THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning xHP flash using THOR with iPhone

08-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

I bought an "Ethernet LAN Network Adapter" (link below) like suggested by xHP website but I'm not able to connect it to my car. Members of an xHP FB group also said they were all having the same issue so this is a known issue obviously.

Their website also suggested another connector called "Thor Wifi Adapter" (link below) and I wonder if I should try it given the fact that bimmergeeks' return policy isn't nearly as generous as amazon.

Questions:
1) How many of you have tried the THOR with an iPhone specifically?
2) Has anyone had the same not-able-to-connect issue with Thor/iPhone?
3) How was your overall user experience using an iPhone?

My overall impression reading their user manual is that it's not iPhone friendly and that the technology doesn't seem to be very mature (compared to bm3) because the setup needs to be very meticulous or I should say the process can easily be messed up if I miss something tiny.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...p-wifi-adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:18 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I agree the support for iPhone is pretty sketchy.

I bought something very similar to the RJ45 to Lightning you list. Nothing special price wise.

Lightenting to RJ45 Ethernet,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085T16D...p_mob_ap_share

At first no luck, but the app did react differently when it was plugged in. A clue perhaps that it is doing something. I can't remember the exact wording, but without the connection it would say no supporting adapter found. With the connection it would say something like can't connect.

I forced iPhone to use the ip code that they recommend for android. Just in case.

Then it was a series of switch on ignition / start app / plug in lightning including force closing app, reinstalling app, hard power cycle phone, or variants of this order. Just as I was about to give up, I tried one last time and it worked. By this point I'd tried so many different configurations I don't know which one was successful.

All I can say is keep at it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I agree the support for iPhone is pretty sketchy.

I bought something very similar to the RJ45 to Lightning you list. Nothing special price wise.

Lightenting to RJ45 Ethernet,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085T16D...p_mob_ap_share

At first no luck, but the app did react differently when it was plugged in. A clue perhaps that it is doing something. I can't remember the exact wording, but without the connection it would say no supporting adapter found. With the connection it would say something like can't connect.

I forced iPhone to use the ip code that they recommend for android. Just in case.

Then it was a series of switch on ignition / start app / plug in lightning including force closing app, reinstalling app, hard power cycle phone, or variants of this order. Just as I was about to give up, I tried one last time and it worked. By this point I'd tried so many different configurations I don't know which one was successful.

All I can say is keep at it
Well too late I've already returned that dongle. I'm just wondering if I should try the Thor thing at all. Where did you force ip on your iPhone??
Appreciate 0