THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Small Leak

05-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Nerf228x
Rep
Drives: 228x 430xgc

Small Leak

Hi everyone.
First post.
I'm hoping for a little help with this. I have a small leak coming from the front driver's side of a 2015 f23. It is almost in front of the wheel. The fluid seems to have a green tint to it which made me think it was coolant but it is greasy to the touch.
I looked around and didn't notice anything glaring.

I did set an appointment with a local mechanic but wanted to check with everyone here to see if anyone has experienced anything like this.

FYI. No mods outside of wheels.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

coolant has surfactant like slickness that I think is used to prevent cavitation so compare to fluid in overflow tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf228x View Post
Hi everyone.
First post.
I'm hoping for a little help with this. I have a small leak coming from the front driver's side of a 2015 f23. It is almost in front of the wheel. The fluid seems to have a green tint to it which made me think it was coolant but it is greasy to the touch.

I did set an appointment with a local mechanic but wanted to check with everyone here to see if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Thanks.
If it is coolant and is green and not blue, someone may have filled the car with incorrect coolant. Not using a coolant meeting BMW specs has been problematic on BMWs in the past due to corrosion, leaks and clogging of the cooling system.

If you don't have documentation to prove what type of coolant is in there (factory fill is blue), best to get it flushed and replaced with the correct spec.

One policy I have when purchasing used BMWs in the past is to walk away if it doesn't have the correct coolant or service records showing the engine oil used at least meets BMW specs, as negligence in both areas is a pointer to other maintenance shortcuts.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Nerf228x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
coolant has surfactant like slickness that I think is used to prevent cavitation so compare to fluid in overflow tank.
Thanks Scott.
I did have a low coolant levels over the winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
Nerf228x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone.
First post.

Thanks.
If it is coolant and is green and not blue, someone may have filled the car with incorrect coolant. Not using a coolant meeting BMW specs has been problematic on BMWs in the past due to corrosion, leaks and clogging of the cooling system.

If you don't have documentation to prove what type of coolant is in there (factory fill is blue), best to get it flushed and replaced with the correct spec.

One policy I have when purchasing used BMWs in the past is to walk away if it doesn't have the correct coolant or service records showing the engine oil used at least meets BMW specs, as negligence in both areas is a pointer to other maintenance shortcuts.
Arrow.
The coolant was green when I bought it two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone.
First post.

Thanks.

Arrow.
Nerf, it would be immensely helpful if you could take pictures of these droplets. Better yet if you can collect them on a piece of tissue, that would somewhat show you the correct color.

Take a look at this thread; of course his case is quite different than yours since he doesn't report a greenish hue to the leaked drops.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1717018
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Nerf228x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone.
First post.

Thanks.

Arrow.
Nerf, it would be immensely helpful if you could take pictures of these droplets. Better yet if you can collect them on a piece of tissue, that would somewhat show you the correct color.

Take a look at this thread; of course his case is quite different than yours since he doesn't report a greenish hue to the leaked drops.

I put paper towels down for the night to see if I could catch anything. You can see it is just inside of the wheel and pretty close to the front bumper.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:16 PM   #8
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone.
First post.

Thanks.

Arrow.

I put paper towels down for the night to see if I could catch anything. You can see it is just inside of the wheel and pretty close to the front bumper.
Thanks for your help.
If it weren't for the greenish hue, I would say your case is looking more and more similar time the dude in the thread I posted.

Man, axle boots...

In any case please update this thread after seeing your mechanic. I am very curious.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
Nerf228x
Rep

Update.
The leak was coming from the control arm bushing.
I decided to have them replace the arm vs just the bushing along with new brakes, rotors,oil change and tire rotation.

I appreciate everyone's help with this.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Update.
I decided to have them replace the arm vs just the bushing along with new brakes, rotors,oil change and tire rotation.

Thank you for the update! Seems like your case was no different than the other thread I posted. People zeroed in on control arm bushings in that thread as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
Nerf228x
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update.

Thank you for the update! Seems like your case was no different than the other thread I posted. People zeroed in on control arm bushings in that thread as well.
Exactly.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

so when the fluid leaks out of the bushing do you get any suspension noise or knocking sounds ?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
Nerf228x
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
so when the fluid leaks out of the bushing do you get any suspension noise or knocking sounds ?
I noticed a little shake in the steering wheel,not sure if that was a result of the control arm or not.
I'll let you know more when I get the car back this afternoon.
Appreciate 0