THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Nightmare story told to me by local Service Manager

04-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
saxguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Nightmare story told to me by local Service Manager

I have been going back and forth with the idea of using the JB4 or Racechip products with both my F90 M5 and M240i Convertible. I know the general consensus is that using a piggyback tune won't cause any issues, yet this story keeps me from purchasing them.

Apparently there was an M3 on lease that was returned to the dealer and then purchased by another customer. After the new customer had the car for a little while there was an engine issue and it had to be brought in for service. At the time they had found that the car was pervoisuly running boost levels higher than factory spec (the service manager did not say whether they found a flash or if it was just an increased boost value). The dealer had to buy the car back from the second owner and then subsequenlty went after the original owner who had leased the car. Because the car had (apparently) been tuned the dealer can no longer sell the car and wants to recoup the loss.

I know we all believe that using a piggyback tune is fine, but has ANYONE heard a similar story?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Not to that degree. I've heard that when dealer service plugs car into their computer they can tell whether the car has been running a piggyback tune. Its not something the generally check for, but if an issue occurs, during the trouble shoot process the can review the log. If something appear to be way out of whack, it can cost warranty coverage.

As an aside, generally speaking a piggyback if run with a moderate settings should not cause any lasting issues. Certainly data logging will show increases in boost (if the above is factually correct - since this is something I picked up on other forum threads), but damage to the motor is highly unlikely unless the tune allows for some serious adjustments. Then there is the amount of abuse the car undergoes with that tune.

I have the Dinan Stage 1 (.v1) but never push the car to it's limits. In retrospect, I would have probably been as happy in a stock 230i. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds isn't slow

Without knowing the entire story behind that car, I think you may be unduly concerned.

That being said, if you are really reticent about a tune. Just keep the car as it is. Quite honestly, unless you track or race, these BMW's are more than capable of some pretty great performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

I've never leased a car but if I did, I personally wouldn't mess around with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

I doubt that this was a piggyback. As if the engine boosts 20 psi the piggy back tells the ECU it is only doing 15 psi > without knowing the "real" psi how can the ecu record it?
Somehow the story sounds familiar. The 2nd owner updated the ECU (either for a recall or something was not right) and then complained afterwards to the dealer that the car isn't as fast as it was before > then it was discovered after someone looked into it in detail.
BTW I wonder how long logs like this are being stored (as you only have so much memory to store values).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
I doubt that this was a piggyback. As if the engine boosts 20 psi the piggy back tells the ECU it is only doing 15 psi > without knowing the "real" psi how can the ecu record it?
Somehow the story sounds familiar. The 2nd owner updated the ECU (either for a recall or something was not right) and then complained afterwards to the dealer that the car isn't as fast as it was before > then it was discovered after someone looked into it in detail.
BTW I wonder how long logs like this are being stored (as you only have so much memory to store values).

Don't know on the log storage, but I had a Merc Outboard that I bought new. Running my bass boat in shallow water I plugged the cooling intake with some muck and got the overheating warning buzzer. So I shut it down and trolling motored back to the marina where it was flushed out.

Took it to Merc for a service and they ran the engine log and it showed the over heat. Showed for the 9 years I had that boat and motor. They can store a lot of info on a couple of Kb's of data storage.

Whether that applies to cars or not, can't say. But if I were the mfg'er, I'd probably like to have that info stored throughout the car's life for QA and warranty claims..
Appreciate 1
Bobby P88.50
      04-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Don't know on the log storage, but I had a Merc Outboard that I bought new. Running my bass boat in shallow water I plugged the cooling intake with some muck and got the overheating warning buzzer. So I shut it down and trolling motored back to the marina where it was flushed out.

Took it to Merc for a service and they ran the engine log and it showed the over heat. Showed for the 9 years I had that boat and motor. They can store a lot of info on a couple of Kb's of data storage.

Whether that applies to cars or not, can't say. But if I were the mfg'er, I'd probably like to have that info stored throughout the car's life for QA and warranty claims..
Yes that was a "critical event" or whatever you want to call it (warning buzzer is equivalent to an idiot light I suppose) and idiot lights are stored too, probably not all of them as some are temporary .... but reading/storing engine parameters is different as how much data would that be in 1h of operation ......
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Well, aside from that critical event, there was also record of RPM's, and a full variety of other engine operational data and measurements on that record. They always provided a copy of it for me and it was a couple to three pages long

So, I'd surmise that PSI pressures (over pressures) and the like would be recorded also (if BMW/Mini does data log) even though they are not critical (but abnormal).

I don't have a dog in this hunt and cannot say whether Merc Marine data logging is different to other motor manufacturers. Only relaying what I know from personal experience with that particular piece of equipment.
Appreciate 0