THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Pro 5R Quick Snapshot

06-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Pro 5R Quick Snapshot

I felt it really important to type the title the same way aFe does on their website.

I swore to Obi Wan I was NOT going to fall for marketing nonsense & buy a cold air intake. But the guys at Excelerate Performance pulled some kind of speed-shop mind trick on me & next thing I knew - there I was, paying for an aFe CAI.

I got it for a really nice price, too. Under 400 smackers. Shabammalamma ding dong.

Here's what I can tell you about it:

- It's a wicked-nice piece of equipment. It's really, REALLY well made. I just loved holding it & love looking at it. I keep opening the hood. And closing it. Then opening it. Then closing it. Then opening it...

This thing is so nice, it made me want to replace everything in my engine bay with something made by aFe.

- It is worth the price of admission alone just for the improvement to the way the engine bay looks after install.

- The filter element itself should get some sort of quality award.

- The installation took all of 10 minutes.

- The heat shield it comes with basically lines up with the inlet port where the factory box ports mates to collect fresh air. The aFe intake winds up using the entire cavity where the OEM box was as the "air box". There is a little bit of a gap where aFe shield meets the OEM port. I am going to try & find some sort of seal to help close that gap to block the hotter engine-bay air. There are some other places that seem to need some sealing. I'll post pics of wherever I wind up adding seals.

- The unit comes with a seal that goes along the top of the heat shield that rests against the hood to create a seal.

- Windows down, stereo off, you can definitely hear the turbo & blow off valve. Sounds awesome, but I don't think it's all that intrusive. Some folks have said they absolutely hate the sound & that over time, it really got on their nerves. Fair warning - if you find yourself annoyed by repetitive sounds, this may not be the upgrade for you.

However, windows down, stereo on & moderately loud, I can't hear the noises. Windows up, stereo on, no noises. Didn't try it windows up, stereo off because well.. my stereo sounds awesome & the music I like is awesome so unlikely I am turning it off. But I doubt I would be able to hear it if I did. (I have the weather seals that go in those spots by the door jamb/fender gap.)

- Can my butt-dyno feel any difference? Nope. But based on dyno graphs I've see other members post here & there where this is the only mod, I believe there is some difference. Even if it's 5HP, I like saying "it's got 356HP" vs "...351 HP".

If you're on the fence about a CAI, all I can tell you is - think about why you want one. Then, ask yourself if that list of wants is worth the price - because this is one pricey mod for very small gains.

Once I saw it, though, it's just such nice quality, that in & of itself made it worth every penny. It dresses up the engine bay nicely. Paint that engine cover, you got something nice look at. Knowing I am getting some gains & there some nice sounds, well.. I'll take that too.

What you are looking at in the pics:

Shot of the intake tube.
2 full-on shots of the intake installed.
Shot of the element.
Shot of the gap near the OEM inlet port - screwdriver pointing to it.
Shot of the gap at the bottom of the heat shield that really needs to have a seal.
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65
I felt it really important to type the title the same way aFe does on their website.

I swore to Obi Wan I was NOT going to fall for marketing nonsense & buy a cold air intake. But the guys at Excelerate Performance pulled some kind of speed-shop mind trick on me & next thing I knew - there I was, paying for an aFe CAI.

I got it for a really nice price, too. Under 400 smackers. Shabammalamma ding dong.

Here's what I can tell you about it:

- It's a wicked-nice piece of equipment. It's really, REALLY well made. I just loved holding it & love looking at it. I keep opening the hood. And closing it. Then opening it. Then closing it. Then opening it...

This thing is so nice, it made me want to replace everything in my engine bay with something made by aFe.

- It is worth the price of admission alone just for the improvement to the way the engine bay looks after install.

- The filter element itself should get some sort of quality award.

- The installation took all of 10 minutes.

- The heat shield it comes with basically lines up with the inlet port where the factory box ports mates to collect fresh air. The aFe intake winds up using the entire cavity where the OEM box was as the "air box". There is a little bit of a gap where aFe shield meets the OEM port. I am going to try & find some sort of seal to help close that gap to block the hotter engine-bay air. There are some other places that seem to need some sealing. I'll post pics of wherever I wind up adding seals.

- The unit comes with a seal that goes along the top of the heat shield that rests against the hood to create a seal.

- Windows down, stereo off, you can definitely hear the turbo & blow off valve. Sounds awesome, but I don't think it's all that intrusive. Some folks have said they absolutely hate the sound & that over time, it really got on their nerves. Fair warning - if you find yourself annoyed by repetitive sounds, this may not be the upgrade for you.

However, windows down, stereo on & moderately loud, I can't hear the noises. Windows up, stereo on, no noises. Didn't try it windows up, stereo off because well.. my stereo sounds awesome & the music I like is awesome so unlikely I am turning it off. But I doubt I would be able to hear it if I did. (I have the weather seals that go in those spots by the door jamb/fender gap.)

- Can my butt-dyno feel any difference? Nope. But based on dyno graphs I've see other members post here & there where this is the only mod, I believe there is some difference. Even if it's 5HP, I like saying "it's got 356HP" vs "...351 HP".

If you're on the fence about a CAI, all I can tell you is - think about why you want one. Then, ask yourself if that list of wants is worth the price - because this is one pricey mod for very small gains.

Once I saw it, though, it's just such nice quality, that in & of itself made it worth every penny. It dresses up the engine bay nicely. Paint that engine cover, you got something nice look at. Knowing I am getting some gains & there some nice sounds, well.. I'll take that too.

What you are looking at in the pics:

Shot of the intake tube.
2 full-on shots of the intake installed.
Shot of the element.
Shot of the gap near the OEM inlet port - screwdriver pointing to it.
Shot of the gap at the bottom of the heat shield that really needs to have a seal.
Very nice! Are you tuned? I'm pondering this intake but don't want to tune the car at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
See, here is a review I can agree with.

I have the same intake installed on my car, except with the Dry filter (didn't want to deal with having to oil it, easier cleaning down the road, etc)

The sound is pretty intoxicating to me personally. I went from an AWE exhaust to just a downpipe, so I lost quite a bit of sound. The intake helped backfill that for me. Windows up, stereo off seems to net the most sound in my experience so far.

Definitely recommend this intake with either filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

No offense (I seriously mean that), but I think you got taken here. There are no real performance gains with intakes on these cars. Sure, there are dynos showing 5whp here or there along the dyno plot, but the average power across the powerband is the basically the same as stock and in some cases, worse than stock. You've also now completely removed the factory cold air feed to the airbox and have removed the OEM airbox's ability to slightly pressurize at speed, improving throttle response.

Monitor you intake air temps (IATs) now when you're sitting at a stop light and you'll see them skyrocket into the 140+ degree range in ambient temps above 80 degrees. Sure, the hot air clears out after a few seconds of driving, but the lag in 1st gear will get annoying while driving in warmer conditions. You probably don't notice it now because you're in the honeymoon phase. We've all been there.

If you wanted more noise, you could have just cut a few holes in the lower airbox and got the same effect plus you'd have the OEM snorkel to completely feed the box with cooler air.

The $400 spent could have been applied to a far better noise maker, the MPE exhaust (assuming you don't have it) which can be had for around $790. MY GOD. The best mod for sound and enjoyment and no compromises on performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
No offense (I seriously mean that), but I think you got taken here. There are no real performance gains with intakes on these cars. Sure, there are dynos showing 5whp here or there along the dyno plot, but the average power across the powerband is the basically the same as stock and in some cases, worse than stock. You've also now completely removed the factory cold air feed to the airbox and have removed the OEM airbox's ability to slightly pressurize at speed, improving throttle response.

Monitor you intake air temps (IATs) now when you're sitting at a stop light and you'll see them skyrocket into the 140+ degree range in ambient temps above 80 degrees. Sure, the hot air clears out after a few seconds of driving, but the lag in 1st gear will get annoying while driving in warmer conditions. You probably don't notice it now because you're in the honeymoon phase. We've all been there.

If you wanted more noise, you could have just cut a few holes in the lower airbox and got the same effect plus you'd have the OEM snorkel to completely feed the box with cooler air.

The $400 spent could have been applied to a far better noise maker, the MPE exhaust (assuming you don't have it) which can be had for around $790. MY GOD. The best mod for sound and enjoyment and no compromises on performance.

I know there aren't any serious/noticeable performance gains. Pretty sure I said that up there somewhere. I didn't do it for the sound, either - but I'll take the sound since it does add some cool noises. I did it on the recommendation of the speed shop. They told me +5 WHP tops. Like I said, I am happier saying "356 HP" instead of "351 HP".

I also said, the quality of the unit & how it dressed up the engine bay alone were worth the price of admission to me.

I mean, guys are spending money for wrapping the cars & their reflectors & replacing their lights with LEDs & putting on springs & CF this & that for what, like 20 WHP? LOL

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post

I have the same intake installed on my car, except with the Dry filter (didn't want to deal with having to oil it, easier cleaning down the road, etc)

The sound is pretty intoxicating to me personally. I went from an AWE exhaust to just a downpipe, so I lost quite a bit of sound. The intake helped backfill that for me. Windows up, stereo off seems to net the most sound in my experience so far.

How tough is it to clean that filter? What are you using? I didn't see any products for that on aFe's site (??) Are you using just like, TSP or dish soap?? I asked the speed shop if I can order the dry filter separately so I can use it when I have to wash that oiled one & let it dry. (Again, I don't see these filters themselves for sale on aFe's site.)

I had an oiled conical on my 350Z & HATED washing & drying it. I lived in FL at the time & the pollen & bugs - I had to clean that thing constantly. And wait for it to dry for hours in the humid climate. Annoying...

They tell you you can't use a hair dryer on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Windows up, stereo off

Yes, you can hear the turbo & the BOV.

But, I think it sounds awesome. I love mechanical noises, so... call me weird.

If you like that kind of stuff & it makes you giddy like a kid - go for it. You will grin ear to ear!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65
Quote:

How tough is it to clean that filter? What are you using? I didn't see any products for that on aFe's site (??) Are you using just like, TSP or dish soap?? I asked the speed shop if I can order the dry filter separately so I can use it when I have to wash that oiled one & let it dry. (Again, I don't see these filters themselves for sale on aFe's site.)

I had an oiled conical on my 350Z & HATED washing & drying it. I lived in FL at the time & the pollen & bugs - I had to clean that thing constantly. And wait for it to dry for hours in the humid climate. Annoying...

They tell you you can't use a hair dryer on them.
It only needs to be cleaned after like 20-30k I believe. By just tapping the filter it gets about 80% clean, vacuuming is like 90-95% clean, and washing with soap and water is 100% clean. I'm going off memory but similar to that. I'll stick to the vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've been modding and racing cars since the mid 1990s and I guess I'm not trusting of vendors or internet reviews without data to back up the claims. I've been suckered out of way too much money over the years and bought into the hype and claims especially when it comes to filters on sticks and suspension mods, especially. It sounds like you too had similar experiences. From the data I've read, intakes on turbo BMWs cause more harm/frustration than joy in most instances which means to be the case for most other makes of car. I guess that's why I'm posting. LOL

If it makes you happy though, that's really all that matters. As a car guy, making a car your own is a joy.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been modding and racing cars since the mid 1990s and I guess I'm not trusting of vendors or internet reviews without data to back up the claims. I've been suckered out of way too much money over the years and bought into the hype and claims especially when it comes to filters on sticks and suspension mods, especially. It sounds like you too had similar experiences. From the data I've read, intakes on turbo BMWs cause more harm/frustration than joy in most instances which means to be the case for most other makes of car. I guess that's why I'm posting. LOL

If it makes you happy though, that's really all that matters. As a car guy, making a car your own is a joy.
You said itXutv! I watched a bunch of YouTube vids and read articles just on the subject of CAI and gains. One example did give a gain but only like 5WHP & that was on a 300 HP car. I don't think anyone us gonna feel it.

But what the guy at the speed shop told me a CAI does for a turbo motor is, the turbo spools quicker, helping to reduce lag. Personally, I don't find troublesome lag with the N55 anyway.

I am really looking forward to uograding the intercooler next year, though - then I am done. I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It only needs to be cleaned after like 20-30k I believe. By just tapping the filter it gets about 80% clean, vacuuming is like 90-95% clean, and washing with soap and water is 100% clean. I'm going off memory but similar to that. I'll stick to the vacuum.
By the way - the CAI on my Z came with 2 cans of stuff. One was the oil, the other spray on cleaner. Stuff worked. Spray on, soaking the fabric & let sit. Wash off under hot water.

That's why it threw me this CAI had nothing & nothing for sale on their site. I'll just go to a speed shop & get something. I am sure those products are all the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you tune the car? Or just add the intake and go. I'm not interested in tuning for now as I just want to liven up the sound of the engine a bit. Also, I'm pondering doing the dry filter as I dont wanna risk any damage to the MAF... does that really matter? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #13
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Did you tune the car? Or just add the intake and go. I'm not interested in tuning for now as I just want to liven up the sound of the engine a bit. Also, I'm pondering doing the dry filter as I dont wanna risk any damage to the MAF... does that really matter? Thanks!
I added the BMS JB stage 1 first. You WILL hear the turbo sounds more for sure. I even have those weather-stripping pieces installed & can hear the engine noises clearly, especially with the windows down.

If you like the sounds of forced air induction, you'll love this intake.

I do have the wet filter and I've read the cleaning instructions. It's not too bad, but I am getting the dry filter as a second filter for when I clean the oiled one.

AFE says the oiled & dry filter perform the same. The dry is just easier to use. You still have to wash it, though.

I think you will really like the AFE. Keep us posted on what you get!
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #14
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:

I think the intake did a lot more for the sound of the car than the M Performance exhaust did. The MPE is not loud at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #15
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Where is the Fresh Air getting pulled in from?
Quote me if i am wrong but, by the looks of that airbox/filter it appears it has blocked off the fresh air duct which comes in from side behind the DS kidney grille/headlamp area...
Seems like more of a Hot air intake than anything
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Where is the Fresh Air getting pulled in from?
Quote me if i am wrong but, by the looks of that airbox/filter it appears it has blocked off the fresh air duct which comes in from side behind the DS kidney grille/headlamp area...

Seems like more of a Hot air intake than anything
No, the AFE shield nor the filter block it at all. What it doesn't have is the "snorkel" that the OEM box has that fits into the air inlet hole. So the outside air still comes in through the inlet & into the space where the OEM box used to be.

When I get around to it, I am going to post OEM vs AFE intake air temps (I have the Awron gauge).

I can tell you on the open highway, last couple of 90 degree days we had, the intake air temps with the AFE were anywhere from 11-17 degrees above outside air temp.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #17
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
I think the intake did a lot more for the sound of the car than the M Performance exhaust did. The MPE is not loud at all.
The MPE is louder than stock, noticeably so (I have the ASD disconnected). I only recently put the AFE intake on & the only sound change I noticed is that now the turbo sounds are quite audible.

The MPE is not going to make the M235i sound like some ball-out, strappin' V8, but it sounds pretty darn good. And when I got the car dyno'd (stock airbox in place) trust me - WOT that exhaust was loud as hell & sounded downright nasty.

And all those burbles & pops are pretty nice sounding, too.

MPE, to me, gives really nice sound improvement while not being annoying either inside or outside the car. And for $790 bucks, can't be beat.

Just throwing that quick review out there in case folks read the thread & are looking for another perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #19
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I have this same intake..unfortunately the cone is no longer cool Blue for photoshoots haha

The only thing with this intake on Automatic M235s is the blasted Vacuum line is a pain to put on, and even then the darn thing is on there tugging on the intake tube. Still on there after 5,000 miles but still.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #20
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
I have this same intake..unfortunately the cone is no longer cool Blue for photoshoots haha

The only thing with this intake on Automatic M235s is the blasted Vacuum line is a pain to put on, and even then the darn thing is on there tugging on the intake tube. Still on there after 5,000 miles but still.
The blue has been fading on my filter too. LOL I got the dry one as the back-up for when I have to clean the oiled one.

Sucks about that vacuum line. Makes you want to ask 'em, "Did ya test fit it & just say 'WFT - go with it'?" LOL My JB1, the plugs are juuuuuuuust long enough to reach, but tight. They need to be like, another inch longer to make me feel better about the tension in the wire.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:08 AM   #21
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:

Cutting holes in the OEM will make a good sound? Similar to the Afe? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0