THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Replace control arms/wishbones at same time as tension struts/thrust arms?

03-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
wallofgrath
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Replace control arms/wishbones at same time as tension struts/thrust arms?

I need to replace a tension strut (aka thrust arm) bushing on my M235i at 47k miles, so I will just replace both complete arms. While doing this job, should I also be replacing both wishbones (aka control arms) as preventative maintenance? Or do they not wear out as quickly?

Also, is there any significant reason to upgrade to the "M" parts vs. the OE replacement? I am trying to keep this car 100% stock, but I realize now will be my only window of opportunity to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

That is a low mileage to have to change out the bushings. So you've got a rogue failure going on rather than you've reached the wear limit.

M arms are a good upgrade if you drive hard. The rear arm is monoball instead of pliant rubber bush, and the front arm is a stiffer rubber bush.

Therefore, if only street driving, I would probably stay with stock arms. Track driving, go with the M arms.

Another option for you is to fit poly bushes in your standard arms. Not that I'd recommend that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
wallofgrath
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Thank you. I bought a set of TRW (OEM) arms.
Appreciate 0