THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Winter wheels/tires

09-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight
Fellow canucks and other geographically snow prone firends - what do you guys do for winter wheels?

Put on abominations of steels or just cheaper alloys? Same wheel dimensions as OEM (I'll have 19" 225/255 front / backs) or going with the best practice of a smaller / thinner wheel in winter?

I'm trying to think through options, previously would just throw snows on my OEM rims but will need to take better care of the ones I'm likely to be getting.
BMW here suggested 17" Style 380 on Continental Wintercontact TS830 Tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #24
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Go with a smaller wheel and a larger sidewall tire. I'd keep the overall diameter the same or close to stock. A 30 or 40 aspect tire is too thin to absorb all the crap we run over in the winter, especially nasty potholes from the freeze thaw cycles. Plus the taller sidewalls will ride better on washboarded ice and snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
BMW here suggested 17" Style 380 on Continental Wintercontact TS830 Tires.
Thanks to you both...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #25
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

For winter tires you want to go with a narrower tire and more sidewall on a smaller wheel. That being said, if you want a high-performance (Y speed rating) winter tire to keep on 18s I can vouch for Yokohama W.Drive. I had it on my last car and will likely be getting them for this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #26
255zr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
Fellow canucks and other geographically snow prone firends - what do you guys do for winter wheels?

Put on abominations of steels or just cheaper alloys? Same wheel dimensions as OEM (I'll have 19" 225/255 front / backs) or going with the best practice of a smaller / thinner wheel in winter?

I'm trying to think through options, previously would just throw snows on my OEM rims but will need to take better care of the ones I'm likely to be getting.
For the last 6 winters I always downsized from 18" to 17" (225/45/17 all around). Always Nokians. Bought cheaper wheels ... although I upgraded on the wheels front after seeing BEM-S4 BBS' (I shamelessly copied him). After 6 winters it was getting harder to balance the old wheels ... we have such smooth roads in Montréal.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #27
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

Anyone have any thoughts on 17" Anzio Turn wheels ?

Other thing, living where I do there is too much day to day temperature swing in spring and fall to use a summer tire and a winter tire. I would need a flippin pit crew to track weather reports & follow me around, & the drive south for vacation thing would not be ideal, guess you'd throw on the winters to be safe and then watch the car get shorter each day when you hit 80 + degree weather.
Am going to go for a three season tire & wheel set 6 months out of the year & else run the OEM wheels with the summer only PSS.
Second question, would like a good all season that is as good as I can get for winter conditions (I understand that I'm just not a gonna get winter tire performance with an all season, but I can't afford the pit crew and only have to deal with snow and ice a few days per year) , anyone have experience with continental DWS tires or something similar?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #28
sundaydriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSALIMITED View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on 17" Anzio Turn wheels ?

Other thing, living where I do there is too much day to day temperature swing in spring and fall to use a summer tire and a winter tire. I would need a flippin pit crew to track weather reports & follow me around, & the drive south for vacation thing would not be ideal, guess you'd throw on the winters to be safe and then watch the car get shorter each day when you hit 80 + degree weather.
Am going to go for a three season tire & wheel set 6 months out of the year & else run the OEM wheels with the summer only PSS.
Second question, would like a good all season that is as good as I can get for winter conditions (I understand that I'm just not a gonna get winter tire performance with an all season, but I can't afford the pit crew and only have to deal with snow and ice a few days per year) , anyone have experience with continental DWS tires or something similar?
If you plan on driving south during the winter months and do not want the hassle of having to change tires, please look into high performance winter tires (speed rating Y). These tires are known to perform well in winter conditions (although not as good in deep snow as beefier winter tires) and also will not burn rubber at higher temps driving south or in the spring. I can attest to this as my last car had Yokohama W.Drives and they were very good for extreme cold & ice conditions while still providing good tread life under many conditions and very little compromise to handling & overall rigidity. I will likely get this tire for this car as it suits Toronto conditions well. The roads are plowed well and it is mostly ice that is a concern. Some deep treaded winter tires (intended for snow) do not perform as well on the ice (you can add studs though).

You have to get a tire based on your driving conditions. If I was living in a rural area I would get a 17 inch wheel with a tire that has deep treads & studs. In a metro area, with high mileage, a high performance winter tire similar size to stock will out-perform the 17s by a long shot in acceleration, cornering, and overall tread-life. The 17s with deep tread will squirm & squeel on dry pavement and studs will provide less traction in the dry.

TLDR: Pick the tire that most suits your conditions and drive it within its limitations.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #29
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
anyone ever used Continental WinterContact TS 830? likes/dislikes?
Have those on my 12 GTi. No issues at all in Germany with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #30
DSTR
Captain
Rep

New winter wheels

Just waiting now for the Pirelli Sotto Zero's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #31
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Just waiting now for the Pirelli Sotto Zero's.
Where did u get the wheels ? Dealer ? Is that a staggered set or 7.5 all around ?
Any pricing info would be appreciated, though I know rude to ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #32
DSTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Where did u get the wheels ? Dealer ? Is that a staggered set or 7.5 all around ?
1100 euro's +29 for shipping. Staggered. I want the car to look the same in winter The rear winter tires are hard to find for the 245 size. The fronts are easy and much less expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #33
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am shocked and appalled !!

(Ask him if he found a good price on pressure sensors next time).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #34
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
1100 euro's +29 for shipping. Staggered. I want the car to look the same in winter The rear winter tires are hard to find for the 245 size. The fronts are easy and much less expensive.
Not to be boorish, but may I ask how much for Tire pressure sensors ?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #35
DSTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Scott I will have this data tomorrow! Sorry for the delay. Initially a BMW mech friend said none were needed. I will report in here.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #36
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Scott I will have this data tomorrow! Sorry for the delay. Initially a BMW mech friend said none were needed. I will report in here.
I wonder why he said none were needed.
No big deal with the dash warning light?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #37
DSTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wonder why he said none were needed.
No big deal with the dash warning light?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Confirmed the car does not need new sensors. I have the price for the 1 sensor for the system. I will again engage on this tomorrow at the dealer again. Im changing the oil and doing a full 4 wheel alignment.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #38
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if these would work ?

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...r#.VBGubEt1Q-Y
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #39
Pheasantsnest
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i, BMW X3

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, not living in a cold climate that needs Winter tyres.

Are the winter tyres Run Flats ?
If not, what do you do in the event a flat
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #40
DSTR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Scott it was incorrect. The car needs 4 sensors(of course I had a feeling he was wrong ) So the sensors are 58 euros each and have been installed in the new wheels and now fitted with the Pirelli winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #41
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Has anyone driven on the Nokian WRG3 (or G2)?

My plan is to get Blizzak WS80, but these Nokians just came up on the radar.

The WRG3 is an all-weather (not all-season) winter-rated performance tire that gets a top rating from Consumer Reports against dedicated winter tires.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ance/index.htm

I'm in a warmer location (by Canadian standards) with typically fewer snow/ice days. If these perform to spec, they would be an ideal balance of performance, fuel economy, wear and traction.
      09-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #42
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

Ordered and got mounted a set of Blizzak LM32's 225/40-18 non-RFT. Mounted them on used 135i style 264 wheels. These fit my 228 fine and should fit 235's with bigger brakes. the 264 wheels have about the same clearance as the stock 18's on my 228 Msport. These wheels are readily available on the 1 addicts forum and I found mine on Craigslist. Typically a good set will go for $400.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #43
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Okay, so I SUCK at knowing spacing, sizing, etc on wheels. I know the math, but I don't care to do it all the time. SO .. my question ..

As I shop for a winter set of wheels, what are the minimum spacing requirements for a set of 17" wheels? Offset, wheel size, etc? I just need to know what specs I need as a minimum when shopping used wheels.

I plan on having 10 and 12mm spacers on the stock M235i wheels, so I can at least accommodate some wheels without the requisite offset.
      09-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #44
triplezoom
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i

Any thoughts about these from www.replika.ca? According to their website, these 17x8.0" will fit the M235i.

Appreciate 0