THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 16" BBS SR Users

12-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
kevlac
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Convertible

16" BBS SR Users

Hey everyone! Just wondering if any folks here are using the 16" BBS SR wheels. For those who have them, did you have any clearance issues? I installed mine today. Though they don't touch anything, there is not a lot or room at all between the wheel and the brake. Maybe about 2-3 mm. I did go for a test ride and everything seemed fine. However, I'm afraid at higher speeds or if I bump something there will be contact.

TireRack assures me these are fine. Can anyone using them weigh in?

I have a 2016 228i Convertible with the base 17" wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

If its not touching now it shouldn't ever, doesn't matter at speed or bumps
The wheel doesn't or at least shouldn't flex LOL and the caliper and rotor aren't going to move in or out up or down in relation to the wheel. Remember the wheel is mounted to the hub which so is the rotor and caliper to that all one unit technically

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with SRs in 17"?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Actually you could get in trouble. How New are your brake pads? If worn when you replace you could have the caliper come out just enough to cause an issue. That happened to me a long time ago on an S4 that the dealer ordered me winter rims from tire rack.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
kevlac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Actually you could get in trouble. How New are your brake pads? If worn when you replace you could have the caliper come out just enough to cause an issue. That happened to me a long time ago on an S4 that the dealer ordered me winter rims from tire rack.
The brakes are relatively new as the car only has about 10k of mostly freeway miles. I guess I will find out in about 37K miles! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
kevlac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderw View Post
If its not touching now it shouldn't ever, doesn't matter at speed or bumps
The wheel doesn't or at least shouldn't flex LOL and the caliper and rotor aren't going to move in or out up or down in relation to the wheel. Remember the wheel is mounted to the hub which so is the rotor and caliper to that all one unit technically

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with SRs in 17"?
Thanks for the input. I went with the smaller size as there is a belief that narrower tires are more effective in snow. Plus, the taller tire can absorb a bit more and perhaps lead to a less harsh ride over frozen and snow packed roads. In retrospect, I wish I would have gotten the 17s as the clearance issue worries me. These are what TireRack recommended. I wrote BBS and they confirmed these would work, too. Your response helped ease my mind!

Last edited by kevlac; 12-04-2016 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
This makes no sense to me. The caliper pistons will move, but the caliper itself should be static

Edit: Oh maybe cause it's not a monoblock caliper on the 228.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235
Quote:
This makes no sense to me. The caliper pistons will move, but the caliper itself should be static

Edit: Oh maybe cause it's not a monoblock caliper on the 228.
I have no idea about this particular brake setup. It happened to me on a 2002 S4, that's literally all the information I have to share unfortunately. Was more a be careful kind of post versus this will def be an issue.
Appreciate 1