THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M240 B58 Spark Plug upgrade?

05-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

M240 B58 Spark Plug upgrade?

So I've been running a JB4 and now have dropped it and went BM3 stage 1 93 octane. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be able to get my catless pipe on and go Stage 2. I see guys upgrading for E30 tunes so at what point do you need one stage colder plugs on these cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

What does BM3 recommend for that?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

Start with doing some logs to determine if you need it. You'll end up switching sooner than normal standards too. Go to Burger tuning website and buy the B58 specific ngk when you are ready. It's a crap shoot at stage 2 if you need them. Some folks have no issue, my timing was a bit crappy so I went to the ngk and benefited. So def get a good log run in and seek advice from there. Will save you $$ I'm the end by not guessing.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-19-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Per their site they don't really say what is recommended with what tune. They just put what percentage their tunes hp is over stock. I guess it's just assumed you know what a stage 2 or 2+ entails. I've had guys say if you tune your car you need one step colder plugs. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Newbie View Post
Quote:
Per their site they don't really say what is recommended with what tune. They just put what percentage their tunes hp is over stock. I guess it's just assumed you know what a stage 2 or 2+ entails. I've had guys say if you tune your car you need one step colder plugs. That's what I'm trying to figure out.
There are threads where *their* recommendations aren't exactly great either, and so this entails the problems with OTS tunes.

Pull logs, sit with a tuner, get car custom tuned on a dyno. Do it proper instead of this guesswork.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
There are threads where *their* recommendations aren't exactly great either, and so this entails the problems with OTS tunes.

Pull logs, sit with a tuner, get car custom tuned on a dyno. Do it proper instead of this guesswork.
Agreed.

I would wager that a majority of people running OTS tunes have no clue whether they need different spark plugs or not..

Which inevitably leads to “the blind leading the blind”.

The situation isn’t one size fits all by any means, you definitely need someone to read the logs and then determine if you need a spark plug change.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

I would wager that a majority of people running OTS tunes have no clue whether they need different spark plugs or not..

Which inevitably leads to “the blind leading the blind”.

The situation isn’t one size fits all by any means, you definitely need someone to read the logs and then determine if you need a spark plug change.
I came from the subaru world. A lot of stuff was pretty standard. Generally anything over a stock turbo you'd step down your plugs. You put on a cat or an intake you needed a tune in order not to blow your engine. Simple. Start doing research for when I put my cat on and everyone says something different. I run an ots map because it's simple, easy, and the car is a lease. I'll do some logs when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I don’t know that I’d be running any OTS map on a lease.

You’re into some gray areas I wouldn’t be interested in exploring
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know that I’d be running any OTS map on a lease.

You’re into some gray areas I wouldn’t be interested in exploring
If I was worried about it I wouldn't do it. Some people are scared some people aren't. In this case I assume you would be scared.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know that I'd be running any OTS map on a lease.

You're into some gray areas I wouldn't be interested in exploring
If I was worried about it I wouldn't do it. Some people are scared some people aren't. In this case I assume you would be scared.
Https://www.reddit.com/r/iamverybadass
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #11
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Scared guy?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I would be very scared of being forced to buy a vehicle I could not originally afford to own, that I instead chose to lease and break the lease agreement by modding, in face of the obvious reasons for why it’s an issue.

Considering that if you were to somehow not get caught doing it, you would be defrauding the future purchaser of the vehicle, I have no issue with telling you that what you’re doing is incredibly stupid.

But I guess that the stupidity is self explanatory, since you want answers about spark plugs on an OTS tune, Without even producing Data logs, rather than paying for an educated answer that is customized to the vehicle that you’re currently molesting.
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I would be very scared of being forced to buy a vehicle I could not originally afford to own, that I instead chose to lease and break the lease agreement by modding, in face of the obvious reasons for why it’s an issue.

Considering that if you were to somehow not get caught doing it, you would be defrauding the future purchaser of the vehicle, I have no issue with telling you that what you’re doing is incredibly stupid.

But I guess that the stupidity is self explanatory, since you want answers about spark plugs on an OTS tune, Without even producing Data logs, rather than paying for an educated answer that is customized to the vehicle that you’re currently molesting.
Do you know there are people who actually put "money down" on a lease? Just like there are people who mod a leased car.

They walk among us... That's scary.

Hey OP, there is a thin line between ballsy and foolhardy, and we all cross it every once in a while, right? Why not However if one were to cross it, let's do it properly, yeah?

Suave, like helloelectric is right; get your data logs, and work with your timings from there. I would say save yourself the headache of hit and trial and let a tuner custom tune your car and let them do all this gapping business.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #14
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

I was going to stay out of this, but noticed your Dragy 1/4 mile time on the track/autocross page with the following (including your 11.7 time):

Dinan intake, Jb4, xhp trans flash. Waiting to put on a bm3 tune and go catless. I was very impressed.

Are you seriously doing this with a leased car??????
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
]
Exactly.

Imagine buying a CPO "lease return" (as most of the repeat german car owners do) only to find out it was molested with JB4 and who knows what else.

great way to piss on everyone else just out of selfish gluttony.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #16
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:

See your first mistake is assumptions. You assume I can't afford to own a car and that's why I lease. I'll let you in on a little secret, I could have bought this car cash and not even batted an eye. Seems like you like to assume a lot of things. I'd hate to live your life scared of everything.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-20-2020, 06:04 AM   #17
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you know there are people who actually put "money down" on a lease? Just like there are people who mod a leased car.

They walk among us... That's scary.

Hey OP, there is a thin line between ballsy and foolhardy, and we all cross it every once in a while, right? Why not However if one were to cross it, let's do it properly, yeah?

Suave, like helloelectric is right; get your data logs, and work with your timings from there. I would say save yourself the headache of hit and trial and let a tuner custom tune your car and let them do all this gapping business.
I don't put money down on leases. I assume you guys are also scared to do your own work to your own cars as well because bmw technicians do it best!!This isn't my first rodeo. I've been a Sr. Master technician for a long time and this isn't my first time modding a car in general, just new platform.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:11 AM   #18
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
I was going to stay out of this, but noticed your Dragy 1/4 mile time on the track/autocross page with the following (including your 11.7 time):

Dinan intake, Jb4, xhp trans flash. Waiting to put on a bm3 tune and go catless. I was very impressed.

Quote:
Exactly.

Imagine buying a CPO "lease return" (as most of the repeat german car owners do) only to find out it was molested with JB4 and who knows what else.

great way to piss on everyone else just out of selfish gluttony.
I'll just respond to both of you since you basically said the same thing.

I find it absolutely hilarious that both of you are basically saying "think of who will own it next". If you are worried about who will own your car next then you are just the two funniest guys I've ever came across. When you rented an apartment when you were younger and had a woman or a man over did you say to yourself "lets not have sex because someone else is going to live here one day". Also if you're scared and worried about what the previous person did to a car then pony up and buy a new car. See how that works Alek? If you can't afford to buy the car new and buy preowned then you can't be picky about what the previous owner did to the car. Put on your big boy pants and buy a brand new one. But hey, thanks for the lecture Dad. Funny how you also assume that I won't be buying out the lease when I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #19
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Https://www.reddit.com/r/insanepeoplefacebook
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't get it. I guess you live on Reddit? Tells me everything I need to know.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      05-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #21
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't put money down on leases. I assume you guys are also scared to do your own work to your own cars as well because bmw technicians do it best!!This isn't my first rodeo. I've been a Sr. Master technician for a long time and this isn't my first time modding a car in general, just new platform.
you were doing so well saying we were making assumptions about you. A little bit of post research would show how stupid of an assumption that is to make.

You should learn that hypocrisy is an ugly outfit for anyone.

Also, my professional experience has been that anyone talking about how they could “buy the car cash” has ALWAYS been the person bluffing about it.

As someone who worked in F&I, I can smell bullshit from a mile away, and you, my friend, reek of it.
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #22
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you were doing so well saying we were making assumptions about you. A little bit of post research would show how stupid of an assumption that is to make.

You should learn that hypocrisy is an ugly outfit for anyone.

Also, my professional experience has been that anyone talking about how they could “buy the car cash” has ALWAYS been the person bluffing about it.

As someone who worked in F&I, I can smell bullshit from a mile away, and you, my friend, reek of it.
Did you read his other posts? Holy shit! Dude was imploding early in the morning, "defending his internet honor" haha!

240Newbie man lets call it truce; your posts this morning were extremely defensive. AleksanderSuave and Throttlesteer14 are both good people and extremely knowledgeable. People mean well; don't take it personally. We all can learn awesome things from each other.

Appreciate 0