THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Camber Plates + F8X LCAs or Just Camber Plates?

10-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
QuinnM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Camber Plates + F8X LCAs or Just Camber Plates?

Getting prepared to get moving on some suspension modifications for my otherwise stock M235i after eating the outer shoulder of my stock staggered MPSSs at AutoX.

Was reading about popular track focused mods and so far my idea is to go 255/35/18s squared, Dinan Springs and Bump Stops, and camber plates.

I stumbled upon the F8X LCA mod thread, and with my limited knowledge, I gather they would not add any additional benefit that I would not already get from camber plates and Dinan Springs?

Just trying to make sure I am figuring all this out correctly before I go buy and install. Sorry if it's a painfully obvious answer, I have read through the posts but new to modding.

My car is my daily and sees AutoX/Track approximately once a month.

Thanks!

Last edited by QuinnM; 10-11-2018 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you are going to Autox, you need -3 or more of camber. You want camber plates for maximum camber and ease of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
vivavava
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i RWD Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnM View Post
Getting prepared to get moving on some suspension modifications for my otherwise stock M235i after eating the outer shoulder of my stock staggered MPSSs at AutoX.

Was reading about popular track focused mods and so far my idea is to go 255/35/18s squared, Dinan Springs and Bump Stops, and camber plates.

I stumbled upon the F8X LCA mod thread, and with my limited knowledge, I gather they would not add any additional benefit that I would not already get from camber plates and Dinan Springs?

Just trying to make sure I am figuring all this out correctly before I go buy and install. Sorry if it's a painfully obvious answer, I have read through the posts but new to modding.

My car is my daily and sees AutoX/Track approximately once a month.

Thanks!
Hey, Did you do these mods yet? I'm thinking of going in the same direction and wanted to know if you had any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I just had Vorshlag plates, Spec-R Springs, and M-Perf bump stops installed today (no LCA/TS's) and will be getting the adaptive dampers reprogrammed with Dinan Shockware next week. Its not coilovers, but it seems like it should relatively cheaply fix the 2 biggest problems I had autoX-ing last season - excessive outer tire wear, and a floaty/bouncy soft feeling I think comes from being overdamped/undersprung.

It feels really good to drive. I'd hesitate to use the word transformational because the stock car is pretty competent, so I'll just go with 'vast improvement'. Its set at 2.4*F/1.5*R for camber in a street/track compromise alignment. Turn in is very crisp, the spring/damper stiffness seems better matched, and it looks phenomenal with the mild drop. I'm really excited about how its going to feel once I'm back on the Super Sports this spring, and am salivating at the thought of AutoX on Direzza Z-III's and wider rims.

The only downside is that the suspension is really loud now. I'm getting a loud groaning noise out of the front left suspension when turning the wheel either direction, especially at low speeds. No clanks or bangs though, so I doubt its the coils binding or slipping like has been reported elsewhere in camber plate threads. The shop said it's probably just the lubricant needing time to fully work its way around the bearing while its still pretty cold outside, and to bring the car back in for more lubrication if its still loud on Monday. I'm hoping it quiets down...I expected a slight increase in harshness and noise from the quiet/luxury ride the car came with - race car parts on a street car, right? - but this is kinda nuts. Has anyone had a similar experience or got advice there? Am I overreacting?

If it stays this cringey, I might just put off my wheels/tires/diff plan and go for KW Clubsports with integrated plates instead.

Are other coilover setups - KW DDC's, Ohlins R&T's, AST's, etc - this loud with third party camber plates as well?

Last edited by 230iZTR; 03-16-2019 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep

Update: The noise is not as bad now that the grease has had a few days to work it’s way in. I think the next time the suspension is apart I’ll have Swift’s thrust sheets put in in case the cause of the noise is from metal contact there.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
Are other coilover setups - KW DDC's, Ohlins R&T's, AST's, etc - this loud with third party camber plates as well?
I'm running TC Kline's single adjustables up front. They're re-valved Konis. I've also got TCK's camber plates.

I get some minor noise on the street when I hit larger road imperfections. It's kind of a "thump", I guess, but it's not anything I've really been bothered by - either when I got the car back just after the build or when I'm out in it now.

I've got TCK's double-adjustables in the rear. The reason we went with singles up front was that they said the doubles would be too noisy on the street. It's a street/track build, and the singles have been satisfactory at the track; the build is overkill for the street, of course.

hth
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #7
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep

I went back to the motorsport shop and had them apply more grease because the groaning and screeching noises were still pretty unsettling. Now its back to being "nearly" stock - or at least not noticeable to me - noise levels again. There's some minor valving noise and a slight rattle from the bearings doing their work on uneven pavement but its tolerable and I don't even notice it now, especially if the radio is on at regular volumes. No more screech and groan anymore.
Appreciate 0