THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA Did I make a mistake going with xDrive?

01-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #45
Thik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey E92 M3 6spd

I live north of Toronto and we get fair bit of snow here. I have RWD E92 M3 and don't feel like I need AWD. I do wish I had higher ground clearance for when there's a foot of unplowed snow though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #46
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

So little snow this year even winter tires were hardly used. Anyway, x-ice 3 on RWD, even on an incline, impressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #47
Sneedis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

We've had more snow in Calgary this season than we've had for a long time, so I'm pretty glad.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #48
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I live in Okotoks and commute to downtown Calgary for work. This is the most snow we have had for years. My RWD 228 with Blizzacks work well with no problems. If the snow was much deeper, I would be driving my truck as I have pushed snow many times on the side roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #49
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

The snow is STRONG this year! Glad I have my beater Dakota lined up while the RWD Coupe sleeps and catches a case of the FBO virus

Looks like an April launch, this year.. Sucks but 'tis the skiiiiison!!!
      04-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #50
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

X-Drive vs. RWD

Hi all. I live in Toronto (GTA) and have always gone w RWD w winter tires w/o incident (inc. my current M235i). However, I'm about to lease a new M240i (same colour combo), and am seriously considering x-drive for a change. From what u've all said, the benefits of x-drive are: better winter handling / improved safety, better grip for acceleration, and arguably better grip when cornering (albeit some would argue RWD is better for cornering). I am not a track guy, and don't engage in hi-speed cornering, and am merely looking for improved straight line acceleration. In the past xdrive was too expensive, but now that it's only $1.5-2K more, on a lease that's a mere $1K delta. Am I crazy going for xdrive for a change? Will it perform in the summer months too?

As always I appreciate everyone's insights!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #51
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Hi all. I live in Toronto (GTA) and have always gone w RWD w winter tires w/o incident (inc. my current M235i). However, I'm about to lease a new M240i (same colour combo), and am seriously considering x-drive for a change. From what u've all said, the benefits of x-drive are: better winter handling / improved safety, better grip for acceleration, and arguably better grip when cornering (albeit some would argue RWD is better for cornering). I am not a track guy, and don't engage in hi-speed cornering, and am merely looking for improved straight line acceleration. In the past xdrive was too expensive, but now that it's only $1.5-2K more, on a lease that's a mere $1K delta. Am I crazy going for xdrive for a change? Will it perform in the summer months too?

As always I appreciate everyone's insights!
I see nothing wrong with engineering a vehicle to turn torque into grip at all four corners all the time. It isn't just about winter. BMW isn't considering AWD for the new high powered M cars for no reason.

Ultimately, you need to consider the driving dynamics that come from the different physics. I like AWD. I prefer it. I prefer the characteristics of AWD sports cars. That's why I bought an M240i xdrive rather than an M2 (that, and a configurable suspension, and other features).

That all aside, the most important component in any vehicle is the driver. Tune that, and driving is less likely to kill you. I'd support enforcing the DE licensing model in Canada in a heartbeat, high cost for training inclusive.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #52
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
I see nothing wrong with engineering a vehicle to turn torque into grip at all four corners all the time. It isn't just about winter. BMW isn't considering AWD for the new high powered M cars for no reason.

Ultimately, you need to consider the driving dynamics that come from the different physics. I like AWD. I prefer it. I prefer the characteristics of AWD sports cars. That's why I bought an M240i xdrive rather than an M2 (that, and a configurable suspension, and other features).

That all aside, the most important component in any vehicle is the driver. Tune that, and driving is less likely to kill you. I'd support enforcing the DE licensing model in Canada in a heartbeat, high cost for training inclusive.
Thx for the info, bud. I test drove an M240i w x-drive yesterday, and thx to its normal 40-60 Front/Rear wheel bias, didn't find much difference from the feel of a RWD, and quite enjoyed it! I've decided to do x-drive this go around. BTW, what did u mean when u commented M cars don't come w x-drive - what's the rationale for this?
Appreciate 0