THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m240i BM3 S2 e30 Data Log

06-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

m240i BM3 S2 e30 Data Log

Hi All: Posted this elsewhere but was hoping someone could chime in here. i just upped my BM3 map from St2 93oct to S2 e30. Also running xhp S3. The timing is much better than what I was getting on 93, but could use some input if anyone sees anything worth noting.

For example, Cyl2 seems to bugger around a little more than the others. i installed NGKs and gapped them but thinking I might pull that one and double check it.

Overall I am happy with the tune adjustment, though. Thanks for any input!

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ee1...XNneOnCekw1CxM
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
Hi All: Posted this elsewhere but was hoping someone could chime in here. i just upped my BM3 map from St2 93oct to S2 e30. Also running xhp S3. The timing is much better than what I was getting on 93, but could use some input if anyone sees anything worth noting.

For example, Cyl2 seems to bugger around a little more than the others. i installed NGKs and gapped them but thinking I might pull that one and double check it.

Cyl2 and Cyl5 tend to have scoring issues in our B58. In every story I read regarding this issue majority of the time it was Cyl2.

I think more often than not logs were the first giveaway for this issue. Keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:

Cyl2 and Cyl5 tend to have scoring issues in our B58. In every story I read regarding this issue majority of the time it was Cyl2.

I think more often than not logs were the first giveaway for this issue. Keep an eye on it.
Appreciate the info! Do you think it could just be a gaping issue? I was thinking of pulling cyl 2 and checking.

If it's a tell tale of scoring, How much deviation in timing should make me concerned?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the info! Do you think it could just be a gaping issue? I was thinking of pulling cyl 2 and checking.

If it's a tell tale of scoring, How much deviation in timing should make me concerned?
Actually yes! It might actually be a gapping issue. I wish I could find the thread for you, but I remember someone had detected log anomalies and ended up finding out that the spark plug was... cracking. I do think in his case he had a pretty obvious timing issues. Again, my apologies I am running off memory. I definitely think you should research this; I haven't had any personal experience so I can't speak of unsafe tolerances.

I honestly am of the mind that spending a few hundred extra to get a custom tune, and then gapping according to their advice, is a safer route of action.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually yes! It might actually be a gapping issue. I wish I could find the thread for you, but I remember someone had detected log anomalies and ended up finding out that the spark plug was... cracking. I do think in his case he had a pretty obvious timing issues. Again, my apologies I am running off memory. I definitely think you should research this; I haven't had any personal experience so I can't speak of unsafe tolerances.

I honestly am of the mind that spending a few hundred extra to get a custom tune, and then gapping according to their advice, is a safer route of action.
I'll keep an eye on it! I gapped them myself when I put in the NGKs, so I might just need to give it a check. I was super careful installing them, used a magnetic bit, proper torque etc.

I do plan to get a custom tune soon so I can really flesh out the performance. I think it's a safe, low cost insurance too in the long run.
Appreciate 0