THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i sport plus, chassis?

11-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
skills25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M-Sport Ford Focus St

Question 228i sport plus, chassis?

Hello! I just picked up a 228i m-sport x-drive yesterday. When fiddling with the driving modes, I noticed in Sport Plus or Sport modes the display says something about the chassis being optimized for sporty driving. I did some forum research and it is my understanding that chassis involvement only happens with the THP, yet my screen says and shows in the diagram chassis/shock involvement.

Does anyone have info on this? Is the "chassis" verbiage sort of general default language on the screen for all 2 cars? Or does sport/+ actually change the stiffness of something in my 228i m-sport? I don't notice much of a difference, but I haven't really pushed the car yet enough to tell with my own testing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

Suspension will only change if you have the adaptable suspension option. I have a 2014 228 M Sport but I only have the fixed M Sport suspension.
Appreciate 3
      11-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
skills25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. I wonder why the options exist in the Sport and Sport+ drive mode settings to select both driveline+chassis, driveline, or chassis. Seems like BMW should have not allowed them as selectable options if they don't do anything!

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
skills25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG12 View Post
Suspension will only change if you have the adaptable suspension option. I have a 2014 228 M Sport but I only have the fixed M Sport suspension.
Does your system also show those options, including chassis, in the sport mode configurations?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
staticcornflake
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills25 View Post
Quote:
Does your system also show those options, including chassis, in the sport mode configurations?
Mine does have those options in the non-THP package, my understanding is for us it adjusts the steering stiffness (tighter) when chassis is checked, and drivetrain is the sportier throttle map.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

Yes, it does seem to tighten up the steering a little bit but not very noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
I checked my car built sheet and I don't see anything about adaptable or fixed M Sport suspension.

So how can you tell?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paposalsa View Post
I checked my car built sheet and I don't see anything about adaptable or fixed M Sport suspension.

So how can you tell?
I believe (if memory serves?) the only way you could have gotten the MAdaptive suspension or the MSport brakes on a 228i was to order the full Track Handling Package that includes both. That would be revealed by the blue calipers vs the standard grey.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Uwrwilke
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills25 View Post
Hello! I just picked up a 228i m-sport x-drive yesterday. When fiddling with the driving modes, I noticed in Sport Plus or Sport modes the display says something about the chassis being optimized for sporty driving. I did some forum research and it is my understanding that chassis involvement only happens with the THP, yet my screen says and shows in the diagram chassis/shock involvement.

Does anyone have info on this? Is the "chassis" verbiage sort of general default language on the screen for all 2 cars? Or does sport/+ actually change the stiffness of something in my 228i m-sport? I don't notice much of a difference, but I haven't really pushed the car yet enough to tell with my own testing.

Thanks!
Steering wheel stiffness is all it changes if you don't have THP
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #10
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

I believe the driving modes will change throttle mapping and shift points, or recommended shift points on a stick shift. On my base model 230i I can hear no change from the noise maker, in fact I hear nothing from that direction.

As to steering stiffness, I'm going to have to try to sense that today. Not sure how that is done, less power assist? It can't be a change in steering ratio. And road feel (feedback) is pretty much nonexistent. If I can find a good downhill situation I might try with the engine off.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6MT MGM/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
I believe the driving modes will change throttle mapping and shift points, or recommended shift points on a stick shift. On my base model 230i I can hear no change from the noise maker, in fact I hear nothing from that direction.

As to steering stiffness, I'm going to have to try to sense that today. Not sure how that is done, less power assist? It can't be a change in steering ratio. And road feel (feedback) is pretty much nonexistent. If I can find a good downhill situation I might try with the engine off.
Switching between comfort and sport on mine is a HUGE change in steering feel. Much more effort required to turn in sport vs comfort. Easiest to notice when going slowly. Sometimes I am in a rush and don't switch over to sport until I'm backing out of the driveway, mid turn. You can definitely feel it tighten up when it switches over, mid turn. Throttle input is a pretty drastic difference as well. I'm in sport 95% of the time just because I'm used to the throttle input and makes shifting easier. When I'm in comfort, I feel as if I have to floor it (comparatively) to speed up.
03' E46 330ci | 5MT | JB/B (sold)
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4650.00
      11-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #12
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

Variable speed steering is part of THP on 2s8 or 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post

Switching between comfort and sport on mine is a HUGE change in steering feel. Much more effort required to turn in sport vs comfort. Easiest to notice when going slowly. Sometimes I am in a rush and don't switch over to sport until I'm backing out of the driveway, mid turn. You can definitely feel it tighten up when it switches over, mid turn. Throttle input is a pretty drastic difference as well. I'm in sport 95% of the time just because I'm used to the throttle input and makes shifting easier. When I'm in comfort, I feel as if I have to floor it (comparatively) to speed up.
The variable speed steering is part of the track handling package along with adjustable dampers, michelin PSS and sport brakes. All on the 228 or 230.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrop View Post
I have the identical experience and also wait to exit my garage to engage Sport, also on 95%+ of the time. I also disengage Sport for Comfort when manuevering to back into the garage as well.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
makrop151.00
      11-21-2019, 02:50 AM   #14
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

My understanding is that Sport and Sport+ use a variety of real time sensor inputs (e.g. steering angle, slip angle, throttle/brake position, and speed) to adjust the behavior of the traction control and stability management systems. In Sport, the ECU will tell those systems to actively intervene to help keep you in control of the car. In Sport+ the ECU tells those systems not to intervene, and will retask the traction control with using the rear brakes to emulate a limited slip differential, which promotes better turn-in and oversteer. I'm assuming that the x-drive will also shift a greater portion of the output bias from the front axle towards the rear axle.

Edit: in THP-equipped cars, Eco & Normal settings also put the rebound and dampening to "soft" and Sport & Sport+ settings put the rebound and dampening to "firm" and engage Variable Sport Steering, which reduces the tire steering angle proportionaly relative to the steering wheel input angle to make high speed driving more intuitive.

Last edited by 230iZTR; 11-21-2019 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
skills25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info, everyone. This all makes sense!
Appreciate 0