THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

09-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #1079
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Oh boy... lmao! Who was the bright boy that came up with that idea? Sensors die, they fail, the can be faulty... dipsticks don't lie and I always used it to see the condition of the oil as well.

I'm new to German Engineering, lol.
Although I have a 2001 E46 330Xi for the last 3 years and its a charm

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
The only problem I have with the sensor is that you have to drive the car to measure the level. That's dumb. If the whole point is you don't want to drive the car before it's full, then you should be able to check before driving the car 10 min.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #1080
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
The only problem I have with the sensor is that you have to drive the car to measure the level. That's dumb. If the whole point is you don't want to drive the car before it's full, then you should be able to check before driving the car 10 min.
there are 2 indicators. Only is a dashboard light that tells you oil is low.
The one you're talking about will measure and tell you exactly how much oil is in and (if I recall correctly) how much you need to add.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #1081
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

The only things that annoy me with the 2 series is how dirty it gets and the long stretch required to reach the seatbelts.

It must be the aero that causes the front end and the rear lower quarter panels (behind the rear wheels) to look like sh!t after just a couple days of driving. After driving it in the rain, the car is a complete mess. No other car I've owned (over 30), got dirty as quickly!

Outside of this, no complaints!
      09-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #1082
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
The only things that annoy me with the 2 series is how dirty it gets...

It must be the aero that causes the front end and the rear lower quarter panels (behind the rear wheels) to look like sh!t after just a couple days of driving. After driving it in the rain, the car is a complete mess. No other car I've owned (over 30), got dirty as quickly!
Is your car one of the darker colors? I bought black cars for a decade, but finally had to give up on them - and that was in a place where it didn't rain for 7-8 months of the year.

I wanted a white M240i due to that color showing dirt the least - had to settle for EB, though. I have to say, EB doesn't show dirt nearly as badly as I expected it would.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #1083
bimmerride0
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Long stretch to get your seatbelt... try doing that after chest/back day lol.
The door handle is so far forward I end up using my forearm to push it open.

Otherwise love the size and drive. It's small and zippy through the roads!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #1084
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerride0 View Post

To grab the seat belt, I use my left arm and reach down and back rather than using my right arm to reach over my shoulder.
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      09-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #1085
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Is your car one of the darker colors? I bought black cars for a decade, but finally had to give up on them - and that was in a place where it didn't rain for 7-8 months of the year.

I wanted a white M240i due to that color showing dirt the least - had to settle for EB, though. I have to say, EB doesn't show dirt nearly as badly as I expected it would.
^^^ lol, I ordered white. Owned a black Z06 in '09. Never again! My anal/compulsiveness can't handle a black car, lol... I swear this car attracts dirt like nothing I've ever owned; especially the lower front side aprons just ahead of the front wheels and the lower rear flanks, just behind the rear wheels...

Cheers/B
      09-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #1086
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerride0 View Post

^^^ lol! yeah, coming from a weightlifter/powerlifter myself, lol...
I figured it out quickly. I snap on the seatbelt before I close the door. This works. I too love the small dimensions. This car is a load of fun!

Cheers/BB
      10-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #1087
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Dip sticks can be highly inaccurate if not used in the prescribed manner - for example engine oil up to temperature, engine shut off for 5 mins before taking the measurement. The S54 engine would vary 0.5 litres (half the distance between low and high oil levels) when checking the dipstick with cold oil compared with the proper hot oil and correct time after engine shutdown, leading to the risk of over filling and possible oil aeration and bearing damage.
Somehow I missed this reply. It's a good textbook answer, but if used as justification for removal of the physical dipstick, well that's just absolutely ridiculous (not you, the reasoning). "Highly inaccurate" is a gross exaggeration of a situation that occurs so infrequently it could be ignored. Most BMW owners (that I know) don't change their own oil, and those that do, know how to use the dipstick. Same goes for all other cars, trucks, etc. But BMW is somehow on to something that mysteriously has escaped all other engine makers? No, I think not. It's a silly design, made to incorporate electronic monitoring of the engine oil levels to give the driver the information lazily from the comfort of their drivers seat without having to get their hands dirty. Again... Silly! Honestly, I believe if it were to be tracked, especially over time, there would be more recorded incidence of failed engine oil level sensors, than people over filling their oil. I know I changed my sensor on my 2001 330xi at 140k, but thank goodness I had a dipstick to check levels until I did. lol... It's all good, just silly in my opinion.

So now that I have my M240xi with 57 miles on it... I can give an initial intake on the subject.

Don't like the white gauges and red dashboard lighting. All one color please. Don't like some of the controls layout, but may soften with time. Yes, the HK system seems lacking... I'm an audiophile but gave it a shot as the HK in my old 330 sounds pretty good still. Yeah, the door handle could be closer, as I'm tall and set the seat back so it's a reach. But that's not such a biggie, it is a small sports car after all. And the grey kidney grills - when everything else is black... Hmmmmm? Can't figure that out. Not a worry as I ordered Black Grilles with the car, lol, Will swap them out as I'm wrapping the car. Otherwise will reserve the right to add more later

Oh, the wife was distraught looking for her grab handle above her head that wasn't there, lol.

Regards!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #1088
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Oh, my wife was distraught looking for her grab handle above her head that wasn't there, lol.
This is the part I continue to identify with (and be reminded about) the most!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #1089
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
This is the part I continue to identify with (and be reminded about) the most!
No grab bar on the passenger's side also in the 4 series, appears to be a commonality with the coupes. I’m very rarely a passenger in my 2'er, so it’s essentially a non-issue with this series.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      10-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #1090
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
I’m very rarely a passenger in my 2'er, so it’s essentially a non-issue with this series.
Spoken like a truly unmarried person!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
MerlinMc114.00
      10-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #1091
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha!

I've found that the curtain airbag is there. So I'm wondering about customizing one to the passenger pillar...? But it's ok, will be the only person in the car 90% of the time, lol. But a "Happy" wife is a happy "Life", no?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #1092
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha!

I've found that the curtain airbag is there. So I'm wondering about customizing one to the passenger pillar...? But it's ok, will be the only person in the car 90% of the time, lol. But a "Happy" wife is a happy "Life", no?
Absolutely...and the only reason/time the MAdaptive suspension is set for "Comfort"!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #1093
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha, happily married, wife drives the 428i GC - bigger boot for all the groceries! I think the only time she has driven my 230i is when we went on a longer trip.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #1094
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Somehow I missed this reply. It's a good textbook answer, but if used as justification for removal of the physical dipstick, well that's just absolutely ridiculous (not you, the reasoning). "Highly inaccurate" is a gross exaggeration of a situation that occurs so infrequently it could be ignored. Most BMW owners (that I know) don't change their own oil, and those that do, know how to use the dipstick. Same goes for all other cars, trucks, etc. But BMW is somehow on to something that mysteriously has escaped all other engine makers? No, I think not. It's a silly design, made to incorporate electronic monitoring of the engine oil levels to give the driver the information lazily from the comfort of their drivers seat without having to get their hands dirty. Again... Silly! Honestly, I believe if it were to be tracked, especially over time, there would be more recorded incidence of failed engine oil level sensors, than people over filling their oil. I know I changed my sensor on my 2001 330xi at 140k, but thank goodness I had a dipstick to check levels until I did. lol... It's all good, just silly in my opinion.

Regards!
It is just a feature that is aimed at the majority of BMW drivers, as you say, most people wouldn't use the dipstick anyway, so is it really needed? The failure rate of the electronic sensors used to be measurable, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem over the last couple of generations of cars (seemed to be an E46/E39 thing).

The bottom line is that the vast majority of owners of BMWs these days are likely better served by an electronic measuring system that warns them when it gets 1 litre low, as they won't check the oil level otherwise. Far better than have them wait until the engine is damaged when the low oil pressure light comes on, followed by them being denied warranty.

If you want to rely on full hands-on car maintenance in the old-school way, there isn't a new car from a mainstream manufacturer that doesn't rely on electronics and software to perform maintenance tasks these days. If you want close to analogue and a road legal car (that is still in production), my 2012 Caterham fits the bill. It doesn't actually have a dipstick, it is older school than that as the dipstick adds weight, I have to peer in the top of the dry sump tank while the engine is up to temperature and running and top it up to 5mm below the mid-tank baffle.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #1095
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

As noted, it is crazy to have to start an engine and drive it any distance to determine its oil level, when any lack thereof, or insufficient supply of said component, can and will damage an engine, let alone with a Turbo. Electronic monitoring "in addition to" would be perfect, like my E46... But it really doesn't matter as I've fed the trolls (engineers) by purchasing the car despite being aware of this feature, Hahahaha

Is all good...

So I'll add this to the dislikes... The cloth pillars! Lol
My old 330xi got the elephantitis (droopy fabric) syndrome eventually and I'm left to wonder if it'll happen again over time with the new car as it has the same. And the HK system needs a sound processor (equalizer) or additional SUB to fill out bottom end. Arm Rest control button should be programmable to change volume level and some of the media control is not so intuitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #1096
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As noted, it is crazy to have to start an engine and drive it any distance to determine its oil level, when any lack thereof, or insufficient supply of said component, can and will damage an engine, let alone with a Turbo. Electronic monitoring "in addition to" would be perfect, like my E46... But it really doesn't matter as I've fed the trolls (engineers) by purchasing the car despite being aware of this feature, Hahahaha
Please don't help spread that false info.
There's a check for oil elsewhere. It gives you an OK (or not) immediately. That's equivalent to pulling a dipstick in your garage, before starting the car.
The "driving for a while" is only required if you want an accurate measure of the oil level.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #1097
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Originally Posted by bimmerride0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
To grab the seat belt, I use my left arm and reach down and back rather than using my right arm to reach over my shoulder.
This keeps it up where I can just reach back and grab it with my right hand. I plan to get a more attractive solution, but it works great for now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #1098
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

^^ I don't get what your solution is. Can you zoom out your picture to give more context?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #1099
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Looks like he has clipped a binder clip on the belt so it doesn't retract all the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #1100
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
^^ I don't get what your solution is. Can you zoom out your picture to give more context?
I just put a binder clip on the belt so that the buckle stays up near the shoulder where the belt comes out of the slot instead of sliding down to the bottom near the seat.
Appreciate 0