hoping it will improve as the speakers burn in.

At this point, I've upgraded the fronts, installed a bit of dynamat to cover the bare metal around the speakers, installed the technic ASD harness and disconnected the middle speaker. Audio's much improved across the board, but one thought keeps coming up: The original hifi setup really isn't so bad in a driver's car like ours... The extra engine noise and audio that's just crappy enough that you're not tempted to turn it up seems to bring you a little closer to the road. I'm not going back anytime soon, but am not throwing out the original speakers either.

In case in helps -- the eton crossovers are pretty big. I found a decent pocket for them in the lower front of each door card, right above the corner mounting clip. I wrapped a piece of Velcro around the middle of each one to fatten them up a bit, and it's a good press-fit to keep them from rattling once you snap the door card back in place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
If the speakers are labeled “coaxial” then the “crossover” (bass blocking capacitor) is included.
That's not always true these days, as Eton's approach represents. All 'coaxial' means is that there are two dedicated drivers in a single assembly -- the word 'coaxial' literally means 'two sharing one axis', i.e. two drivers in one place.

As an example, most of CDT Audio's ES- and HD-series coaxials do not include a built-in crossover -- that's why most are sold with outboard passive units, like many component systems. This gives the installer the option to either use the supplied passive crossovers or an amp's active crossovers to power the speakers -- and, thus, not be slaved to the often low-quality passive crossovers that coaxial assemblies commonly use.

Here's CDT Audio's coaxial line for proof/comparison.

Last edited by Viffermike; 04-17-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
sauceonside
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
As many Etons are, these are highly unusual speakers plainly designed for two overarching goals:
- Ease of installation using OEM wiring, plugs, and power
- Ease of integration with aftermarket power solutions

Note three things in the image of the coaxials:

1). As pbb911 notes, it has dual female plugs for BMW's proprietary male wiring plugs. However, There's no real point for a 'daisy chain' plug like the components have because the speakers are not physically separated. I believe the second plug is simply a 'convenience' plug to daisy chain in a third speaker, or use the array in a system already set up as components.

2). The wires on the rim of the basket. For each female plug, one lead goes to the midrange's voice coil, and the other goes to the tweeter through the midrange's cone. This is proof that each speaker receives a full-range signal.

3). Those wires are also proof that there is no built-in crossover like the vast majority of coaxials have. Eton (and, more frequently, other aftermarket coaxial makers) do this on purpose because so many aftermarket amp/DSP solutions have active crossover networks that work far, far better than passive in-speaker solutions.

I would not run these speakers without a crossover in any application.

By the way, Eton misrepresents its 'crossovers'. Crossovers, by definition, are dual-band: they start to cut output at a certain frequency, then start to allow output at another, higher frequency -- hence the term 'crossover'. Eton's unit are actually high-pass filters ONLY. The one recommended for these coaxials cuts at 150Hz. That means that unless there is a second passive high-pass filter somewhere in the coaxial's construction that takes out frequencies between 150Hz and, 2-3Khz (very possible, but I see no evidence of that in the speakers' images), the tweeters are getting a near-full-range signal, too. That is NOT good.

I've heard a couple of Eton sets personally. They're an improvement over OEM, to be sure, but there are better choices out there. Just because they're 'hand-made in Germany' doesn't mean they're the best choice -- in fact, I'd argue that they are likely more middle-of-the-road at Etons' price point because the price includes a higher margin than normal for two things:
Viffermike Curious if you have other sets to recommend besides the Etons. I love the plug n play capability of them but would like to know what other sets you have in mind, since Eton's are most frequently discussed here. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:23 AM   #9
leungieF87
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Hi there, wondering what are some suggestions regarding speakers that can be powered by the HK amp? Thanks alot in advance.

In my other car i have an active setup with 2 pairs of morel hybrids 602s powered by 2 mosconi 130.4 amp, i personally enjoy the morel sound signature more than the equivalent Focal range...
Also have a 8" DD sub powered by morel mps 1.550 and i find that more bass than i personally prefer already 😂
Appreciate 0