THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Tuning while on a lease...

04-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
mknayman
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Tuning while on a lease...

Hey folks,

Driving a 2018 M240i Xdrive over here, and I am looking to get a bit more power out of it. I have read a bit about different tunes available, but I was curious to get some opinions on the best invisible tune.

What are my options for easy install/unlikely to break the car/easy removal at end of lease/if stuff breaks. I know several companies offer warranties, but not sure how these apply to leased vehicles?

Also wondering if you think it's worth running by the dealership first, or if these things are pretty problem free.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
sea_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknayman View Post
Hey folks,

Driving a 2018 M240i Xdrive over here, and I am looking to get a bit more power out of it. I have read a bit about different tunes available, but I was curious to get some opinions on the best invisible tune.

What are my options for easy install/unlikely to break the car/easy removal at end of lease/if stuff breaks. I know several companies offer warranties, but not sure how these apply to leased vehicles?

Also wondering if you think it's worth running by the dealership first, or if these things are pretty problem free.

Thoughts?
One thing is for certain, you'll want to stay away from a flash tune. It rewrites the DME and absolutely voids your warranty and lease agreement.

Dinan and JB4 piggybacks are likely your best bet. I've read many people say that Dinan warranties are no longer a thing...but others have said otherwise. You'll probably need to call Dinan and your Dealership to confirm if A) warranties via Dinan are still available and B) you can run one on a leased vehicle. My guess is no.

With all that being said, many many people (including BMW SAs I know) run JB4 on leased cars without issue. It is very unlikely you'll have a catastrophic issue that will cause BMW to dig into the ECU and discover evidence of a piggyback tune. Just know that it is possible though and it's a risk you assume.

Sold: 2015 M235i RWD, MHD Stage 2, FBO, MPE, XHP, HPD5Evo | IG @sea_m235i
Appreciate 1
PeterWT252.50
      04-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Same here. I'll probably run a JB4 once it's broken in.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
acdapast
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Been using the JB+ (stock settings) for 2 years now on a lease and the SA never said a thing. But, if something happens to the engine because of the tune, the SA will not be friendly.

Best bet is to remove the tune before your service - jb+ takes less than 5 minutes to remove
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_m235i View Post
Dinan and JB4 piggybacks are likely your best bet. I've read many people say that Dinan warranties are no longer a thing...but others have said otherwise. You'll probably need to call Dinan and your Dealership to confirm if A) warranties via Dinan are still available and B) you can run one on a leased vehicle. My guess is no.
Dinan warranties are still honored on tunes on leased vehicles, as I just had my entire Dinan Elite v1 equipment replaced on my leased 2017 M240i by a BMW center a couple months ago. They found the module went bad, worked with Dinan directly, and Dinan replaced the entire thing with the newer v2. Absolutely no cost to me. And I should mention that I took over the lease from the previous leasee that had the Dinan tune installed by EAS in Anaheim.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

JB+ / Jb4 is the best option for leased cars

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0