THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning New Car, 6MT Transmission issue - thoughts?

04-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Goliath_online2019
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

Finally got a new 2019 M240i with the 6MT back in Nov. I noticed an odd thing during the cold months, but it does it at least daily now that the weather has warmed.

Problem: Whether cold or warmed up, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts (mostly 2-3) will not allow me to put it gear and i get a feeling like a mild-moderate 'grrr' in the shiftier when engaging, but NO SOUND.

Description of feeling (grind): It isn't a typical audible grind, but more felt through the gear stick, with slight hesitation to engage. I normally hold off an try to put it in again, then it engages. Over 3500+ rpm it is fairly smooth with virtually no grind felt.

More information: Car has been babied and never tracked/raced. It has about 3k miles. When shifting at different rates: slow and gentle (grind felt), swift (less grind), fast (virtually imperceptible). If stopped with clutch in, there is NO grind on engaging any gears and they do so smoothly which leads me to believe the clutch is disengaging fully on depression. And yes, I am depressing it fully when driving.

Is this normal for a new BMW? I got the LSD put on when I ordered the car, but I cant see that causing this issue. Any thoughts?

I saw a post on the 1 forum that matched my problem, hope OP does not mind me stealing his format.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Could be low on MTF from factory judging by the difficulty shifting. I would suspect synchros are the grinding issue. Usually it's 1-2 shift synchros that go on these cars if there's an issue. I have 80,000km on my MT and it's been perfect, so if they replace the transmission chances are the problem will be gone for good.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Goliath_online2019
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Could be low on MTF from factory judging by the difficulty shifting. I would suspect synchros are the grinding issue. Usually it's 1-2 shift synchros that go on these cars if there's an issue. I have 80,000km on my MT and it's been perfect, so if they replace the transmission chances are the problem will be gone for good.

Appreciate the reply, was thinking about taking it in for an early oil change, transmission/LSD flush. I know its some say its not needed, but its something I like to do for my cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath_online2019 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post

Appreciate the reply, was thinking about taking it in for an early oil change, transmission/LSD flush. I know its some say its not needed, but its something I like to do for my cars.
I flushed the LSD after 2,500km break-in, transmission at 70,000km. I don't buy into the lifetime transmission/differential fluid claim, better to be safe than sorry considering the cost of those components out of warranty.
Appreciate 0