THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Bimmer Challenge at Willow Springs International Raceway (Big Willow)

04-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Bimmer Challenge at Willow Springs International Raceway (Big Willow)

So went back to Big Willow for a Bimmer Challenge Time Attack for the cars 2nd track outing.

Car did well and I beat my old time with a 1:33.9. This was good enough for 1st place in B3 class

Compared to last time there was very little wind, but track temps were ~15* higher. I was able to run my tune and JB4 this time without issue. I really should have put together a new custom map 6 tune for the track. My street tune for map 6 has too much low end TQ for me to drive it smoothly with the on/off throttle and the gears I use for this track. Being in a lower gear on corner exit probably would have helped as it would have taken me out of the huge TQ spike at low-RPM. Because of this the car felt very loose compared to last time. Felt like I was learning the car again to a certain extent.

Spun the car which I haven't done in like 10 years. Roasted the tires coming out of a corner and just couldn't catch it in time. Always learning

Here is some vid from the practice session that I spliced together. Totally forgot to film my session with my hotlap

Last edited by Anthony235; 07-18-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 7
bryan_G011164.50
goodNIGHT106.50
amw896582.50
Ace60411.00
rich8566608.50
Taskmaster2463.00
Shayan55338.50
      04-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

well done.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

For comparison: Randy Pobst did a 1:32.5 in an M3. so amazing job
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I'm still not happy with the brake feel. I flushed my fluid again with RBF600 and it got rid of the inconsistent pedal feel I mentioned in another post. Even though it's now consistent it's still not confidence inspiring to me. Pedal is just too soft for me no matter the temps.

Logic tells me it's the brake fluid, but RBF600 has been good to me for 10+ years.

I still wonder if it's the finicky BMW ABS system and it's low viscosity requirements.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
So went back to Big Willow for a Bimmer Challenge Time Attack for the cars 2nd track outing.

Car did well and I beat my old time with a 1:33.9. This was good enough for 1st place in B3 class

Compared to last time there was very little wind, but track temps were ~15* higher. I was able to run my tune and JB4 this time without issue. I really should have put together a new custom map 6 tune for the track. My street tune for map 6 has too much low end TQ for me to drive it smoothly with the on/off throttle and the gears I use for this track. Being in a lower gear on corner exit probably would have helped as it would have taken me out of the huge TQ spike at mid-RPM. Because of this the car felt very loose compared to last time. Felt like I was learning the car again to a certain extent.

Spun the car which I haven't done in like 10 years. Roasted the tires coming out of a corner and just couldn't catch it in time. Always learning

Here is some vid from the practice session that I spliced together. Totally forgot to film my session with my hotlap

1:33.9 is fast!! I did 1:33.2 in my stripped out E92 M3 with BFG R1S. It was super greasy and I almost spun at Turn 2 so I know the feeling.

I think I have your spin here - I remember thinking I was hoping your car was all right given the huge clouds of dirt that came up!

instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Quote:

Compared to last time there was very little wind, but track temps were ~15* higher. I was able to run my tune and JB4 this time without issue. I really should have put together a new custom map 6 tune for the track. My street tune for map 6 has too much low end TQ for me to drive it smoothly with the on/off throttle and the gears I use for this track. Being in a lower gear on corner exit probably would have helped as it would have taken me out of the huge TQ spike at mid-RPM. Because of this the car felt very loose compared to last time. Felt like I was learning the car again to a certain extent.

[IMG]http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51...MjI3Ng%3D%3D.2[/IMG]

[IMG]http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51...MDI3MQ%3D%3D.2[/IMG]

[IMG]http://scontent-mxp1-1.cdninstagram....NTA3MA%3D%3D.2[/IMG]
1:33.9 is fast!! I did 1:33.2 in my stripped out E92 M3 with BFG R1S. It was super greasy and I almost spun at Turn 2 so I know the feeling.

I think I have your spin here - I remember thinking I was hoping your car was all right given the huge clouds of dirt that came up!

Thanks! Lots of fast people like you and others there that day.

After that spin I actually had to drive down to the tire shop to have them remount the tire. Had tons of rocks in the tire bead/wheel lip. Luckily they got it done fast and only charged me $10. Wheel got a little scratched up. Could have been worse though. Any day you can drive your car back home is a good track day.

Just got done watching your hot lap on YouTube I think

My best there is in my old EvoX with FBO and RS3 was a 1:33.7.

I know the BMW can beat that time as it sits now.

Track felt unusually "greasy" Saturday. I just chalked it up to the overly torquey tune I was running.

Last edited by Anthony235; 04-04-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Laptimes from the day.

John in B4 class killed it

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I had a m4 spin in front of me at NJMP Sunday.. almost code brown.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Nice clip.
      01-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

Car did well and I beat my old time with a 1:33.9.
Bringing this thread up from the dead. Anthony235 's time is a solid benchmark for Big Willow, especially at stockish power.

I ran a high 1:36 there this weekend. There's still full seconds to gain in T8-9, where small changes get amplified at the crazy speeds. And maybe another second or so cleaning up braking into T1 and T2 and letting the tail wag a little more through 2.

They've just repaved most of the track, I think we were the first cars to run on it. It does feel a bit smoother at the back section, but unfortunately the washboards at T8-9 are just as bumpy as ever.

Appreciate 1
      01-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #11
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
Bringing this thread up from the dead. Anthony235 's time is a solid benchmark for Big Willow, especially at stockish power.

I ran a high 1:36 there this weekend. There's still full seconds to gain in T8-9, where small changes get amplified at the crazy speeds. And maybe another second or so cleaning up braking into T1 and T2 and letting the tail wag a little more through 2.

They've just repaved most of the track, I think we were the first cars to run on it. It does feel a bit smoother at the back section, but unfortunately the washboards at T8-9 are just as bumpy as ever.
I'm not sure of you setup, but here are my thoughts on your run (which was a very clean run). Also I watched your video without sound so I'm relying on your data overlay for throttle inputs (and MPH).

- Your line looks good overall.

- Looks like you apex'd a little early for T9. But you're carrying good speed through T8-9 (I'm cautious about telling people to go faster through there )

- Based on the speed you're carrying through T8-9 I think you could carry more speed through the T2 (not much, but 3-5mph is a big deal there since it's such a big sweeper).

- Coming down the back side of T4 (down Omega) you can stay on the throttle longer before braking for T5. As long as your brakes and tires are up for it.

- T6 should be done at full throttle for most cars. Dependent on HP and tire, but I've only ever lifted there in the rain.

Either way that's a clean run! Congrats!

Here is my old EvoX run with a data overlay for comparison. The Evo has more aero (big GT wing and big canards), but runs a similar time as my m235 did.
m235 is about 10mph faster through T8, I chalk that up to better tires and suspension compared to my Evo. Plus the m235 walks the Evo on the straights. Evo made up the difference in braking and weight though.

Appreciate 1
msendit415.50
      01-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #12
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure of you setup, but here are my thoughts on your run
Thanks! That's some quality feedback.

- completely agree about being early on T9. I still don't have the balls to get to the outside edge there on the entry without some lifting. It's gonna take a bit more confidence building.

- I find braking for T2 super hard. It has to be a very gentle tap on the brakes to get from 100 to 85-ish, but I always overdo it and end up closer to 80. I loved how you kinda did something similar in that Evo lap, but then just kept accelerating through the turn. Not sure I have enough rear grip without aero to pull that off, but worth a shot.

- I'm definitely full throttle through T6. I think I wired my data capture system to the wrong (slower) CAN bus and it keeps dropping ECU data every once in a while. This lap it dropped some channels down the Omega and pretty much all of T5-T8. But yeah, there's room to stay on the throttle later down to T5 as well.

The Evo lap looks really really good too. The only thing I could spot was the entry to T3, where I guess you can carry more speed getting in wider.

My setup is fairly simple: M240i with no aero, no extra power (ok, an intake) and a fair bit of work trying to dial in the suspension and tires. Haven't looked at weight since I put in seats, but probably ~3400 lbs now. 245/265 RE71r-s. Then the typical stuff that our fake Ms need to get a bit more predictable: bushings, bigger sways, diff, more spring and dampening.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
Thanks! That's some quality feedback.

- completely agree about being early on T9. I still don't have the balls to get to the outside edge there on the entry without some lifting. It's gonna take a bit more confidence building. If you apex that turn late you can get on the throttle earlier. Just make sure you look for that cone at the apex and you'll get it.

- I find braking for T2 super hard. It has to be a very gentle tap on the brakes to get from 100 to 85-ish, but I always overdo it and end up closer to 80. I loved how you kinda did something similar in that Evo lap, but then just kept accelerating through the turn. Not sure I have enough rear grip without aero to pull that off, but worth a shot. -I don't brake for turn 2 in the BMW. I just lift off the throttle a little before the turn in point and let the turn naturally scrub off the speed. This is scary, but with the speeds we are carrying it is possible. Just work up to it slowly. This is also kind of a really late apex turn. I get pushed out to a low-mid line as I'm accelerating. Then bring it back in for a late apex before taking the exit line.

- I'm definitely full throttle through T6. I think I wired my data capture system to the wrong (slower) CAN bus and it keeps dropping ECU data every once in a while. This lap it dropped some channels down the Omega and pretty much all of T5-T8. But yeah, there's room to stay on the throttle later down to T5 as well.

The Evo lap looks really really good too. The only thing I could spot was the entry to T3, where I guess you can carry more speed getting in wider. - Yes, I tend to late apex there and then do a straight shot up the Omega where I then go wide at the top of the Omega. My least favorite turn on the whole track is the entry into T3 (and T5).

My setup is fairly simple: M240i with no aero, no extra power (ok, an intake) and a fair bit of work trying to dial in the suspension and tires. Haven't looked at weight since I put in seats, but probably ~3400 lbs now. 245/265 RE71r-s. Then the typical stuff that our fake Ms need to get a bit more predictable: bushings, bigger sways, diff, more spring and dampening.
-Good setup! I was on 255 RE71 square and no LSD. You definitely have some time left on the table that car.
My comments in bold above. Again, just my opinion. Your setup and comfort level should be the determining factor

Last edited by Anthony235; 01-24-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
That was a fun video to watch. Nice driving!

That red Miata could really stick in the turns

What happened to the yellow Corvette? Lots of smoke and pulled over to the side.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:58 AM   #15
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
- Based on the speed you're carrying through T8-9 I think you could carry more speed through the T2 (not much, but 3-5mph is a big deal there since it's such a big sweeper).

- Coming down the back side of T4 (down Omega) you can stay on the throttle longer before braking for T5. As long as your brakes and tires are up for it.
These were right on point. I stopped by Big Willow yesterday. Same setup as before, clean laps were in the low 1:35-s, even snuck in a 1:34.9, which is 2 full seconds faster than last time around. That 33 was so close...

No video from this one, but the the changes that mattered the most were: more speed through T2 (especially mid-corner); later braking in T1 (started to trail brake it a shade -- it still feels a little uneasy though), and a wider entry / more throttle up the Omega.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #16
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Compared to last time there was very little wind, but track temps were ~15* higher. I was able to run my tune and JB4 this time without issue. I really should have put together a new custom map 6 tune for the track. My street tune for map 6 has too much low end TQ for me to drive it smoothly with the on/off throttle and the gears I use for this track. Being in a lower gear on corner exit probably would have helped as it would have taken me out of the huge TQ spike at low-RPM. Because of this the car felt very loose compared to last time. Felt like I was learning the car again to a certain extent.
Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 11-15-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0