THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Did you all enjoy driving on the empty highway

05-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Did you all enjoy driving on the empty highway

Economy is slowly reopening so will traffic jams... soon.... Did you all enjoy driving on the empty highway?
I have been having a great time letting my baby breathe.
Saw a C8 corvette the other day; tried to have some fun but he wouldn't bite.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Had to go into the office, there was almost the same traffic as before this startled lol..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Economy is slowly reopening so will traffic jams... soon.... Did you all enjoy driving on the empty highway?
I have been having a great time letting my baby breathe.
Saw a C8 corvette the other day; tried to have some fun but he wouldn't bite.
So I am here in the Twin Cities, up in MN. It has been such a fantastic time!! There is a guy in a Lotus who I have come across twice zipping up and down the highway outside of our suburbia. He always tries to race me. So cute.

Same highway, I came across a dude in an E-series M4 (I think? I forget) twice. He raced me once and then a couple of weeks later saw me again and raced me haha. It was adorable.

People have been bringing out their toys on these cop free corona roads, and I come across someone like that almost daily. I have racked up quite little kill list. Fun times.

Actually just now raced a dude in a..... RR Sport haha. That was just stupid. But, oh well.

Edit: I did realize that I absolutely DO NOT want to ever speed around with one of these jackasses with loud ass cars, especially ones driving BMWs. Sleepers, stock, or sports cars. Those dudes have class when they race you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Had a bad feeling I'd get caught doing high speed runs.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
Had to go into the office, there was almost the same traffic as before this startled lol..
What???? Where the h are you???? LA even cleared up big time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You pay to play. Did you get a 240 to do strictly speed limit?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
You pay to play. Did you get a 240 to do strictly speed limit?
In a 235 and use Waze and Uniden R1, but I defer to my intuition - just felt the cops were hunting for big numbers during the pandemic shut-down.
I'd rather be out in the country playing than on on a multilane highway.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      05-12-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

It's been so great, seems like the roads are full of car guys. So many good races the latest few months. One silver lining to all of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

I take a particular stretch of highway to and from physical therapy twice a week, Ive had a state trooper follow me 3 times now, in the last 2 weeks, just getting on and off the highway.

They're itching to write some tickets.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Been there, done that. I never liked the conversation with the judge over how long the vehicle would be impounded nor hearing him tell me about his discretion over the fine. Fortunately, jail never came up; I had friends who had to deal with it, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Been there, done that. I never liked the conversation with the judge over how long the vehicle would be impounded nor hearing him tell me about his discretion over the fine. Fortunately, jail never came up; I had friends who had to deal with it, though.
Jail? How fast?
Would 130 in 55 do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Jail? How fast?
Would 130 in 55 do it?
I recommend checking your state's vehicle code or whatever the relevant documents are in your jurisdiction. Or you could just ask the next state trooper you come across - they'll be happy to tell you how it works. Pay attention to the part(s) where discretion on the part of the the court is discussed. The arresting officer will have his/her own discretion, too, of course.

My educated guess is that, yes, 75 over is enough to introduce you to The Conversation. It's a two-parter, really, with the first part taking place at the side of the road. FWIW, that's the important part; by the time you're in court it's pretty late in the game.

The last time I had The Conversation it was due to 47 over in a 55. I think 30 over was enough to get it done in that state, but I'm not totally sure about that. After that one, I decided it was time to start going to the track again, where you can safely go as fast as you want, and where you'll have much more fun doing so. The fun at the track is 90% in the corners and 10% on the straights, which are really just ways to get to the next braking zone. Talk about pay to play, though!

Last edited by dradernh; 05-12-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #13
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Jail? How fast?
Would 130 in 55 do it?
I recommend checking your state's vehicle code or whatever the relevant documents are in your jurisdiction. Or you could just ask the next state trooper you come across - they'll be happy to tell you how it works. Pay attention to the part(s) where discretion on the part of the the court is discussed. The arresting officer will have his/her own discretion, too, of course.

My educated guess is that, yes, 75 over is enough to introduce you to The Conversation. It's a two-parter, really, with the first part taking place at the side of the road. FWIW, that's the important part; by the time you're in court it's pretty late in the game.

The last time I had The Conversation it was due to 47 over in a 55. I think 30 over was enough to get it done in that state, but I'm not totally sure about that. After that one, I decided it was time to start going to the track again, where you can safely go as fast as you want, and where you'll have much more fun doing so. The fun at the track is 90% in the corners and 10% on the straights, which are really just ways to get to the next braking zone. Talk about pay to play, though!
Don't you just wish US were as cool as Germany?

Did you hear about this one?
Canadian Police Bust Teen Speeding at 191 MPH in Dad's Mercedes-AMG C63

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33415/...rcedes-amg-c63
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #14
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Truth is, you're never going to enjoy driving the car the way it was meant to be driven on U.S. roadways with any consistency! Because it is not Germany (Autobahns)... Without exceeding limits arbitrarily placed upon roads (think desert highway)... Anyways...

But yes, for now, enjoy the gap in enforcement of speed limits! And honestly, I drive fairly agressive always, regardless, but I took a little spin yesterday morning and was amazed at all the Mario's (Andretti) out there suddenly, lolzzz

Anyways, I trust my eyes, and my Uniden as well, I trust my skills and my BMW more! Is scary how stable today's cars are at such speeds. I remember the days when hitting 120mph+ was like riding the Coney island roller coaster, you hoped it all worked out! Hahahaha, could hear and feel the car straining. These things today purrrrrr and grip/are planted very well. Only thing I'd feel more comfortable with is a cage, that's all . I live where there's hills and many a twisting roads, is awesome being able to open it up a bit. A few weeks ago roads were completely empty, now many have caught on and are out for rides, so I'm not able to open it up too much as before. Maddening too, is the Sunday joy Rider out there who feels just drifting along -20mph under the limit is ok and everyone behind them should do the same! Best thing about driving in Germany was the culture of tolerance and how drivers weren't idiots in the proportion it exists here, lol! That all said...

Have fun, be careful, but above all, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #15
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Truth is, you're never going to enjoy driving the car the way it was meant to be driven on U.S. roadways with any consistency! Because it is not Germany (Autobahns)... Without exceeding limits arbitrarily placed upon roads (think desert highway)... Anyways...

But yes, for now, enjoy the gap in enforcement of speed limits! And honestly, I drive fairly agressive always, regardless, but I took a little spin yesterday morning and was amazed at all the Mario's (Andretti) out there suddenly, lolzzz

Anyways, I trust my eyes, and my Uniden as well, I trust my skills and my BMW more! Is scary how stable today's cars are at such speeds. I remember the days when hitting 120mph+ was like riding the Coney island roller coaster, you hoped it all worked out! Hahahaha, could hear and feel the car straining. These things today purrrrrr and grip/are planted very well. Only thing I'd feel more comfortable with is a cage, that's all . I live where there's hills and many a twisting roads, is awesome being able to open it up a bit. A few weeks ago roads were completely empty, now many have caught on and are out for rides, so I'm not able to open it up too much as before. Maddening too, is the Sunday joy Rider out there who feels just drifting along -20mph under the limit is ok and everyone behind them should do the same! Best thing about driving in Germany was the culture of tolerance and how drivers weren't idiots in the proportion it exists here, lol! That all said...

Have fun, be careful, but above all, enjoy!
Yes people are catching on! Every evening I go out someone wants to race about. In all honesty I indulged this in the in the beginning but seems like it might be getting a bit much, and care is warranted.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't you just wish US were as cool as Germany?

Did you hear about this one?
Canadian Police Bust Teen Speeding at 191 MPH in Dad's Mercedes-AMG C63

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33415/...rcedes-amg-c63
1) My opinion is that the autobahn is highly overrated as a thing to do. I've driven it E-W-N&S, and its greatest feature is that you get where you're going more quickly than you would here in the States. There are, however, speed limits in built-up areas, there is still traffic, and with much of it two-lanes each way, having trucks limited to 90 KPH in the right-hand lane can make for some exciting moments as drivers going 100 KPH pull out to go around while you're approaching at 250 KPH in the left-hand lane. The three-lane sections away from cities are the places to get the full effect. But after the first half-hour or so...well, at that point...been there, done that. I'm jaded, I know.

2) I don't get into that stuff.

My suggestion is the same as always: take your car to a circuit track if you want some real excitement. Street driving will never feel the same after you do that 2-3 times.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      05-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
KrispyM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 2015 M4

I've mostly been going fishing recently and on one of the trips back ran into an older ~600cc bike. Guy nodded at me, so we went at it from like a 40 roll. Was surprised to beat him, but guy was super cool. Rode by me doing a wheelie until I got off my exit, sucked nobody grabbed a rolling shot lol.

As far as the Uniden stuff goes, I have one and since this lockdown started I've only picked up like 1 cop on it, seems most of them aren't running with their radar or whatever because there's been plenty of times I was right next to a cop and it didn't peep.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 11:40 PM   #18
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrispyM240 View Post
I've mostly been going fishing recently and on one of the trips back ran into an older ~600cc bike. Guy nodded at me, so we went at it from like a 40 roll. Was surprised to beat him, but guy was super cool. Rode by me doing a wheelie until I got off my exit, sucked nobody grabbed a rolling shot lol.

As far as the Uniden stuff goes, I have one and since this lockdown started I've only picked up like 1 cop on it, seems most of them aren't running with their radar or whatever because there's been plenty of times I was right next to a cop and it didn't peep.
Must have been laser
Appreciate 0