THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Fuel additives (Race/Octane)

04-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Fuel additives (Race/Octane)

So... Anyone use additives like "Torco" Race Fuel" (non-leaded of course)

Especially in low octane environments?

Curious!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Race gas or additives? I would skip the additives and adjust your driving habits if it's a temporary situation. Your car will adjust timing to compensate. Most octane boosters contain MMT, which will coat your internals with manganese oxide and potentially kill your catalytic converter.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Guess you missed the part where I asked if you used it. Have experience with using it. Not anecdotal diatribe. Please post validation for your statement that Torco actually contains MMT otherwise. But thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

A simple google search would have cleared that up for you, skippy. But hey, don't listen to my diatribe. Fill your tank full of it and then don't complain when you're staring at an orange mess and an empty wallet. It's your car.

And for the record, my recommendation was based on experience. Perhaps you shouldn't assume.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4350.50
      04-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
Race gas or additives? I would skip the additives and adjust your driving habits if it's a temporary situation. Your car will adjust timing to compensate. Most octane boosters contain MMT, which will coat your internals with manganese oxide and potentially kill your catalytic converter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
A simple google search would have cleared that up for you, skippy. But hey, don't listen to my diatribe. Fill your tank full of it and then don't complain when you're staring at an orange mess and an empty wallet. It's your car.

And for the record, my recommendation was based on experience. Perhaps you shouldn't assume.
So tell me your experience, because both of your posts neglect to mention it. You statement about "most" octane boosters, does not address my question as I did not ask about octane boosters, but one brand in particular.

Second is you don't "fill" your tank with it, and the statements are diatribe because you offer no substance to support your post.

I haven't assumed anything, just responding to an arbitrary post absent any information other than anecdotal affirmation that something is bad, don't do it.

Provide your personal experience with Torco Fuel and then I can "listen" to your suggestion.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think you know what the word "diatribe" means. But, that's besides the point. I have used STP, Lucas, and 108booster before in my cars. In my personal experience, I've removed spark plugs and ultimately the head to find a rust-colored, caked-on substance covering everything. It took soaking things in Seafoam and a wire brush to remove said coating. Although the newer additives are effective at raising octane levels, they actually make your gasoline less efficient. Consider that your average gallon of gas already contains 10% ethanol (burns much less efficient than gas). Now you add something that raises the octane, but also decreases your efficiency. I have not used Torco, but your original post referenced "additives like Torco". The additives I used were designed for the same purpose and contained many of the same ingredients, including MMT.

Here's my opinion piece. In a forced-induction or high-compression car, I would feel safe with the ECM adjusting timing to accommodate a few octane less than your standard premium. If you're in New Mexico or somewhere where you can only get 87 octane, perhaps the octane booster is your only safe bet.
Appreciate 1
cooolone2623.50
      04-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Fwiw i run ultra 94 pump gas almost all the time, but sometimes I run 100 octane leaded fuel half and half with 94 when. I'm pushing the car hard. I'm fully catless and it leaves a sort of green hinge on the spark plugs after time. Really makes a nice difference

(Yes I'm fully aware of its effects on 02 sensors brw?
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

MMT was an octane additive used by refineries for years until catalytic converters came out in the 80s and 90s. On catless cars there doesn't seem to be any long term issues running it.

I've ran a dozen or so cans of Boostane professional over the last two years. The plugs were changed just prior to starting to use it and although they turned orange there has been no misfires or problems. Torco, Race Gas, and Boostane seem to be the best, would recommend trying any of those if you're worried about fuel quality and are tuned.
Appreciate 0