THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Crummy AppleCarplay Sound?

05-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
abraxas613
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 230i

Garage List
Crummy AppleCarplay Sound?

Apologies if this has been covered in the past.

Firstly, I made sure to get the HK stereo upgrade for the 2020 230i. The folks at the dealership walked me through the carplay setup. Over time, I started to realize that something wasn't quite right...the quality wasn't up to snuff. I messed around with the tone settings....a little better but not that good. AM radio sounded better.

I did a little research regarding this issue and it seems to be rather common. The EQ settings on the phone itself seemed to be a point of contention? Anyway, so I deleted the phone from the car and the car off of my phone's Bluetooth profiles. Also, I disabled my phone's EQ settings.

Solution:
This time, I didn't enable Carplay right away. I simply added the device via bluetooth first, then it asked me to initialize Carplay...so I did that. Music quality is much much much better. Now the soundstage is happening. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Have you tried connecting it via AUX to see if you can duplicate the Bluetooth issues?

I just got my M240i with HK about a week about and I plan to try your fix if AUX sounds better than Bluetooth because damn, this base 230i loaner has a better sound system than my HK M240i!

Something isn't right.
      05-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
abraxas613
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 230i

Garage List
I have not tried the Aux channel. However, I will say that the method I tried is night and day better then before (bluetooth first then followed by Apple Carplay). IMO this seems more like a sequence issue with iDrive's Apple Carplay implementation.

Nonetheless, I'll try the Aux channel (provided I can locate the port if it even exists) if not I'll test via USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Have you tried connecting it via AUX to see if you can duplicate the Bluetooth issues?

I just got my M240i with HK about a week about and I plan to try your fix if AUX sounds better than Bluetooth because damn, this base 230i loaner has a better sound system than my HK M240i!

Something isn't right.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
This is good advice, and where I would start.
Appreciate 0