THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack "Winter" Tire/Wheel Size Question

12-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
skitch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Coupe

"Winter" Tire/Wheel Size Question

I live in Albuquerque NM. It rarely snows here, and when it does, it is predictable. What we do get here are some low winter temps, at least temps that fall below 45 degrees. I'm planning on building a set of wheels/tires to get me thru Nov to Mar...cold temps and possible flurries. I've got a 4x4 F-150 to take care of any nasty wx driving.
Right now I'm driving a staggered OEM set up on my 2014 M235i RWD.
So here is what I'm looking at: I'm looking at a square set up, 18x8 all around. I like the Michelin A/S 3+. 45k wear warranty and get great reviews. All the websites (i.e. Tire Rack) recommend mounting 225 40 R18s to go with them. So why not the 245 35 R18? That is what I currently run on the rear OEM rim which is 8" wide. Could there be a problem running this slightly wider tire on the front (OEM on front is 225 40 R18)? From a cosmetic standpoint, i think 225's on the rear would look a little skinny and I'm OK with 245s on the front if they won't rub.
I'm also thinking of passing on TPMS. I personally think the whole TPMS thing is silly (I don't trust it and I check my tire pressure weekly with a gauge), and think i could live to ignore the dash light. Anyone out there think I might regret this? Any other reason to get TPMS?
I really want to mount a rim that will accept the OEM center caps in an attempt to keep things looking more stock. I'd like to keep the price per rim at or below 200'ish. The design of the Enkei Raijin in hyper silver is appealing. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts on the cheeper Sparco Pro Corsa? Discount tire salesman is trying to sell me on a Vision Cross II...thoughts?
Finally, I'm still trying to understand "offset." I mean i understand what it measures, but what numbers should I avoid when it comes to rims for the M235i (I'd like to avoid spacers)?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
skitch
Private
Rep

Well, I spent some time searching through the forum, and have ended up answering some of my questions. i think I am going to mount a set of A/S 3+ all around on the OEM rims. 225 on the front and 245 on the rear. Given the type of wx here in NM, the should do well. If it snows, the BMW stays in the garage and I'll deal with it in the truck.
I'm thinking when spring rolls around I may go for a new set of wheels to mount hi pro summers on. I'd love to get wider rubber on the back, and I am thinking of going with 255s. Figure I have a few months to think about it...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Seems like you've figured it out yourself, I was just gonna say you can disable the TPMS system and activate the flat tire monitor system via coding if you prefer. Check out the coding section!

Also, check out a fitment calculator and punch in your numbers to fully appreciate offsets. You can put in your current sizes and your hypothetical new sizes to see the difference, then measure on the car to see if the difference is too significant.

Stock sizes:

Front:
Tire: 225/40R18 Wheel: 7.5x18 Offset: 45

Rear: Tire:
245/35R18 Wheel: 8x18 Offset: 52

Bolt pattern: 5x120

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Tirerack is pretty good about telling you if a wheel will work with the stock center caps too, FYI.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
skitch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
Seems like you've figured it out yourself, I was just gonna say you can disable the TPMS system and activate the flat tire monitor system via coding if you prefer. Check out the coding section!

Also, check out a fitment calculator and punch in your numbers to fully appreciate offsets. You can put in your current sizes and your hypothetical new sizes to see the difference, then measure on the car to see if the difference is too significant.

Stock sizes:

Front:
Tire: 225/40R18 Wheel: 7.5x18 Offset: 45

Rear: Tire:
245/35R18 Wheel: 8x18 Offset: 52

Bolt pattern: 5x120

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Tirerack is pretty good about telling you if a wheel will work with the stock center caps too, FYI.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0