THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Injen or BMS intake??

04-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Injen or BMS intake??

Yup, another intake question. I'm deciding between the two of these. I don't really care about gains since I doubt I'll notice any. I'm more concerned about noise. Louder volume would be nice, but I prefer quality over quantity. Has anyone had the fortune to hear both of these intakes on a M235i?

As an aside, originally I planned on getting the AFE Momentum, but it's hard to justify the cost difference. I can use that money towards the rest of my extensive list of mods. :/

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Both are really good option ... Sound will be very similar, pick the one you like best

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

BMW for me...strictly because I prefer the oem look of the BMS and the flater intake cone for that larger top-surface area. Not to mention the price and service. But I'm sure they both perform and sound the same.
      04-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive
BMW for me...strictly because I prefer the oem look of the BMS and the flater intake cone for that larger top-surface area. Not to mention the price and service. But I'm sure they both perform and sound the same.
Hmm, good point about the cone. Probably a marginal difference, but a difference none the less.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Both are really good option ... Sound will be very similar, pick the one you like best
Well, all things being equal I'll err on the side of price. With the price diff I can get the led headlight indicators that I've been eyeing lol.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Well, all things being equal I'll err on the side of price. With the price diff I can get the led headlight indicators that I've been eyeing lol.
Let me know if you need any help

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Let me know if you need any help
Have AP15 apply to the BMS intake lol

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have AP15 apply to the BMS intake lol
LOL

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
gunnersfan10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i x-drive

Quote:
Yup, another intake question. I'm deciding between the two of these. I don't really care about gains since I doubt I'll notice any. I'm more concerned about noise. Louder volume would be nice, but I prefer quality over quantity. Has anyone had the fortune to hear both of these intakes on a M235i?

As an aside, originally I planned on getting the AFE Momentum, but it's hard to justify the cost difference. I can use that money towards the rest of my extensive list of mods. :/
Literally did the same thing last month. I ended up going with the injen. It's noticeably louder even with the windows up you get the intake air and turbo noises. Blowoff sounds sweet!

Past:2013 Boss 302, 12 370Z Nismo, 01 Acura CL-S, 13 370Z, 12 G37xs, 01 Boxster, 04 Mustang GT, 83 944
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersfan10 View Post
Literally did the same thing last month. I ended up going with the injen. It's noticeably louder even with the windows up you get the intake air and turbo noises. Blowoff sounds sweet!
Glad you like it

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersfan10
Quote:

Why did you go with Injen?

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Why did you go with Injen?
I went with an injen as well about a week ago. I love the the sound of it and the build quality. Fitment was pretty good too and it was on a killer sale.

Only thing is I did get a CEL after a few days of driving. I ended up taking the MAF out and cleaning it with MAF cleaner and clearing the code. So far the code has not returned but I have do e minimal driving with it since then. And I won't have a chance to until Friday.

I will report back and let you guys know if the code comes back. I should be able to get a video out as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
gunnersfan10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I went with an injen as well about a week ago. I love the the sound of it and the build quality. Fitment was pretty good too and it was on a killer sale.

Only thing is I did get a CEL after a few days of driving. I ended up taking the MAF out and cleaning it with MAF cleaner and clearing the code. So far the code has not returned but I have do e minimal driving with it since then. And I won't have a chance to until Friday.

I will report back and let you guys know if the code comes back. I should be able to get a video out as well.
Honestly I went with it for pricing reasons. Unless I was paying for carbon fiber intake I didn't feel the need to spend the extra $$$. Injen is a decent brand and nobody on the forum had anything bad to say. And honestly I don't either. I'm happy with it and it was pretty easy to install. I got the CEL as well and did the exact same. Took it out and cleaned it up and the light has stayed off for 2 weeks now. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Past:2013 Boss 302, 12 370Z Nismo, 01 Acura CL-S, 13 370Z, 12 G37xs, 01 Boxster, 04 Mustang GT, 83 944
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I prefer the insulating properties of the BMS plastic tube over the Injen metal tube.

That's why I went with BMS. Installed mine last night
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I prefer the insulating properties of the BMS plastic tube over the Injen metal tube.

Probably splitting hairs at this point, but what about the heat shield and rubber gasket to block the filter off from the "hot" side of the engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #16
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Probably splitting hairs at this point, but what about the heat shield and rubber gasket to block the filter off from the "hot" side of the engine?
Agreed, I wish BMS had the shield.

I'll take the plastic intake over the shield though. I think with the BMS utilizing the OEM cold air duct that the lack of shield is not an issue. Does the injen keep the OEM duct in place?

Splitting hairs is correct. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
JasonPetrie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I have the Injen, it threw a CEL 2 days after i put it on and caused my car to run lean and idle really rough. I changed out the filter with an AWE pro dry filter and haven't had any issues since. I don't think our cars like oiled filters, which both the injen and BMS are.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, I wish BMS had the shield.

I'll take the plastic intake over the shield though. I think with the BMS utilizing the OEM cold air duct that the lack of shield is not an issue. Does the injen keep the OEM duct in place?

Splitting hairs is correct. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.
The one that comes out behind the headlight? Yes that remains untouched. I am going to try to 3d print a scoop to put in the grill similar to the one afe sells. It looks like it would direct much more air into the duct.

And I think someone more proficient in thermo could explain better. But I believe the heat transfer through convection is much higher than through conduction. Meaning that it would be more important to keep cold air flowing through the filter rather than keep the pipe insulated. Not much heat will be transfered through the conduction through the pipe in comparison.

Then they could also go on to poiint out something about how much energy it takes to heat air up and how it takes much more energy per degree at a higher temperature. So I think weather you are sucking in 50 degree air or 70 degree air they will both be heated to a similar end temperature. But I could be speaking out my ass at this point. It was just my understanding.

Long story short is any aftermarket intake will sound sick, and they will likely all sounds similar and have similar gains/losses.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #19
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPetrie View Post
I have the Injen, it threw a CEL 2 days after i put it on and caused my car to run lean and idle really rough. I changed out the filter with an AWE pro dry filter and haven't had any issues since. I don't think our cars like oiled filters, which both the injen and BMS are.
So you swapped back to stock intake with pro dry? I wonder if it's possible to get a dry filter for injen or BMS or any other aftermarket intakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Pics?

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

In order of popularity based on sales. Injen > BMS > AFE
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #22
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to follow up. I decided to get the Injen intake. It was the "heat shield" that got me and for some reason the name reminded me of my old JDM days even though this is my first Injen product.

Thanks to Mike at extreme powerhouse. The intake wasn't scheduled to arrive until Monday, so I was super stoked to see it on my front porch this evening. Packaging was top notch too. I have no affiliation with Mike nor his online store.

Material:
The intake feels like a quality piece and I like the wrinkle black look. It comes with a dry filter too which is nice. I believe someone mentioned that out cars, specifically the MAF sensor, don't play well with oiled filters.

Install:
A breeze until I got to the part where I had to mount the heat shield. The pictures in the instructions don't show that black plastic box cover that you see behind my heat shield. Well, they don't play nice together. I had to turn the cover to the side, mount the heat shield and then he-man that damn cover back into place. This was after 15 minutes of trying to get everything to line up after I had taken the cover off. Other than that this was about the easiest intake I've had the pleasure to install.

Sound:
The important part, right? I really like it. It whistles a bit when the car is under load and I love hearing the sound of the waste gate or at least that's what I think it is. I still can't roll my windows down due to my recent tint job, but even with all of windows closed I'd say that the induction noise is at least twice as loud over stock. Maybe even two and half times louder than stock. The sound is less pronounced when in Comfort mode. I didn't try out Eco Pro because, well, it's eco pro lol. I'm glad that the sound is less pronounced in wifie mode though. The intake sound does change depending on rpm with around 3k rpm being the most whistle like. I'm not sure how I feel about the whistling like aspect of it. I adjusted the cone after my test drive to make sure that the sound isn't a result of some sort of leak, but I haven't been back out to see if that did anything. I really is a minor issue though and after 15 mins I grew to like that sound as well. I will say that it's surprising how much sound this thing makes with even the smallest bit of throttle input. That's a good thing.

On to the next mod...........

Build thread
Appreciate 0