THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anyone try Noelle Tuning on M240i ?

10-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #23
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
You guys can get an idea of who Noelle was here:

https://www.noellemotors.de/index.php/en/

It seems that the guy retired and somebody else took over.

Googled his name and this came up

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/13/n...moon-rock.html

Could it be the same person, who knows
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

I called a noelle dealer that's closest to me, they are 4 hours away from me. I got quoted 2k for flash no additional hardware, said its an all day program. Dealer also said dinan stage 2 isn't happening. So I'm gonna think on it for a few days maybe take a midweek roadtrip to Seattle and get it done. Also dealer said 430/440 after flash. M240 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehim View Post
I called a noelle dealer that's closest to me, they are 4 hours away from me. I got quoted 2k for flash no additional hardware, said its an all day program. Dealer also said dinan stage 2 isn't happening. So I'm gonna think on it for a few days maybe take a midweek roadtrip to Seattle and get it done. Also dealer said 430/440 after flash. M240 xdrive.
Totally worth it. My guy told me all day but it really took about 1 1.5-2 hours of actually hooked up to car.

https://www.noelleperformance.com/2-series/

They told me 100hp gain and I didn't think it was true but after driving, its true....
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      10-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #26
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekler View Post
Quote:
Totally worth it. My guy told me all day but it really took about 1 1.5-2 hours of actually hooked up to car.

https://www.noelleperformance.com/2-series/

They told me 100hp gain and I didn't think it was true but after driving, its true....
Hey there, so I have my local shop talking to Ron@ Noelle. We are thinking of getting it done next week or so.

The question that I am not clear on, and perhaps I will call up Ron and speak to him directly about this, is that I am not sure if that 100hp gain is at the wheels or if it is at the crank.

Can you confirm what your understanding is?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #27
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
You guys can get an idea of who Noelle was here:

https://www.noellemotors.de/index.php/en/

It seems that the guy retired and somebody else took over.

Googled his name and this came up

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/13/n...moon-rock.html

Could it be the same person, who knows
Bu the way, this is most definitely the same guy. However perhaps this was a "lost in translation" situation. Whatever the case, it seems like this was a long time ago, and can't really fault the man for his past. Seems like people are happy with his current work, and Noelle trusted him to carry on the brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #28
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hekler is there a bypass mode or an app to switch back to stock? Was it dyno tuned or just flashed and sent on your way?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #29
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hekler is there a bypass mode or an app to switch back to stock? Was it dyno tuned or just flashed and sent on your way?
I can answer these as I just spoke to my shop and asked your questions:

- no app, no quick way to switch back to stock. They reprogram many different components so this not a simple to manage tune like BM3.

- they just flash it; no dyno tuning.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      10-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #30
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

An update for those of us interested in Noelle's tunes.

I spoke with Ron T. Great guy and knows his cars. Loves to name drop Karl Otto Noelle haha. Anyway Ron confirms that the "440 hp" figure on the site is crank hp. He considers drivetrain parasitic loss to be around 15% for RWD and 18% for XDrive (he did the math on the phone, so went with the most widely accepted convention of 15%)

Personally I think he is being conservative as looking at the numbers on the forums, our cars tend to have no more than 10-12% drivetrain loss.

He does strongly recommend sticking to a 5k oil change interval with Liqui Moly 5w30 oil. No exceptions.

All in all, I am loving the prospect of this tune. The shop that I spoke with only does Dinan and Noelle. The shop is super conservative about tuning and modifying as well, but they know their stuff. They won't flash piggybacks like JB4 or complete flashes like BM3 but will give you a complete impartial run down of the pros and cons of different tunes.

A few other things Ron mentioned:

- factory warranty is not voided; Ron says that Dinan is having all sorts of issues with BMW on their warranty promise (hence the delay in their tunes as well). This is why Dinan now just replaces the factory warranty with their own.

- no hardware changes are necessary or even recommended. Ron also mentioned that putting in a downpipe will void your factory warranty. Keeping hardware stock is the way to go with this tune.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      10-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The shop I spoke with in Seattle area won't touch downpipes. I really want to see some quarter mile times with xdrive maybe an awd dyno too before i pull the trigger. I'm currently running dinan stage 1 v1 and put down 12.4 quarter.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #32
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
An update for those of us interested in Noelle's tunes.

I spoke with Ron T. Great guy and knows his cars. Loves to name drop Karl Otto Noelle haha. Anyway Ron confirms that the "440 hp" figure on the site is crank hp. He considers drivetrain parasitic loss to be around 15% for RWD and 18% for XDrive (he did the math on the phone, so went with the most widely accepted convention of 15%)

Personally I think he is being conservative as looking at the numbers on the forums, our cars tend to have no more than 10-12% drivetrain loss.

He does strongly recommend sticking to a 5k oil change interval with Liqui Moly 5w30 oil. No exceptions.

All in all, I am loving the prospect of this tune. The shop that I spoke with only does Dinan and Noelle. The shop is super conservative about tuning and modifying as well, but they know their stuff. They won't flash piggybacks like JB4 or complete flashes like BM3 but will give you a complete impartial run down of the pros and cons of different tunes.

A few other things Ron mentioned:

- factory warranty is not voided; Ron says that Dinan is having all sorts of issues with BMW on their warranty promise (hence the delay in their tunes as well). This is why Dinan now just replaces the factory warranty with their own.

- no hardware changes are necessary or even recommended. Ron also mentioned that putting in a downpipe will void your factory warranty. Keeping hardware stock is the way to go with this tune.
Good info all around. Everything you stated was as I understood also. Best of luck and looking forward to see who else tries out the Noelle Tune....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #33
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
We may be the central coast Noelle dealer soon!
Was just on Noelle's site and I see HP autosport is now a dealer!!

Harold is the man in Santa Barbara. Clean and meticulous and fair pricing!!

Looking forward to hearing Harold's thoughts on the tunes and especially the service and warranty info??
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      01-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #34
Dogmire
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Hello, I recently bought a 2017 230i and have a few questions, forgive the ignorance, I've only had much older cars before: for those that have done the Noelle performance upgrade, does it change the interface with regard to sport mode, comfort, eco, etc.? Does it create new modes to receive the performance boost or is sport mode just more sporty? Does it change the fuel efficiency for eco mode? (I like the idea of a sportier feel around town, but do like the efficiency on long drives). Thanks & looking forward to being a part of the forum!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #35
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmire View Post
Hello, I recently bought a 2017 230i and have a few questions, forgive the ignorance, I've only had much older cars before: for those that have done the Noelle performance upgrade, does it change the interface with regard to sport mode, comfort, eco, etc.? Does it create new modes to receive the performance boost or is sport mode just more sporty? Does it change the fuel efficiency for eco mode? (I like the idea of a sportier feel around town, but do like the efficiency on long drives). Thanks & looking forward to being a part of the forum!
The tranny seems to shift faster and more crisply. The fuel economy on freeway driving does seem better. The car seems way better in everyway. 100HP and a warranty like no other is all good in my book.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #36
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
100HP and a warranty like no other is all good in my book.
Dyno?

And have you read the Warranty? What makes it different?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #37
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Quote:
100HP and a warranty like no other is all good in my book.
Dyno?

And have you read the Warranty? What makes it different?
As per Ron T himself when I spoke to him, you are looking at 360whp for an auto with xdrive.

For the amount of money, it is only worth it if you are really worried about warranty but given the number of people RELIABLY running far cheaper BM3 setups making greater power, I don't think the Noelle headache, or Dinan for that matter, is worth it.

Oh, and for some reason Ron T is very resistant to the idea of dyno'ing their tuned cars. There was some recent news of one of their tuned M5s but even those numbers were measured by a third party and not Noelle themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #38
Dogmire
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Thank you, appreciate the responses. I’ll consider the upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #39
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh, and for some reason Ron T is very resistant to the idea of dyno'ing their tuned cars. There was some recent news of one of their tuned M5s but even those numbers were measured by a third party and not Noelle themselves.
Well, been around a long time, and learned anyone can say anything, but proof is in the pudding! Unless there's a Dyno to substantiate their claimed HP increase, it doesn't mean anything. Curious how they can make any claim to HP increase without a Dyno even for their advertising...? Hmmmm...
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      01-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #40
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, been around a long time, and learned anyone can say anything, but proof is in the pudding! Unless there's a Dyno to substantiate their claimed HP increase, it doesn't mean anything. Curious how they can make any claim to HP increase without a Dyno even for their advertising...? Hmmmm...
I personally think this tune is over-priced bullshit. There are far better, and less expensive tunes out there.

Put a pure turbo on and couple that with BM3, make 600whp, instead of this crap. The best you get is a bump of 60whp. Fuck that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #41
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Unless there's a Dyno to substantiate their claimed HP increase, it doesn't mean anything
Dyno results can vary +/- 5%...on the same dyno...under the same circumstances...so, it generally behooves the purchaser to be aware of what they're getting into.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #42
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Dyno results can vary +/- 5%...on the same dyno...under the same circumstances...so, it generally behooves the purchaser to be aware of what they're getting into.
The Dyno variance is a vehicle specific issue. Every engine, even with the same mods will have slight variations. Add to it the fact that a car on a Dyno can show different numbers even between runs, due to a lot of possible issues, heat soak, etc., still doesn't excuse the "lack" of a Dyno sheet to validate claims.

Is why an "In Car" tune works better than "boxed" tunes, for maximum gains in any event. And Dyno sheets showing the tunes performance gains, Stock vs Tune, with a simple disclaimer of +/-5% would be acceptable. If no Dyno, maybe Logs then? Show Boost, Timing, Etc... Is funny how many Tuners throw the HP claim out there without supporting variables and documentation. I want to know your gains, at what rpm, boost, timing, fueling, etc., so I then "KNOW" how it's being made and what margins (safety) it falls into (aggressive or benign).

It's ok, because some people don't like to skirt the edges, and stay within safety, others like to cut the edge. Just be honest, because if you claim you're making this ### of HP on this ## amount of boost or rpm, timing, etc., I'll know if you're BS or not.

I agree too, as I believe some Tuners are making crazy profit off of simple tuning tricks like the old days of locking the IAT to -20* and dumping fuel, etc.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      07-08-2020, 01:50 AM   #43
2Wood
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Anyone new running the Noelle tune? Thoughts? This is the only place I’ve found anyone talking about it... I’ve heard good things and it makes sense to me But shocked by the lack of posts about it.
Appreciate 1