THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i Cosmetic Mods finally done!

08-02-2020, 06:26 AM   #1
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible RWD

M235i Cosmetic Mods finally done!

Hello all,

Just finished applying all the cosmetic and suspension mods to my car. It was my first car so not too bad with my handy skills. Its lowered on KW V2 coils, RW Carbon CF trunk spoiler, CF mirror caps, RW Carbon CF front splitter. Post what you guys have done for cosmetic mods!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwilly View Post
Hello all,

Just finished applying all the cosmetic and suspension mods to my car. It was my first car so not too bad with my handy skills. Its lowered on KW V2 coils, RW Carbon CF trunk spoiler, CF mirror caps, RW Carbon CF front splitter. Post what you guys have done for cosmetic mods!
Very nice work. Looks great. I am more of a leave it at stock kind of a guy. To each his own but if that's what you like to do then go for it. And I am 76 years old. I remember the days when I modded a lot of cars before you were probably born.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Very nice! Get rid of the rear headrests and code off the sidemarkers.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Very nice!...code off the sidemarkers.
Yes, very nice indeed. But don't do that...particularly on such a dark color car, which, as the photos show, could already be hard to notice in a nighttime intersection.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Very nice work. Looks great. I am more of a leave it at stock kind of a guy. To each his own but if that's what you like to do then go for it. And I am 76 years old. I remember the days when I modded a lot of cars before you were probably born.
I'm only 17 haha lots of sleepless nights to get this car. I see myself not modding anymore past 60 y/o as well haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Very nice! Get rid of the rear headrests and code off the sidemarkers.
I can't haha I actually use the backseats when I drive more than 1 person around.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm only 17 haha lots of sleepless nights to get this car. I see myself not modding anymore past 60 y/o as well haha.
Don't be so sure! I did all of what's in my signature once past 60, including the Rogue short shift kit just a couple of weeks ago as a belated 66th birthday present to myself!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Once you start, you'll never stop. I'm only a couple of years younger than Ray, dumped $14K into my car immediately after buying it two years ago, and have another $2.8K of mods waiting to be installed. And then there's still the paint correction, film, and ceramic coating left to do. So much to mod, so little time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #9
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

All you need now is the IND paint-matched side reflectors. Really makes the car look sleeker. Those orange ones that come from the factory are ugly
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
All you need now is the IND paint-matched side reflectors. Really makes the car look sleeker. Those orange ones that come from the factory are ugly
But, purposeful and beneficial to reduce crashes and injuries for me and the other driver. Especially on a dark color car. Especially at night. For me, that beats vanity.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/806430
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
But, purposeful and beneficial to reduce crashes and injuries for me and the other driver. Especially on a dark color car. Especially at night. For me, that beats vanity.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/806430
I've never ever almost gotten to a car crash and said "WOW! thankfully the orange side reflectors were there. Or else I never would've seen that car with its bright lights on!"
Appreciate 1
B58togo807.00
      08-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Please post some pics of the rear, I've been debating a spoiler for my F23 for a long time. I'm up your way every now and again would love to see it in person sometime before I take the plunge myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've never ever almost gotten to a car crash and said "WOW! thankfully the orange side reflectors were there. Or else I never would've seen that car with its bright lights on!"
Don't personalize robust and valid large sample data down to the n=1 anecdote level. Science wins.

Why do you think something as large and supposedly noticeable as a truck has so many lights/reflectors outlining its contours? That spending would not occur without a proven basis, as well as it did for automobiles.

Empathize with the senior citizen with some possible macular degeneration or early cataracts on a dark night, perhaps in the rain, who doesn't see you in a blacked-out black car in the intersection in time. Do you wish to increase your chances to be their impact cushion, even if you don't think about what happens to them?

The data are clear, but rationalization is a powerful psychological tool.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4338.50
      08-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't personalize robust and valid large sample data down to the n=1 anecdote level. Science wins.

Why do you think something as large and supposedly noticeable as a truck has so many lights/reflectors outlining its contours? That spending would not occur without a proven basis, as well as it did for automobiles.

Empathize with the senior citizen with some possible macular degeneration or early cataracts on a dark night, perhaps in the rain, who doesn't see you in a blacked-out black car in the intersection in time. Do you wish to increase your chances to be their impact cushion, even if you don't think about what happens to them?

The data are clear, but rationalization is a powerful psychological tool.
Makes you wonder how come Europe doesn't come standard with these then huh old man?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Makes you wonder how come Europe doesn't come standard with these then huh old man?
To comfort you, I am not in the condition I hypothesized in my prior post.

Europe versus US/Canada have different regulations in various areas. Have you wondered why the US didn't historically require the side repeater lamps that Europe has for years? What is the interaction effect of those European side repeaters and side front reflectors, if any? Why does Europe test impact with belted dummies while the US requires unbelted testing?

The reality of benefits is demonstrated by the science. The regulatory policy decisions to adopt them or not vary widely based on many factors ranging from economics to politics. This very interesting article demonstrates that outcome.

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/...-on-emissions/

Regardless of the paths which each country travels to its regulatory pros and cons, the science remains clear about the benefits of the side reflectors. Intentionally defeating them is one of the few mods ever shown on these forums that also intentionally increases the risk of damage and/or injury to one's self and others. Best of luck to you and others in your path for avoiding that outcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To comfort you, I am not in the condition I hypothesized in my prior post.

Europe versus US/Canada have different regulations in various areas. Have you wondered why the US didn't historically require the side repeater lamps that Europe has for years? What is the interaction effect of those European side repeaters and side front reflectors, if any? Why does Europe test impact with belted dummies while the US requires unbelted testing?

The reality of benefits is demonstrated by the science. The regulatory policy decisions to adopt them or not vary widely based on many factors ranging from economics to politics. This very interesting article demonstrates that outcome.

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/...-on-emissions/

Regardless of the paths which each country travels to its regulatory pros and cons, the science remains clear about the benefits of the side reflectors. Intentionally defeating them is one of the few mods ever shown on these forums that also intentionally increases the risk of damage and/or injury to one's self and others. Best of luck to you and others in your path for avoiding that outcome.
While i'm not disagreeing with you that you are wrong, and that there is data to support it, I just think it is just such a small minute # of a chance occuring of anything going wrong to worry or stress over it. I was just merely suggesting cosmetic mods to the OP as this is what this thread is about.

So OP, I will leave it up to you to come up with an educated decision about whether or not you would like to go with such a mod like this. I think it makes the car look clean, but like SportWick said (there is a chance someone or something can get harmed from this.). He's not wrong, but the chances are very low if I had to guess. And it would probalby be at night time where the reflectors are supposed to work.

Here's the link: https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set

Kind of expensive. But totally worth it in my opinion! Really brings the whole front end together.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And hey, the proof is in the Pudding. Just look for yourself. You can't disagree and say the reflector delete doesn't look better
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #18
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

That's one nice looking F23.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
And hey, the proof is in the Pudding. Just look for yourself. You can't disagree and say the reflector delete doesn't look better
No doubt or disagreement at all. It does absolutely look better...in its currently uncrumpled condition.

Cars also looked better before bumper standards
Steering wheels looked better before air bag hubs
Seats looked better without belts draped across them

Life is a series of trade-offs. Choose your priorities well. A low frequency event become 100% when it happens to you.
Appreciate 2
Heitzer103.00
dradernh4338.50
      08-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #20
ClassicWill
Private
United_States
Rep

I got a question for everyone here. I'm looking at the awe exhaust for my m235i. However I have the convertible model. It says on the site that the exhuast won't fit because there is a reinforcement bar/strut underneath to keep the stability. I'm wondering if this bar has actually affected anyone else and if it is possible to install the exhaust still. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #21
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

I have to agree with Sportstick on this speaking from a senior citizen's point of view. Hate to admit it, but I know my night vision is not what it used to be 10 years ago and I would not want some senior to T-bone me because of no reflectors.
Appreciate 0