THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Rattle on larger bumps

04-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Rattle on larger bumps

Hi guys,

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I have been noticing a moderate rattle or clanging noise when hitting bumps. It sort of sounds like a brake heat shield or something metallic. I took off the front underbody shield and the steering rack shield and couldn't seem to find anything obviously loose.

Has anyone here encountered something similar? I've already read up on the power steering rack concerns some of the 3 series owners have had, but I don't think this is quite the same.

I recently changed my pads and the only mods I have are a down pipe and camber plates. I am fully aware of the sounds camber plates could make, but this is above and beyond the usual sounds. I've had these camber plates for about 8 months. I'm also aware of brake clunks, but again, this seems out of the ordinary. I checked the torque on all of the ball joints, end links and uper strut bolts. Wheels are torqued to spec as well.

I'm more worried because my warranty will be up in June and I would like to try and pinpoint this if it's a real issue before then.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
kthor703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Update: The more I listen to it, I think it might be the brakes moving around in the caliper. I'll update if I remember to.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
tdaniels2
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 8spd AplineWH

similar situation

I think that I have this same issue, I can only hear it under 25mph and hour and guaranteed to happen immediately while hitting speedbumps. I have a '15 m235i also, sound like the driver's side rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

I had the same issue.
Its something in the hub of wheel.
Take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

try going forward and back, do you hear the rattle?

Could be as easy as an application of some compound/lubricant at the contact points between the pad and caliper.
Appreciate 0