THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Audiotec Fischer Match UP-7BMW amp works for F87 HK

07-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Audiotec Fischer Match UP-7BMW amp works for F87 HK

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just edit my previous thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
I'm aware that the Bimmertech amp is actually a Match PP 86DSP from Audiotec Fischer. But has anyone had any experience with the Match UP 7BMW amp?

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw

The Match PP 86DSP (Bimmertech) has 55Wx8ch.
The Match UP 7BMW has 65Wx5ch plus 160Wx2ch.

It appears that they both use the same DSP.

The only downside I saw with the UP 7BMW is that it's 4 ohm only. I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on this amp.

Oh, while we're talking about Match audio gear; anyone have any experience with Match speakers?

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/match/speakers/

I can confirm the MATCH UP 7BMW works in my 2018 F87 M2. I just received the amp today and quickly installed it in about 20 minutes. I didn't have enough time to fully tune the DSP so I just loaded the BMW limousine sound file from the Audiotec Fischer website as a base line (they don't have sound files for coupes). Even with that generic tune and the center channel running, I can say the sound stage has vastly improved. I haven't changed out any speakers yet so it sounds kind of flat; I'm hoping a full blown tuning session will change that.

BTW, I'm surprised my 14 year old POS Windows XP laptop worked at uploading the sound file. I hope it handles the tuning session with my MiniDSP UMIK-1 hooked up as well.

My system will be upgraded further with a JL 10W3 in a Musicar enclosure powered by a JL XD300/1. Those parts should be here tomorrow. I'm still undecided on the rest of the speakers in the system.

Last edited by Dirtboy; 07-16-2018 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just spent about 2 hours tuning my system. HUGE improvement in soundstage. The music is not hovering around my knees now.

I'm still waiting for the sub and amp to be delivered; then another 2 hour tuning session...

But I'm undecided on speakers to replace the front HKs. I'm thinking of going with the Morel Hybrid 402; but what's a good matching rear-fill speaker?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
But I'm undecided on speakers to replace the front HKs. I'm thinking of going with the Morel Hybrid 402; but what's a good matching rear-fill speaker?
Ummm, the Morel Hybrid 402?

If you don't want to go with components for rear fill (I wouldn't), I'd opt for the Hybrid Integra 402. It'll be the closest match ... in fact, I'm about 80 percent sure that the Hybrids -- regular 402s in the doors, Integra Hybrids in the rear --
are what are going to go into my Porsche in a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Ummm, the Morel Hybrid 402?

If you don't want to go with components for rear fill (I wouldn't), I'd opt for the Hybrid Integra 402. It'll be the closest match ... in fact, I'm about 80 percent sure that the Hybrids -- regular 402s in the doors, Integra Hybrids in the rear --
are what are going to go into my Porsche in a month or so.
I don't really want to spend that much on just rear fill. I know it's like running finger nails on a chalkboard, but I'll probably leave the stock speakers back there for now; just turned way down. Are there any cheaper Morel's that come close to the Hybrids?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Today was about installing the JL XD300/1 in the trunk. I stuffed it on the right side of the trunk under the storage tray. It fit in there with about 1 inch of clearance. With it being right next to a cabin vent, I'm thinking it should get adequate ventilation.

I ran 4 gauge wire to the battery lug. JL says you can use 8 gauge-- F that...

One thing I noticed on the Match amp; while it's powered through the OEM wiring harness, you can also hook up 8 gauge wire directly to the amp. The manual says that if you have any system noise you should try that. I don't have any noise as of yet, but I'll keep that in mind.

So now I'm just waiting on the Musicar sub enclosure; should be here next week. The Morel Hybrid 402's will be arriving at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Are there any cheaper Morel's that come close to the Hybrids?
You can try anything down to the Tempos (Ultra Integra or Coaxial); I wouldn't go lower than that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Wait... I thought this amp was just for the hi-fi... so it works with HK plug and play? Do you also get more power to your speakers? How does the oem subs sound?

I just read the website and its pretty clear it only works for the hifi... how did you get it to work for your HK? I thought HK worked trough optical.

Last edited by Jerich0; 08-11-2018 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
Wait... I thought this amp was just for the hi-fi... so it works with HK plug and play? Do you also get more power to your speakers? How does the oem subs sound?

I just read the website and its pretty clear it only works for the hifi... how did you get it to work for your HK? I thought HK worked trough optical.
The HK in the 2 series and lower cars uses differential balanced analog connections for the input on the amp. 3 series and higher HK uses the digital MOST net fiber optic connections for the amp. The 3 series HiFi level audio uses the same differential balanced analog connections.

The amp is rated at 5x65 RMS @ 4 ohms and 2x160 RMS @ 2 ohms. It also has a 3V RCA pre-out for connecting an external amp. I have that output connected to my sub amp.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was able to get the subwoofer installed the last time I was in town. The MusicarNW sub enclosure is built pretty robust. I didn't measure it, but it seemed to me that the fiberglass is about 3/4" thick. I'm not sure what the internal volume is though.

It's secured to the body by one plastic rivet up in the corner of the trunk. That and the fact that it fits VERY snug keep it from moving anywhere. It also comes with a quick connect for the speaker wire that runs through the hole where the 12V trunk outlet used to be.

While I was at it I installed a pair of SWS 8Xi's. I know the Jehnert XE200's probably sound better, but I got these cheaper and I was worried about the impedance difference between the two drivers. The SWS 8Xi is 2 ohm and the Jehnert's are 6 ohm.

With what little time I had left I started working on installing the Morel Hybrid 402 speakers. I was only able to modify one sail panel for the Morel tweeter.

The rest will have to wait till I get back home from working out of town.

Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Thanks!

Is the morel mid a drop in replacement?

Let us know how it sounds!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Is the morel mid a drop in replacement?

Let us know how it sounds!
No, it's not a drop-in replacement. But you can get the Technic speaker adapters and wiring connectors to make it work.

I'll post up once I have the speakers installed and tune the system once again.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Any updates OP?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any updates OP?

Thanks!
Got the Morels installed today, finally. They're a big improvement over the stock HK speakers. I'm still working out the tune. It's a PITA to tune in an oven of a garage. I'll probably get a better tune once the outside temps go down and I learn how to use Room Eq Wizard. For now, it sounds good to me. Way better than the stock system. I've got the center channel turned off and the stock rear HK speakers turned down to where I can just barely hear them. The soundstage is right up on the dash and centered on the drivers position. I rarely have passengers so the sound is all about me.

Here's the setup on the front Morel Hybrid 402's.

Here's the setup for the rear stock HK's.

Here's the setup on the SWS 8Xi's.

Here's the setup on the JL 10W3v3.

I'm sure I'm not done tuning; I'll always be tweaking it. I'm think of getting a Helix Director just so I can have more than 2 sound profile presets, we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Why all the peaks and valleys on the SWS subs?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #15
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why all the peaks and valleys on the SWS subs?
Not sure. My guess is because they're playing under the seats; no real direct line to the mic like the rest. Could be my method of tuning too. I'm kinda winging it right now; this is the first time I've messed with this type of DSP. Of course it could be the speakers themselves....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Not sure. My guess is because they're playing under the seats; no real direct line to the mic like the rest. Could be my method of tuning too. I'm kinda winging it right now; this is the first time I've messed with this type of DSP. Of course it could be the speakers themselves....

Yeah,.. thats not right... tune by ear...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #17
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Btw... how loud is the match amp vs stock HK?

Last edited by Jerich0; 08-23-2018 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #18
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

OP,

Is that an e series underseat 1st aid box - do you have the part no ? Either way - nice touch.

Did it mount up OK and is it easy to remove if taking large boxes/suitcases in the trunk ?

TIA,

BP
      08-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Btw... how loud is the match amp vs stock HK?
I'm not sure how much "louder" the Match amp is compared to the HK amp. If you double your amp wattage, you usually only increase the sound level by 3db. The HK amp in the the 2 series has a total of 360 watts playing over 7 channels. The Match amp has 645 watts playing over 7 channels. I know the Match amp's main 5 channels are rated at 65 watts RMS; I don't know what wattage the HK amp's main 5 channels are.

That being said, it does seem "louder" to me. The main thing is that it sounds clearer; and the soundstage is a lot better than the HK system. That has a lot to do with the Helix DSP built in to the Match amp. Changing out the front door speakers helped tons too...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #20
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
OP,

Is that an e series underseat 1st aid box - do you have the part no ? Either way - nice touch.

Did it mount up OK and is it easy to remove if taking large boxes/suitcases in the trunk ?

TIA,

BP
Yes it is, good eye.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...x/52107044958/

It came out of my wife's E83 X3 when we traded it in. I mounted it with self tapping screws so it doesn't really come out easily. But I don't put large boxes or suitcases in my M2; that's what my wife's new X3 is for.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1737.50
      08-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
OP,

TIA,

BP
Yes it is, good eye.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/underseat-first-aid-box/52107044958/

It came out of my wife's E83 X3 when we traded it in. I mounted it with self tapping screws so it doesn't really come out easily. But I don't put large boxes or suitcases in my M2; that's what my wife's new X3 is for.
Was Match up 7bmw genuine PnP into HK'd m2 ?

Do you have ASD bypassed or coded off ?
      08-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #22
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was Match up 7bmw genuine PnP into HK'd m2 ?

Do you have ASD bypassed or coded off ?
Direct PnP for HK M2. ASD is bypassed.
Appreciate 0