THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Installing TechnicPnP Active Sound removal harness

04-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #199
ckosiek
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Zooks527, thanks for the great write up - and RidingAgin thank you also. I purchased this a while back (have a convertible) but when the first pin came out with a cable attached I decided to wait until someone with a soft top posted so I wouldn't wreck anything. The only thing I would suggest is to attach a string or strip of tape to the wiring/plugs for the trunk light and power outlet, so they can be pulled through the openings when you're ready to reinstall the panel. Also, because of this thread I checked the wiring to make sure I didn't need to switch the white/black with the white (thanks Silver6spd). I like it better without the fake noise......
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #200
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

This is a great writeup and I followed it to install the ASD. I previously installed a catted downpipe and by removing the fake noise the car is so quiet.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #201
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekler View Post
This is a great writeup...
I am about to go into the driveway and install the cable which I have had for over a year now for my 2014 M235i. But one stupid question. The cable "replaces" the one that is there? It does not go inline? I am sure when I look at this the answer will be apparent but...

Thanks in advance.

///Rich

Edit: I did the install today. Easy and straightforward. The instructions give you everything you need.

https://www.car-auto-repair.com/bmw-...llation-guide/

The cable does indeed go inline and it's apparent when you get in there and look. Took around 45 minutes and having a set of plastic trim tools helps. The radio works fine, no discernible hum or anything, and I am about to go out for a test ride and expect that all is good and hopefully a bit quieter.

I spent yesterday and today listening carefully. Frankly it’s not a big difference but it is quieter particularly at cruising speed and I am glad I did this.

Last edited by Rich.Wolfson; 08-23-2019 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #202
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

I already forgot, but it has to go inline to keep all the other goodies working....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:37 AM   #203
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

I'm not very handy but I've tried to get this bolt out with a T40 head and the bolt just won't budge! Can anyone recommend how I am going to get this bolt out to install my harness?

I bought this car second hand and someone has stripped the bolt too - thankfully the T40 head still fits snug but the bolt just won't loosen.

The car was supposedly not modified but what would be the common reasons they would be accessing this part of the car especially if no stereo work has been done?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #204
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Leverage is your friend. If the T40 is snug, extend the length of your ratchet by attaching a box end wrench to it or slipping a hollow piece of metal tubing over it. If the T40 strips, try a pair of channel locks as a last resort ONLY! You could always head down to a local shop and have it removed. I mean it shouldn't take 5 minutes and the charge would be minimal.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #205
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
Leverage is your friend. If the T40 is snug, extend the length of your ratchet by attaching a box end wrench to it or slipping a hollow piece of metal tubing over it. If the T40 strips, try a pair of channel locks as a last resort ONLY! You could always head down to a local shop and have it removed. I mean it shouldn't take 5 minutes and the charge would be minimal.
This is accurate info but...

You do not need to remove that bolt in order to install the harness. Just remove the fasteners by the amp, bend it out of the way and reach our hand back there. No need to rip the entire trunk apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #206
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks will give it another shot. Assuming you did do the bypass harness install, was the T40 bolt that difficult to remove for yourself?

Unfortunately, here in Melbourne, Australia we're under some pretty heavy covid lockdown restrictions. So going out to a workshop is going to have to wait at least another 5 weeks. But that will be my last fallback option.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:04 PM   #207
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:

You do not need to remove that bolt in order to install the harness. Just remove the fasteners by the amp, bend it out of the way and reach our hand back there. No need to rip the entire trunk apart.
Thanks - most of the online install instructions advise on removing the T40 floor loop bolt out to get the lining off but I'll give this a shot if I can't get the bolt out.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #208
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
New guy here, please forgive my ignorance.

How do I determine which audio option I have? I bought the car used and don't have a build sheet that shows me which build code to pick. My car is a 2020 M2C and it has Harmon Kardon branded speaker covers, if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:57 AM   #209
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
New guy here, please forgive my ignorance.

How do I determine which audio option I have? I bought the car used and don't have a build sheet that shows me which build code to pick. My car is a 2020 M2C and it has Harmon Kardon branded speaker covers, if that helps.
Not an expert on the topic but I believe you can check out all the car factory options and specs via a VIN lookup

https://www.mdecoder.com
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #210
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:

Thanks again for heads up on this - I managed to install the harness with just bending the trim out of the way.

Really simple install - most time and effort taken was getting one third of the boot seal back in place!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #211
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Thanks again for the advice on this - I managed to get more leverage as you mentioned and I was able to get the bolt out without too much force! I definitely need to spent more time working with my hands on the car.
Appreciate 1
Jcoop901138.50
      08-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #212
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Thanks again for the advice on this - I managed to get more leverage as you mentioned and I was able to get the bolt out without too much force! I definitely need to spent more time working with my hands on the car.
Glad you got it out and got the ASD installed. Much better without the fake piped in noise in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #213
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
TechnicPnP harness has worked perfectly in my '17 M2, and may still be working perfectly.
Not sure if it's the harness or the window tint installation that I had done today, or a random audio system failure, but ...

Immediately after the tint installation this afternoon, the first thing I noticed was a warning saying "Park Distance Control Not Functional" or something similar to that. Then the audio system made an incredibly loud, intermittent crackling / popping / shrieking noise. Even after turning the audio system off and ignition off. It sounded like full-volume static with intermittent moments of silence. It was so loud I had to wear ear plugs. Glad I had them in the glove box.

I drove straight back to the tint installing shop, and they swore the radio was on during the entire installation procedure (thanks) with no problems. At first, I could hear a little music and/or radio under the noise, but soon only the static / crackle could be heard. Then after a few more minutes, just an occasional pop / ticking noise, then nothing after 20 minutes.

I have scheduled an appointment with my local BMW dealer, but that won't happen until Monday, April 17th. Will post again after I discover the root cause.

Update: I tried the audio system again, just 2 hours after the problem occurred, and it's gone now.
Definitely not the TechnicPnP harness. May have been a temporary short-circuit caused by water from the rear window tint installation.
This is a long shot but the exact same thing has been happening to me. Engine off, ignition off, radio off, and still this horrendous ear splitting static; Loudest Ive ever heard.. Only way I could stop it is by removing fuse 122, which of course shuts down the radio.. I installed my TechnicPNP harness 3 years ago and posted about it here, and its been perfect, until now. I havent had any tint work done so I doubt its a leaking issue. Have you had any luck resolving this insanely loud static noise? My next step would be to remove the PNP harness; ASD sucks, but its a far sight better than this ghastly ear splitting noise.

Please chime in if anyone has experienced this.. Thanks.
      11-09-2021, 03:07 AM   #214
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Has anyone tried the Integral Audio ASD harness? Is it pretty the same as Technic PNP?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #215
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Did this today.

The hardest part is removing the plastic piece where the latch is. Rubber seal is covering the whole length (left to right) and without its removal you can’t remove the left panel. After the 4 plastic mounts, It’s pull out to clear the latch then vertical.

Another is the harness’ connector itself. The u-shape lever on the connector is not only used to release the connector BUT to also mount/seat it. So to release you press that little button so the u-shape can rotate and release. To mount/seat (PNP’s) open it up so when you’ve plugged it in, you then rotate it close which pushes the plug into position and engages it down—Connects and locks in one action.

The aux power plug in the back. Don’t just yank the panel as the wire for that may snag on a pc of the car’s panel in the back. There’s a small hook shape there that mine almost got snagged on. If I had just pulled the panel, may have cut the wires.

Last edited by vrooooom; 12-05-2021 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:53 PM   #216
parraline5750
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Thanks for this writeup! Got some push pin pliers from HF and this was easy peasy. Just installed bypass, excited to see how it sounds "naturally" and hopefully 3k drone gone.
Appreciate 0