THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

12-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #903
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
Hi folks, I'm new here and have learned all sorts of interesting stuff. Nothing to hate, I love my 2018 M240i xDrive Cabrio Alpine white/Coral red. But I have a few nitpicks, mostly things missing that shouldn't be in a $60K car these days:

1. No tire pressure sensors, only the flat tire monitor. Really BMW?
2. No blind spot monitor. It would be especially helpful for the convertible.
3. No adaptive cruise control but it is available on the 230i. Strange.
4. No sync button for the climate control.
5. The Dakota leather is not impressive IMO, no option to upgrade the leather.
I have tyre pressure sensor in mine. it tells you the pressure in all the 4 different tyres

Adaptive cruise control is available as a paid option
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #904
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Hi, it must be a country specific thing, these weren't available for my Canadian car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #905
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

The new windshield wiper switch stinks. In every BMW for the past 20 years (or more) the rain sensor has re-set automatically whenever you turn the car off. On the '19 it's the first upward detent and stays on unless you pull the lever down. I realize this every time I go to the car wash. Why the heck did they change it?
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 1
tiwahu34.50
      01-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #906
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
The new windshield wiper switch stinks. In every BMW for the past 20 years (or more) the rain sensor has re-set automatically whenever you turn the car off. On the '19 it's the first upward detent and stays on unless you pull the lever down. I realize this every time I go to the car wash. Why the heck did they change it?
My E70 is that way and I have the opposite annoyance. I'm running errands in the rain and make my first stop. Then I have to turn the wipers back on? Every single time? I guess I got used to cars where every time you stop you have to turn off your wipers, headlights, etc if you are parking it for good. The memory function is nice but sometimes I don't get back into the car within the 10min window or whatever.

I guess BMW is just responding to whoever complains the loudest.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #907
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
My E70 is that way and I have the opposite annoyance. I'm running errands in the rain and make my first stop. Then I have to turn the wipers back on? Every single time? I guess I got used to cars where every time you stop you have to turn off your wipers, headlights, etc if you are parking it for good. The memory function is nice but sometimes I don't get back into the car within the 10min window or whatever.

Or BMW is responding with a solution to the bigger potential problem (e.g., wiper arms get bent in a drive-thru car wash) rather than the smaller hassle (having to reach 1.5" to the wiper stalk, lol).
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #908
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:

There's a lesson there - you need to scream louder and longer than anyone else to get it just the way you want it. So you need to scream, and you need to be ready to scream hard if you want that unbelievable annoyance fixed!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #909
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:

There's a lesson there - you need to scream louder and longer than anyone else to get it just the way you want it. So you need to scream, and you need to be ready to scream out if you want that unbelievable annoyance fixed!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:08 AM   #910
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
There's a lesson there - you need to scream louder and longer than anyone else to get it just the way you want it. So you need to scream, and you need to be ready to scream out if you want that unbelievable annoyance fixed!
Lol I can guarantee you that people did. I have never had the issue of leaving my auto wipers on in a car wash or any other similar issue. But I do find it annoying that the stalks return to center every time. Plus there is a light indicator on my new stalk, so if i park the car and see the light on, I would know that it's left it the auto wipe position even without physically checking it's position.

But I also enjoy having the the cruise control functions on the left of the steering wheel instead of the volume control and other things that seasoned BMW vets utterly despise. Sounds like BMW is hearing complaints from folks like me that came from other platforms, but not hearing getting a lot of accolades from return customers.

The only thing they do need to fix is moving the wiper to the service position. When you turn off the car and hold the stalk down, on every other car i've owned it brings the wiper up to the top. But for some reason BMW makes it do a full dry pass on the windshield, then return to the service position. Pretty unnecessary and just adds additional wear to the blades every time you want to wash your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #911
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

They are already returning back to indicator and wiper stalks that stay in position (ie don't return to centre) with the latest Gxx generation of cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #912
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But I also enjoy having the the cruise control functions on the left of the steering wheel instead of the volume control and other things that seasoned BMW vets utterly despise. Sounds like BMW is hearing complaints from folks like me that came from other platforms, but not hearing getting a lot of accolades from return customers.
I went 19 years having radio buttons on the left and the cruise on the right. When I finally changed cars to one with the buttons swapped over, within a few weeks, I'd adjusted; I didn't feel the need to scream about it on the internet. I don't have the requisite hate utterly to despise this, though I do remember some people threatening to sue BMW when they switched Steptronic +/- directions (I can only presume because they were too thick to adapt; hate is so much easier).
Appreciate 2
///M Houbi1655.00
kern4174446.50
      01-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #913
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
They are already returning back to indicator and wiper stalks that stay in position (ie don't return to centre) with the latest Gxx generation of cars.
And F20-F23. My stalks stay down, or up, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #914
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaah View Post
I think that was the original complaint in the previous post. My F32 LCI is the new way and I like it. It was unexpected, but welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
I went 19 years having radio buttons on the left and the cruise on the right. When I finally changed cars to one with the buttons swapped over, within a few weeks, I'd adjusted; I didn't feel the need to scream about it on the internet. I don't have the requisite hate utterly to despise this, though I do remember some people threatening to sue BMW when they switched Steptronic +/- directions (I can only presume because they were too thick to adapt; hate is so much easier).
Yes I've seen multiple threads and I'm always the only one that likes it the new way knobs are more satisfying that buttons for volume control anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #915
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

1) No headliner grab handles.
2) I always seem to be fiddling with the rear view mirror. I don't think it moves, it just seems to be under sized enough never to be in the right position very long.
These are nitpicks for thread participation, I love my 2 Series!
Mehim76.50
      01-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #916
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Or BMW is responding with a solution to the bigger potential problem (e.g., wiper arms get bent in a drive-thru car wash) rather than the smaller hassle (having to reach 1.5" to the wiper stalk, lol).
The owners manual have a warning about the wipers when going thru a car wash
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #917
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by paposalsa View Post
Quote:
For what it's worth, I find the "automatic" wiper function a joke. Much in the same that I find the automatic headlights laughable. I know when it's raining and I know when it's dark. I don't need the car to determine that for me. (Seriously, not trolling, just being honest). I would love to see that R&D money spent on much more valuable driver oriented features or even improving part/s reliability and not trying to idiot proof the car. I already have parking sensors, why not just make adaptive cruise control standard with that? My wife's $28,000 Passat has adaptive cruise control.

I've had a plethora of warranty issues, and while I understand that I'm somewhat alone in this and the 2'r is reported to be very reliable overall, I would rather see them fight to make cars that are much more trouble free, or at least come with features and technology that are a bit more groundbreaking. In 50K miles, I've had the A/C compressor, water pump, left tail light, radiator, and multiple sensors replaced. For about 6 months straight, I was afraid to take my new car on a road trip.

Again, I'm sure I'm somewhat alone in this, but I would rather not have to be on a first name basis with the loaner car desk than have automatic wipers and headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #918
LCONE
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, Alpine White, Cora

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paposalsa View Post
Quote:
For what it's worth, I find the "automatic" wiper function a joke. Much in the same that I find the automatic headlights laughable. I know when it's raining and I know when it's dark. I don't need the car to determine that for me. (Seriously, not trolling, just being honest). I would love to see that R&D money spent on much more valuable driver oriented features or even improving part/s reliability and not trying to idiot proof the car. I already have parking sensors, why not just make adaptive cruise control standard with that? My wife's $28,000 Passat has adaptive cruise control.

I've had a plethora of warranty issues, and while I understand that I'm somewhat alone in this and the 2'r is reported to be very reliable overall, I would rather see them fight to make cars that are much more trouble free, or at least come with features and technology that are a bit more groundbreaking. In 50K miles, I've had the A/C compressor, water pump, left tail light, radiator, and multiple sensors replaced. For about 6 months straight, I was afraid to take my new car on a road trip.

Again, I'm sure I'm somewhat alone in this, but I would rather not have to be on a first name basis with the loaner car desk than have automatic wipers and headlights.
You are not alone. BMW reliability is a joke. I've had a 2011 128i 6sp Sport and now my 2015 M235i. I too am on a first name basis with my service advisor. He's a great guy but shouldn't have that kind of rapport with the service department.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #919
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:

well for 1, adaptive cruise control is a part of idiot proofing too lol. And there is a significant amount of additional tech to enable it, so no it doesn't just run off of your existing parking sensors.

it's funny because just this weekend i'm driving through the snow and suddenly my wife yelps out "how are you making the wipers slow down?" i could tell she had been silently trying to figure it out for a while so i explained the auto function. she had never used it so she was used to constantly flipping the stalk anytime someone kicked up slush in front of her or as rainfall changed. now she's a believer.

and i've seen enough people driving around with their headlights off that i can appreciate oems trying to standardize auto headlights. at least those are one of the things they haven't taken full control from us, since you can still turn them off/on manually.

but again, i'm coming from other platforms and all this is just wonderful to me lol. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #920
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Hate is too strong a word for me to use. That being said, here are a couple:

Steering wheel - no "next song" button. Yes, has a wheel, but would prefer to have Vol up/down, and an up/down select button for songs. Keep mine set to shuffle so when I push next, it would give me the next random song (not the next song alphabetically). Mini has it, BMW thought a wheel would be better - no so much for me.

Wheels are hard to keep clean. Front wheels throw lots of black brake dust. PITA to wipe them clean.

Other than that, things are good.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #921
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I would love to see that R&D money spent on...improving part/s reliability...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCONE View Post
You are not alone. BMW reliability is a joke.
Nothing new here. In 1982 I spent $2K replacing a warped head on an E12 530i with 60K on the clock. The shop told me they all had that problem. That car had a number of other issues, as well.

I spent $14K getting my car to be more of a sports car, and I've (mentally) allocated another $10K for what I think of as "BMW Surprises!" that will crop up during my ownership. Just part of being a BMW owner.

Some of my BMWs have been more reliable than others, but they're never going to be Japanese cars. Nor will they be priced like Japanese cars. Wait...what's wrong with this picture!?!

Last edited by dradernh; 01-15-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #922
Zwei
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i AW

Garage List
1998 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=USA-RET;24242007]
Wheels are hard to keep clean. Front wheels throw lots of black brake dust. PITA to wipe them clean.
QUOTE]

Ever tried Chemical Guys Wheel Guard Max Wax? That followed by Armor All Wheel Protectant makes keeping wheels looking good pretty easy.
1977 Lancia Montecarlo 2002 Acura RSX Type S
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #923
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Quote:

well for 1, adaptive cruise control is a part of idiot proofing too lol. And there is a significant amount of additional tech to enable it, so no it doesn't just run off of your existing parking sensors.

it's funny because just this weekend i'm driving through the snow and suddenly my wife yelps out "how are you making the wipers slow down?" i could tell she had been silently trying to figure it out for a while so i explained the auto function. she had never used it so she was used to constantly flipping the stalk anytime someone kicked up slush in front of her or as rainfall changed. now she's a believer.

and i've seen enough people driving around with their headlights off that i can appreciate oems trying to standardize auto headlights. at least those are one of the things they haven't taken full control from us, since you can still turn them off/on manually.

but again, i'm coming from other platforms and all this is just wonderful to me lol. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase.
I don't look at adaptive cruise control as idiot proofing I guess. I see it as more of a luxury feature. That was my point about VW including it in a much more moderately priced car, while BMW still has this as an option-able item.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #924
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I don't look at adaptive cruise control as idiot proofing I guess. I see it as more of a luxury feature. That was my point about VW including it in a much more moderately priced car, while BMW still has this as an option-able item.
No doubt. In the grand scheme of things we are overpaying regardless. The only BMW benefit that I've found is looks and driving dynamics. You'll never see VW offer a consumer vehicle with RWD, LSD, 50/50 weight distribution, etc. Hell, they've pretty much abandoned all 2-door development. I'm not ashamed to say I'm in my F32 solely because it's the only premium car in my price range that comes with a 6MT, but after owning it for a while I'm very happy with my decision.
Appreciate 0