THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Vehicle transport companies?

05-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Enclosed > open is a HUGE factor; may be more expensive up front, but not in the long run (how much does paint correction cost?). There is also a major difference between brokers and true full-time companies w/ their own employees (this is even more true for moving companies). If this kind of price diff is a deal-breaker, then you may want to reconsider and buy later when yo are more solvent (i.e. the prices noted above are around 900-1200, so even a 50% bump on that is only another 600, or about what a brake job would cost). If you do insist on an open carrier, do not try to use a tarp or cover - the wind will whip it into cutting right thru your paint. Note that dealers use the cling-wrap; if you could get the originating seller to put that on the car it would go a long way to mitigate the damage, but you will still regret not going w/ a covered and careful transporter.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #24
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddoc View Post
I asked my Porsche dealer which company they use to move cars around and they said Plycar. Most companies I found online were just brokers who couldn't give guaranteed pick up or drop off dates.This is a family operated business from near NYC. They have transported our Tesla 3 from PA to AZ and back without any issues.

They only use enclosed trailers and experienced employed drivers who really adhere to safe driving practices, not out to set a land speed record with millions of dollars of vehicles onboard. Typically $1/mile but like everything in life, negotiable. Fully insured and I know that our $53K car was the least expensive thing on the trip. There was a lime green metallic Vector still to be unloaded, probably worth $300k. I don't think it was one of the $850K prototypes unless it was repainted.

call 631-478-2217 or 631-973-3090. I dealt with Jim.
Thanks - I will check these guys out, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Enclosed > open is a HUGE factor; may be more expensive up front, but not in the long run (how much does paint correction cost?). There is also a major difference between brokers and true full-time companies w/ their own employees (this is even more true for moving companies). If this kind of price diff is a deal-breaker, then you may want to reconsider and buy later when yo are more solvent (i.e. the prices noted above are around 900-1200, so even a 50% bump on that is only another 600, or about what a brake job would cost). If you do insist on an open carrier, do not try to use a tarp or cover - the wind will whip it into cutting right thru your paint. Note that dealers use the cling-wrap; if you could get the originating seller to put that on the car it would go a long way to mitigate the damage, but you will still regret not going w/ a covered and careful transporter.
I had a car shipped once before and didn't (know enough to) bother about open/enclosed, went with transport provided by the dealer. Admittedly, it wasn't an especially long trip, Nebraska -> Missouri, but the car was just fine when it arrived, not even all that dirty. But - I am not nearly as particular about keeping my car meticulous as many on this forum are. There very well could've been minute paint imperfections that I did not notice!

However, that said... for a few hundred dollars more, I agree with you 100% and decided I'll use S1G when I realized it was enclosed. It's clearly worth an extra ~$300 to use a company with employees, and enclosed transport, relative to a ~$47k purchase. Their price is actually perfectly reasonable relative to the other two, considering that difference.

The bigger con to S1G, for me, is that he said it could take him up to 30 days to be able to pick up the car. This is because, due to Covid, it could take that long for him to have enough of a load to make the trip worthwhile. But when I asked, he agreed that he would guarantee me that it would be no longer than 30 days, so that I could get the dealership to agree to hold the car for me for up to that period. I imagine that this is one of the challenges of having your own drivers - you cannot just reach out to whatever independent driver happens to be in the right area at the right time.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:34 PM   #25
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I am buying a CPO car priced in the upper 20k range and need it shipped 2300 miles. It just doesn't make sense to me to spend about 10% of the purchase price for enclosed shipping by S1G. However, some of the other companies I have looked at do not charge that much for enclosed so we will see how it shakes out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:24 AM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I have never encountered an open transport with S1G. Are you certain? They just quoted me $1,234 for a 2,016 mile enclosed transport in July. I believe the costs are not linear for different length trips, but I'd reconfirm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
I am buying a CPO car priced in the upper 20k range and need it shipped 2300 miles. It just doesn't make sense to me to spend about 10% of the purchase price for enclosed shipping by S1G. However, some of the other companies I have looked at do not charge that much for enclosed so we will see how it shakes out.
Your math is quite different than my experience. They quoted you over $2,500 to transport one car about the same distance as I have been doing repeatedly for a few years around $1000-$1,200?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #27
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddoc View Post
I asked my Porsche dealer which company they use to move cars around and they said Plycar. Most companies I found online were just brokers who couldn't give guaranteed pick up or drop off dates.This is a family operated business from near NYC. They have transported our Tesla 3 from PA to AZ and back without any issues.

They only use enclosed trailers and experienced employed drivers who really adhere to safe driving practices, not out to set a land speed record with millions of dollars of vehicles onboard. Typically $1/mile but like everything in life, negotiable. Fully insured and I know that our $53K car was the least expensive thing on the trip. There was a lime green metallic Vector still to be unloaded, probably worth $300k. I don't think it was one of the $850K prototypes unless it was repainted.

call 631-478-2217 or 631-973-3090. I dealt with Jim.
I second Plycar! I had to get cars transported four times, and Plycar has been consistently amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #28
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Your math is quite different than my experience. They quoted you over $2,500 to transport one car about the same distance as I have been doing repeatedly for a few years around $1000-$1,200?
I was using the price per mile listed earlier in this thread. I will definitely follow up with them for a quote. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

I’ve paid between $500-$700 at the max for open transport.

You guys really need to get a quote from the guy I used. I shared his info on page 1..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #30
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
I’ve paid between $500-$700 at the max for open transport.

You guys really need to get a quote from the guy I used. I shared his info on page 1..
I did! See post #11 (and post #16).

Both quotes I have gotten for open transport, including Alex, have been in the range you indicate.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #31
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Interesting note on pricing and making assumptions about price per mile...

I asked S1G for a new quote because of another car I am seriously considering, this one Houston metro -> St. Louis metro, a trip of ~800 miles. The first trip he quoted was ~890 miles (Philadelphia metro -> St. Louis metro).

So I expected it to be similar, maybe less. However, it is $150 more.

So on the 1st quote he was at $950 for 890 miles, or $1.07/mile.
On the 2nd quote, he is at $1100 for 800 miles, or $1.38/mile.

Clearly there are other considerations than distance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Interesting note on pricing and making assumptions about price per mile...

I asked S1G for a new quote because of another car I am seriously considering, this one Houston metro -> St. Louis metro, a trip of ~800 miles. The first trip he quoted was ~890 miles (Philadelphia metro -> St. Louis metro).

So I expected it to be similar, maybe less. However, it is $150 more.

So on the 1st quote he was at $950 for 890 miles, or $1.07/mile.
On the 2nd quote, he is at $1100 for 800 miles, or $1.38/mile.

Clearly there are other considerations than distance.
Ever try to compare airline rates? This same phenomenon occurs, sometimes to apparently absurd extremes. Fixed costs, frequency of routes, number of other loads on that route, demand, etc. all factor in.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #33
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Among the lower cost contractor-driver companies, we have used Montway twice, with excellent results, no-haggle ow price, on-time pick-up and delivery, courteous service. We just shipped our daughter's old Lexus from the SF Bay Area to Long Island. The company was flexible about pick-up and allowed us a few days' delay at the last minute, they let her fill the car with possessions, and delivered it on time yesterday in under a week.
The contractor operations have many more haulers available, so they can make up their loads more easily and quickly, which translates into faster delivery. The better ones know their contractor drivers well. Of course, if you are transporting a precious gem . . .
Appreciate 0