THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Question about ceramic coating care

03-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
BelugaaF22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i N20

Question about ceramic coating care

Hi all,

My F22 currently has ceramic pro on it. I was wondering if I leave it unwashed after the rain (ie. rain spots and dirt still visible on the car), would it hurt the ceramic coat at all? Ive been super busy and just have not gotten the chance to go to my detailer (I have no access to water hose in my apt. parking spot). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I thought the whole purpose of ceramic was that water spots would wash right out and not etch into the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Ceramic Pro (& other ceramic coatings) is a hard coating that affords scratch protection & leaves a smooth, slick finish to allows bugs, dirt & water to be easily removed. Not washing the car should not hurt the ceramic layer.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
BelugaaF22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Ceramic Pro (& other ceramic coatings) is a hard coating that affords scratch protection & leaves a smooth, slick finish to allows bugs, dirt & water to be easily removed. Not washing the car should not hurt the ceramic layer.
Thank you for making is short and sweet
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

The ceramic coating is only sensitive to the moisture during the cure phase... It hardens over 24-48hrs. Afterwards, it's good to go.

That said, don't believe the hype that it's impervious! It can scratch too... Keeping dirt off it is easier, but shouldn't be neglected. It's hydrophobic (repels water) but is not diamond hard. It does bond with the paint permanently, so it should be taken care of (keep clean). It can chip and deep scratches (keys) can still happen. If you take it to a car wash, over time, it will suffer the same as every other car that does, swirls... Lol. It will just be a little dull more so than anything.

Ceramic coating is just that, a glass coating, it has a higher hardness than paint, and a vehicles Clear Coat, approximately 3X harder. It is not to be confused with paint protection film that can heal small scratches. Either way, it's a great way to keep a car looking awesome! But be sure, wash it, keep it clean, recharge/boost it and it'll keep that new car look for a very long time!
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
BelugaaF22
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
The ceramic coating is only sensitive to the moisture during the cure phase... It hardens over 24-48hrs. Afterwards, it's good to go.

That said, don't believe the hype that it's impervious! It can scratch too... Keeping dirt off it is easier, but shouldn't be neglected. It's hydrophobic (repels water) but is not diamond hard. It does bond with the paint permanently, so it should be taken care of (keep clean). It can chip and deep scratches (keys) can still happen. If you take it to a car wash, over time, it will suffer the same as every other car that does, swirls... Lol. It will just be a little dull more so than anything.

Ceramic coating is just that, a glass coating, it has a higher hardness than paint, and a vehicles Clear Coat, approximately 3X harder. It is not to be confused with paint protection film that can heal small scratches. Either way, it's a great way to keep a car looking awesome! But be sure, wash it, keep it clean, recharge/boost it and it'll keep that new car look for a very long time!
Thanks! Ill keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0