THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Buy now or wait? Or order?

05-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Buy now or wait? Or order?

Hi everyone! I posted earlier in this thread & gave some background there, but I am in the market for a new BMW - and my first 2 series.

I am currently in a 2018 440xi Gran Coupe. I don't love it. It's beautiful (Estoril blue), but it isn't exciting to drive. The 440 is a lease, which isn't up until October (4 payments left). This was my second lease, and I have decided that I really do not like the time constraints of a lease, so I plan to buy this time around.

I have more or less settled on getting an M240i xDrive coupe, 2018-2020. I need to decide whether to (a) buy now in May, (b) wait and see what happens in June, or (c) wait until October when my current lease is up.

Why buy now?
1) There are some killer incentives right now, through May. Will they be renewed in June?
--- $3750 in factory rebates for financing + loyalty
--- 0.9% APR
2) Dealers may be offering better discounts due to sluggish sales.
3) I'm impatient. (Has to count for something, right?)

Why wait until June?
1) Have read some analyst commentary that used car values are likely to fall further in June.
2) One less payment on the lease.
3) Maybe BMW will roll out a pull-ahead program??
CON: Maybe the incentives all go away!

Why wait until Sep/Oct?
1) Get through rest of lease. (Remaining payments = $2224)
2) Maybe BMW will roll out a pull-ahead program??
3) 2021s will be coming out - maybe get a better deal on a 2020, or maybe even a 2021.
4) Have a look at the redesigned 2021 4 series.
CON: Maybe the incentives go away & interest rates are back up (personally I doubt the latter, but who knows these days).

A 4th option could be to look into custom ordering... I have never done that, but I have heard in the past that it may be possible to get an equal amount of discount on an order vs a car in inventory. I'm also having trouble locating a car with exactly what I want (would really like Coral Red interior). But I'm not sure whether the rebates & financing apply to an ordered car vs inventory, as well - have an email into my dealer to get his input. This would have the added benefit that my lease would be mostly or entirely up by the time the car arrives (guessing ordering timelines are delayed since I think the Munich plant just reopened).

I know ultimately I will have to decide for myself, but I would love any advice/commentary.

Last edited by Wyldstyle; 05-20-2020 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Kinda goes for every year as we buy often in summer months for incentives. If you could get 10% off plus incentives, buy now is great. 7% or less, why not get the newer model year and no depreciation ?

There MAY be incentives on 2021 esp. under circumstances. On an order, 7% off MSRP is solid, and get what you want..if you keep over 3 years, amount of discount and/or model year, won't matter quite as much

I'd wait until August 1, order a 2021 (can buy then yes ?) they will lock in an incentives (if any) and give you the extras if any when it comes in October.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Hi everyone! I posted earlier in this thread & gave some background there, but I am in the market for a new BMW - and my first 2 series.

I am currently in a 2018 440xi Gran Coupe. I don't love it. It's beautiful (Estoril blue), but it isn't exciting to drive. The 440 is a lease, which isn't up until October (4 payments left). This was my second lease, and I have decided that I really do not like the time constraints of a lease, so I plan to buy this time around.

I have more or less settled on getting an M240i xDrive coupe, 2018-2020. I need to decide whether to (a) buy now in May, (b) wait and see what happens in June, or (c) wait until October when my current lease is up.

Why buy now?
1) There are some killer incentives right now, through May. Will they be renewed in June?
--- $3750 in factory rebates for financing + loyalty
--- 0.9% APR
2) Dealers may be offering better discounts due to sluggish sales.
3) I'm impatient. (Has to count for something, right?)

Why wait until June?
1) Have read some analyst commentary that used car values are likely to fall further in June.
2) One less payment on the lease.
3) Maybe BMW will roll out a pull-ahead program??
CON: Maybe the incentives all go away!

Why wait until Sep/Oct?
1) Get through rest of lease. (Remaining payments = $2224)
2) Maybe BMW will roll out a pull-ahead program??
3) 2021s will be coming out - maybe get a better deal on a 2020, or maybe even a 2021.
4) Have a look at the redesigned 2021 4 series.
CON: Maybe the incentives go away & interest rates are back up (personally I doubt the latter, but who knows these days).

A 4th option could be to look into custom ordering... I have never done that, but I have heard in the past that it may be possible to get an equal amount of discount on an order vs a car in inventory. I'm also having trouble locating a car with exactly what I want (would really like Coral Red interior). But I'm not sure whether the rebates & financing apply to an ordered car vs inventory, as well - have an email into my dealer to get his input. This would have the added benefit that my lease would be mostly or entirely up by the time the car arrives (guessing ordering timelines are delayed since I think the Munich plant just reopened).

I know ultimately I will have to decide for myself, but I would love any advice/commentary.
Have you looked at leasehackr forums? (Yes the "e" is missing for some dumb stylistic reason).

They are always a great source of info on other lease and sale incentives. As you are looking nationwide, keep in mind that sale/lease incentives can be wildly different region by region. In certain regions, given the combination of MF and RV, it may make more sense to lease.

I would recommend posting on leasehackr as well. Yes, as the name implies the forum is primarily for discussing and "hacking" leases but it is a great community and there are some fantastic brokers there as well.

A little birdy told me that come June 1st there will be some aggressive incentives coming from BMW (particularly for the X7). I am assuming that may be true for other models as well. Keep in mind that sporty two door coupes are not exactly in demand right now.

As to your point regarding the 4 series, that sweet B58TU with 50 extra hp is lovely maybe that will offset the car's bulbous ass? Can't say!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

If you go for used/in-stock, part of the trick will be hiding your love for red interiors - to most dealers they are a drag that few people want, and you can play up the 'geeez, if only it didn't have a red interior' for some leverage. That said, I see a fair number with that combo, so it may be worthwhile to check the BMWCCA classifieds (IIRC, there was recently a silver/red 2'er listed). In our area they are deeply hurting, and cutting prices pretty hard (at least on the z4 I was tire-kicking); this would probably extend to new orders as well, and then you can get exactly what you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
If you go for used/in-stock, part of the trick will be hiding your love for red interiors - to most dealers they are a drag that few people want, and you can play up the 'geeez, if only it didn't have a red interior' for some leverage. That said, I see a fair number with that combo, so it may be worthwhile to check the BMWCCA classifieds (IIRC, there was recently a silver/red 2'er listed). In our area they are deeply hurting, and cutting prices pretty hard (at least on the z4 I was tire-kicking); this would probably extend to new orders as well, and then you can get exactly what you want.
I have been tire kicking a Z4 M40i too. Mind sharing what they were cutting down to?

P.s. I am based in MN, in the glorious Twin Cities
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Kinda goes for every year as we buy often in summer months for incentives. If you could get 10% off plus incentives, buy now is great. 7% or less, why not get the newer model year and no depreciation ?

There MAY be incentives on 2021 esp. under circumstances. On an order, 7% off MSRP is solid, and get what you want..if you keep over 3 years, amount of discount and/or model year, won't matter quite as much

I'd wait until August 1, order a 2021 (can buy then yes ?) they will lock in an incentives (if any) and give you the extras if any when it comes in October.

Good Luck
Thanks! This is very helpful, especially the info on discount on inventory vs. an order. I like your advice on ordering - I wonder if I can actually wait until August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Have you looked at leasehackr forums? (Yes the "e" is missing for some dumb stylistic reason).

They are always a great source of info on other lease and sale incentives. As you are looking nationwide, keep in mind that sale/lease incentives can be wildly different region by region. In certain regions, given the combination of MF and RV, it may make more sense to lease.

I would recommend posting on leasehackr as well. Yes, as the name implies the forum is primarily for discussing and "hacking" leases but it is a great community and there are some fantastic brokers there as well.

A little birdy told me that come June 1st there will be some aggressive incentives coming from BMW (particularly for the X7). I am assuming that may be true for other models as well. Keep in mind that sporty two door coupes are not exactly in demand right now.

As to your point regarding the 4 series, that sweet B58TU with 50 extra hp is lovely maybe that will offset the car's bulbous ass? Can't say!
Yes, actually - I have been on LeaseHackr in the past, especially when I was trying to figure out whether I could get out of my 440 lease early. I did look on there a little bit to see if I could get extra insight into a 2 series purchase, and mostly what I determined was that they typically lease poorly. (I don't really want to lease again though, regardless.) So there isn't nearly as much info on there as for, say, a 3 series. But that is good advice, and I'll definitely go have another look. I am very curious about possible incentives in June. Always so hard to decide whether this is as good as it's going to get or might get better, like buying stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
This is a great tip!

I am a little on the fence between Coral Red and Cognac, thinking with probably a Mineral Grey exterior (but maybe white - in which case, not sure Mineral vs Alpine) - but that is a topic for another thread... and there appear to be plenty such threads around already!

BTW, if your handle is a Tool reference, you're awesome!
Appreciate 0