THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Vehicle transport companies?

05-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Vehicle transport companies?

Hi again - Another question for you guys... And I realize that this question isn't 2-specific, but this board is pretty active so I hope it's okay for me to post this here. Has anyone had experience procuring their own vehicle transport, to bring in a car from out of state?

I have been searching for an M240xi nationwide, and I have encountered several dealerships that are not willing to own/manage shipping the car to me. I find it a bit daunting to arrange for my own shipping, so that if anything were to happen in transport, I am on my own to deal with the transport company. It seems much safer to have delivery written into the sales contract.

However, I know people do this all the time, not just when buying a car but also when moving... so perhaps my concern is misplaced.

Have any of you procured your own transport? If yes, are there any particular companies you would recommend? One I have encountered so far (recommended by one of the dealers) was Showroom Transport. They seem to get positive Google reviews...

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Hi again - Another question for you guys... And I realize that this question isn't 2-specific, but this board is pretty active so I hope it's okay for me to post this here. Has anyone had experience procuring their own vehicle transport, to bring in a car from out of state?

I have been searching for an M240xi nationwide, and I have encountered several dealerships that are not willing to own/manage shipping the car to me. I find it a bit daunting to arrange for my own shipping, so that if anything were to happen in transport, I am on my own to deal with the transport company. It seems much safer to have delivery written into the sales contract.

However, I know people do this all the time, not just when buying a car but also when moving... so perhaps my concern is misplaced.

Have any of you procured your own transport? If yes, are there any particular companies you would recommend? One I have encountered so far (recommended by one of the dealers) was Showroom Transport. They seem to get positive Google reviews...

TIA!
I have used this company for several years/moves with all excellent service and results. I would use them again without reservation. Wait...actually, you do need to make a reservation!

http://s1g.com/why-choose-us/

The major benefit of a company like this (or Reliable...another good one) is that they are not brokers connecting you with whatever driver/trailer they can find. These are their own trucks and their own drivers. They are all great professionals and I've watched how they exercise extreme care and caution.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
BimBimM21486.00
      05-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

TIA!
I have used this company for several years/moves with all excellent service and results. I would use them again without reservation. Wait...actually, you do need to make a reservation!

http://s1g.com/why-choose-us/

The major benefit of a company like this (or Reliable...another good one) is that they are not brokers connecting you with whatever driver/trailer they can find. These are their own trucks and their own drivers. They are all great professionals and I've watched how they exercise extreme care and caution.
Thanks Sportstick, I am definitely keeping their contact info.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Here is the person who has arranged all my transports. His first name is Jay.

jcolunga@s1g.com
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the person who has arranged all my transports. His first name is Jay.

jcolunga@s1g.com
I messaged them on Facebook b/c I couldn't find an email address (make a phone call?? perish the thought!), and I got a very quick response that Jay would email me a quote.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I messaged them on Facebook b/c I couldn't find an email address (make a phone call?? perish the thought!), and I got a very quick response that Jay would email me a quote.

They are not the cheapest guy in town....you pay for quality, but we all know that here!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Alex Lopez out of Florida has done 2 cars for me. Fantastic service

His number is 954-300-2704 they specialize in luxury cars
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Alex Lopez out of Florida has done 2 cars for me. Fantastic service

His number is 954-300-2704 they specialize in luxury cars
Thanks! This company was also mentioned to me by a dealer. I have contacted them for a quote also.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Yeah Alex wasn’t the cheapest but was definitely worth the money.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Yeah Alex wasn’t the cheapest but was definitely worth the money.
There does seem to be two price tiers. One for companies who are brokers and find independent contractor drivers. Somewhat higher for those with their own trucks driven by their own employees. I have learned to favor the latter and the couple of hundred dollars of difference I've paid is well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I have gotten quotes from S1G, Alex Lopez, and Loyal Transport (recommended by a dealer) - have had zero response from Showroom Transport.

Most expensive: S1G
Middle: Alex Lopez
Lowest: Loyal Transport

Alex & Loyal are within $100 of each other, while S1G is >50% more than the others. I suspect you are right, Sportstick, that it is because the drivers are employees. But Alex Lopez does appear to get good reviews all around (Loyal, not so much).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I have gotten quotes from S1G, Alex Lopez, and Loyal Transport (recommended by a dealer) - have had zero response from Showroom Transport.

Alex & Loyal are within $100 of each other, while S1G is >50% more than the others. I suspect you are right, Sportstick, that it is because the drivers are employees. But Alex Lopez does appear to get good reviews all around (Loyal, not so much).
As you prefer, of course, but keep in mind, the actual service for a broker's independent contractors (vs. direct employees) is only as good as whatever truck driver happens to be available for the bid. The "office" doesn't touch your car and only deals with arrangments and resolving any problems after the shipment. Most may be great...it's a matter of your comfort level and risk management preferences. One of my life missions is to keep this car all original sheetmetal and paint!
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:

TIA!
While I don't know how far your chosen vehicle is from your location, we chose to "fly and drive home" our current BMW. Vehicle was perfectly spec'd for us, and price was exceptional. We did a long weekend fly in and vacation drive home.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #14
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata13 View Post
While I don't know how far your chosen vehicle is from your location, we chose to "fly and drive home" our current BMW. Vehicle was perfectly spec'd for us, and price was exceptional. We did a long weekend fly in and vacation drive home.
I would definitely do this, if not for the pandemic... And the MW/CR one I'm considering is in an area I would certainly like to visit ordinarily. But now is not a great time to be in airports or hotels, attempt to sight-see, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #15
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
So I have gotten quotes

What is the cost per mile for each of these transporters; are their carriers enclosed or open?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
What is the cost per mile for each of these transporters; are their carriers enclosed or open?
I assume there are some fixed base costs, but they break down as follows:

Loyal: $0.64/mi - open
Alex Lopez: $0.74/mi - open
S1G: $1.07/mi - enclosed

Last edited by Wyldstyle; 05-22-2020 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: To clarify that S1G is actually enclosed while the others are open trailer
Appreciate 1
dradernh4377.50
      05-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They are open transport. I assume there are some fixed base costs, but they break down as follows:

Loyal: $0.64/mi
Alex Lopez: $0.74/mi
S1G: $1.07/mi
I have never encountered an open transport with S1G. Are you certain? They just quoted me $1,234 for a 2,016 mile enclosed transport in July. I believe the costs are not linear for different length trips, but I'd reconfirm.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have never encountered an open transport with S1G. Are you certain? They just quoted me $1,234 for a 2,016 mile enclosed transport in July. I believe the costs are not linear for different length trips, but I'd reconfirm.
So actually after I replied to dradernh I went back to Jay to confirm, because he hadn't specified either way in his quote (the others had specified open), and you are correct - S1G is enclosed transport. I will edit my post above!

Thank you for raising this point, dradernh!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So actually after I replied to dradernh I went back to Jay to confirm, because he hadn't specified either way in his quote (the others had specified open), and you are correct - S1G is enclosed transport. I will edit my post above!

Thank you for raising this point, dradernh!
Time for a story of experience. When I first tried to have cars transported (not this 2 Series), I used a broker service and open transport. That same trip I quoted above was about $975 as I recall. The car was loaded as the last car on the bottom rack. When the truck arrived, our car was the first one on the top rack, taking all the wind, mud, muck, etc. from the cross country trip right in the "face". I have no idea when it was moved into that position along the way. Took a lot of cleaning to get that back to normal, and from whatever cause, touch up paint for little new chips. Never again.

When I worked with S1G, the car was always unloaded from the same position in the enclosed trailer from where I saw it loaded. To me, that's overall easily worth a couple of hundred extra.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #20
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I usually fly and drive to get my cars and have done it 8 times now. However, I am trying to buy a car in San Francisco and live in Kentucky. The flight is cheap but that is a long haul, especially in Covid times. I picked one up in Pasadena back in 07 and took a friend with me to help on the drive back but I feel like shipping would be the better option this time.

Now I start reading reviews about these brokers and I haven't found even one with a majority of positive reviews on Yelp.

I really don't have time to do a 34 hour drive but S1Gs rates make it impractical to buy the car I want. Does Alex Lopez have a web site or do you just call the guy for a quote?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #21
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I usually fly and drive to get my cars and have done it 8 times now. However, I am trying to buy a car in San Francisco and live in Kentucky. The flight is cheap but that is a long haul, especially in Covid times. I picked one up in Pasadena back in 07 and took a friend with me to help on the drive back but I feel like shipping would be the better option this time.

Now I start reading reviews about these brokers and I haven't found even one with a majority of positive reviews on Yelp.

I really don't have time to do a 34 hour drive but S1Gs rates make it impractical to buy the car I want. Does Alex Lopez have a web site or do you just call the guy for a quote?
Here you go: https://www.dealer-transport.com

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Rollo`124.00
      05-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #22
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Plycar!

I asked my Porsche dealer which company they use to move cars around and they said Plycar. Most companies I found online were just brokers who couldn't give guaranteed pick up or drop off dates.This is a family operated business from near NYC. They have transported our Tesla 3 from PA to AZ and back without any issues.

They only use enclosed trailers and experienced employed drivers who really adhere to safe driving practices, not out to set a land speed record with millions of dollars of vehicles onboard. Typically $1/mile but like everything in life, negotiable. Fully insured and I know that our $53K car was the least expensive thing on the trip. There was a lime green metallic Vector still to be unloaded, probably worth $300k. I don't think it was one of the $850K prototypes unless it was repainted.

call 631-478-2217 or 631-973-3090. I dealt with Jim.
Appreciate 3
Rollo`124.00
BimBimM21486.00