THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Suspension refresh, opinions/advice?

05-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Inline_Sex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport

Suspension refresh, opinions/advice?

Hello! I have a 2014 228i Msport coming up on 80k miles. I've got a set of ST coilovers on order, and I was hoping to get some ideas of what other suspension components I should look to replace while i'm in there. I have read probably every thread in the suspension/brake forum, but haven't found much regarding the wear frequency on some of these parts. My instinct normally would be to just replace everything, but I don't want to spend a ton of money replacing parts that have a good deal of life left.

Also, if I need to replace the control arms and tension struts, I'm considering the M3/M4 upgrade, but worried about wheel/tire fitment when lowered. Will I rub with aggressive fitment? (18x8.5 et35 square with 225/40 front and 245/35 rear) Edit: Just finished reading the LCA/TS thread, and it looks like the answer to this question is a yes. There seem to be less aggressive setups dealing with rubbing issues, so I will probably not go this route.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Inline_Sex; 05-07-2020 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline_Sex View Post
Hello! I have a 2014 228i Msport coming up on 80k miles. I've got a set of ST coilovers on order, and I was hoping to get some ideas of what other suspension components I should look to replace while i'm in there. I have read probably every thread in the suspension/brake forum, but haven't found much regarding the wear frequency on some of these parts. My instinct normally would be to just replace everything, but I don't want to spend a ton of money replacing parts that have a good deal of life left.

Also, if I need to replace the control arms and tension struts, I'm considering the M3/M4 upgrade, but worried about wheel/tire fitment when lowered. Will I rub with aggressive fitment? (18x8.5 et35 square with 225/40 front and 245/35 rear) Edit: Just finished reading the LCA/TS thread, and it looks like the answer to this question is a yes. There seem to be less aggressive setups dealing with rubbing issues, so I will probably not go this route.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've experimented with multiple iterations of suspension combinations on my '14 M235i, including Dinan's suspension kit, KW V3's, Ohlins R&T, Bilstein B14, Vorshlag camber plates, different end link lengths, LCA's, and tension struts.

I'm at 82k and found a setup that I think is rather perfect:

Bilstein B14
OE Strut Mounts
F8X LCAs
TRW Tension struts (OE)

- I don't know much about ST other than its relationship to KW, but if they don't work out give the B14's a try. Of all the F22 coilover setups I've tried, they are by far the best.
- Do not get camber plates unless you have a reliable alignment system on hand. Additionally, I found that the additional noises and harshness aren't really worth it, even on track, considering enough camber can be had with F8X LCAs. Why sacrifice comfort if you don't need to?
- F8X LCAs are pretty awesome. They drop the car a bit as well so you'll get more travel out of the front coilovers.
- Your tension struts might be fine, but TRW makes great stuff and the kit is really cheap, might as well do it while you're in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Inline_Sex
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Boat View Post
I've experimented with multiple iterations of suspension combinations on my '14 M235i, including Dinan's suspension kit, KW V3's, Ohlins R&T, Bilstein B14, Vorshlag camber plates, different end link lengths, LCA's, and tension struts.

I'm at 82k and found a setup that I think is rather perfect:

Bilstein B14
OE Strut Mounts
F8X LCAs
TRW Tension struts (OE)

- I don't know much about ST other than its relationship to KW, but if they don't work out give the B14's a try. Of all the F22 coilover setups I've tried, they are by far the best.
- Do not get camber plates unless you have a reliable alignment system on hand. Additionally, I found that the additional noises and harshness aren't really worth it, even on track, considering enough camber can be had with F8X LCAs. Why sacrifice comfort if you don't need to?
- F8X LCAs are pretty awesome. They drop the car a bit as well so you'll get more travel out of the front coilovers.
- Your tension struts might be fine, but TRW makes great stuff and the kit is really cheap, might as well do it while you're in there.
Thanks for the reply, that is good info. I definitely considered the Bilstein set, but ultimately ordered the ST coilovers due to the mono tube vs twin tube design. I don't plan on tracking this car (unless this N20 blows up and I decide to do something crazy), seems like consensus is monotube will be more compliant cruising around town, in theory at least.

Definitely interested in the F8X arms, looks like a good upgrade for a spirited driver like myself, but looks like it creates some fitment issues as well. Are you on stock wheels?

You mentioned trying different end link lengths. Did you buy adjustable end links or did you source a specific length somewhere?

As of right now I'm thinking I will replace:
F/R strut mounts
Front LCA (TRW)
Front tension struts (TRW)
F/R end links

I'm not sure if anything else is likely to wear/fail in the next 30-50k, or even if replacing any of the above is premature at this mileage? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, that is good info. I definitely considered the Bilstein set, but ultimately ordered the ST coilovers due to the mono tube vs twin tube design. I don't plan on tracking this car (unless this N20 blows up and I decide to do something crazy), seems like consensus is monotube will be more compliant cruising around town, in theory at least.

Definitely interested in the F8X arms, looks like a good upgrade for a spirited driver like myself, but looks like it creates some fitment issues as well. Are you on stock wheels?

You mentioned trying different end link lengths. Did you buy adjustable end links or did you source a specific length somewhere?

As of right now I'm thinking I will replace:
F/R strut mounts
Front LCA (TRW)
Front tension struts (TRW)
F/R end links

I'm not sure if anything else is likely to wear/fail in the next 30-50k, or even if replacing any of the above is premature at this mileage? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Looks good!

Actually KW/ST are the leaders in twin tube dampers, Bilstein and Ohlins are mono-tube. The mono vs. twin tube debate is hotly contested; I've had both on multiple cars, street and track, and honestly can't tell a difference. For me what makes a difference is well-matched spring and damper. For the record, I thought my KW's were better than the mono-tube Ohlins, especially on street. In any case, your STs will be a huge improvement over stock.

For the F8X LCA's, you shouldn't have any fitment issues with stock wheels. I run a pretty aggressive 18" 8.5 +45 F and 9.5 +58 rear with a two-finger gap front and rear without any rubbing at all. Keep in mind though that the front will be severely toed out after installation, so a tow to an alignment shop will be necessary unless you feel comfortable adjusting the toe yourself. Again, the additional lowering from the F8X LCA's is in itself a huge advantage since you get to raise the front coilovers, adding about an inch of damper travel.

I use a slightly shorter adjustable front end link set from Turner Motorsports, but you can absolutely use your stock end links. I think I chose the 270mm versions. I wouldn't replace the rear end links, the stock versions are perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:39 AM   #5
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Sail Boat, do you know how much Bilstein B14 lowers the car at the highest position? I´m thinking about installing B12 or B14 and one of my requirements is not lowering the car too much (I have F8x LCA+TS and also a front lip), as it is my daily car.

I wonder if there is any difference between B12 and B14 at the highest position (height comparation).

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdeed View Post
Sail Boat, do you know how much Bilstein B14 lowers the car at the highest position? I´m thinking about installing B12 or B14 and one of my requirements is not lowering the car too much (I have F8x LCA+TS and also a front lip), as it is my daily car.

I wonder if there is any difference between B12 and B14 at the highest position (height comparation).

Thank you
To compensate for the front drop afforded by the F8X LCA's, you need the B14's height adjustability otherwise you will have some rake (front lower than the rear). Also, the B14's have a more aggressive spring rate that is still comfortable.

Not much at all, I'd say maybe half an inch. For what it's worth, I am at a two-finger gap and do not scrape or rub anything, so you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
Inline_Sex
Registered
Rep

Hi Sail Boat. I found a thread where you asked this question, but nobody replied:

Quote:
Does anyone know if there's any difference between the 228i and M235i 3-bolt top mounts? The only difference I can think of is a different strut diameter between the active and non-active dampers.

There seems to be 3 separate 3-bolt top mount part numbers:

Thanks!
Did you ever figure it out? I'm also wondering if there is a "beefier" strut mount option.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
To compensate for the front drop afforded by the F8X LCA's, you need the B14's height adjustability otherwise you will have some rake (front lower than the rear). Also, the B14's have a more aggressive spring rate that is still comfortable.

Not much at all, I'd say maybe half an inch. For what it's worth, I am at a two-finger gap and do not scrape or rub anything, so you should be fine.
Thank you the info. Just one more question, when you say "maybe half an inch" , you mean B12 is that lower than B14 at highest, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdeed View Post
Thank you the info. Just one more question, when you say "maybe half an inch" , you mean B12 is that lower than B14 at highest, right?
I meant in comparison to stock, but I think the adjustability of the B14 will allow you to get closer to stock height than the B12 and certainly lower.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi Sail Boat. I found a thread where you asked this question, but nobody replied:

Did you ever figure it out? I'm also wondering if there is a "beefier" strut mount option.
Yeah I never found anything out - I made the decision to buy the non-adaptive version because it's what Bilstein calls for with their suspensions. I can't remember which, but one of the P/Ns has been discontinued.
Appreciate 0