THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum alarm went off for hours

10-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
xingqianli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22

alarm went off for hours

The alarm on my 2018 M240i just went off for hours when the car was parked. Finally someone called the police and got it towed. Then it kept being loud till the battery drained..

I did not see any sign of break in or damage when I picked up the car from the tow place. What could be the possible reasons that the alarm kept being off for hours!? Any one had similar experiences before?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Wow.. I would think the alarm would turn off after awhile.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

What did BMW say about paying for towing and storage under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
xingqianli
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
No I did not bother going to the dealer to have them check on it. Since I can not reproduce the issue (still do not know what happened till today, had the computer scanned but saw nothing related), I would imagine they would just play innocent.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:26 AM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingqianli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
No I did not bother going to the dealer to have them check on it. Since I can not reproduce the issue (still do not know what happened till today, had the computer scanned but saw nothing related), I would imagine they would just play innocent.
Something hit your car. Your car is new enough that I won't suspect some electrical issues. More than likely something struck your car and your alarm went off.

Use the app to keep an eye on your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
xingqianli
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Something hit your car. Your car is new enough that I won't suspect some electrical issues. More than likely something struck your car and your alarm went off.

Use the app to keep an eye on your car.
i thought the same, but the alarm should have stopped after a while in that case, right?

yes I started checking the app once a while to make sure the car is at where I parked it. I'm not sure if the app will say anything if the alarm goes off though
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

OP, read this articlle, might give a clue:
https://www.carbibles.com/car-alarm-keeps-going-off/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

oddly, the app doesn't know about the alarm. i's have the dealer check for codes. i think it's supposed to turn off after a while if not retriggered.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

What is the course of action if the alarm keeps on going off and doesn't shut off with the key fob?

Removing the alarm fuse?
Removing the battery?
Burning down the car?
All of the above?

I searched around and couldn't find any fuse diagrams. I am just curious what to do in a situation like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
xingqianli
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
OP, read this articlle, might give a clue:
https://www.carbibles.com/car-alarm-keeps-going-off/
thanks! I read some similar articles but none of the mentioned reasons seem to be the case for me. 1) fob was not anywhere near the car when the alarm went off 2) the battery should be good for a 2018 car plus the alarm was loud for about 8 hours before the battery drained 3) I looked but did not find any dirty hood latch sensor

I suspect that the in-car motion detector went wrong somehow. Now I turn it off every time after I park the car. The problem seems gone. Will stop doing that after a while only when the car is around me and see if the problem comes back.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:38 AM   #11
xingqianli
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
What is the course of action if the alarm keeps on going off and doesn't shut off with the key fob?

Removing the alarm fuse?
Removing the battery?
Burning down the car?
All of the above?

I searched around and couldn't find any fuse diagrams. I am just curious what to do in a situation like this.
I think unlocking the car with key fob will disarm the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #12
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingqianli View Post
thanks! I read some similar articles but none of the mentioned reasons seem to be the case for me. 1) fob was not anywhere near the car when the alarm went off 2) the battery should be good for a 2018 car plus the alarm was loud for about 8 hours before the battery drained 3) I looked but did not find any dirty hood latch sensor

I suspect that the in-car motion detector went wrong somehow. Now I turn it off every time after I park the car. The problem seems gone. Will stop doing that after a while only when the car is around me and see if the problem comes back.
I’m wondering if there’s some kind of interfering signal close by that sets off the alarm. My sister lives on a street close to a medical center (with helipad) and on three different days, I’ve heard a car alarm go off. Thinking it was someone else’s car, I didn’t pay much attention, but later out of curiosity, I activated my alarm and it surely sounded like what I had heard. I’m going to pay closer attention now and go out to check and see if it’s my car's alarm..stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #13
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Re: my previous post: I can confirm that when I park at my sister's place which is close to a medical center, my car alarm will randomly activate. This has not occurred anywhere else so I'm thinking it might have to do with some electronic signal emanating from the hospital which is a major trauma center and has a helipad. Question is why is it only my car and at that location...I'm going to see if parking further up the street will make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
Xavier Seynave
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive

Hello

Same thing here: the alarm of my car also goes off for no apparent reason. I am trying to find out what could trigger it and so far it seems that it is overly sensitive when I park close to the outside dust collector at the shop or near the shipping docks. Nothing at the grocer's or at home, so vibrations may be the cause...
Appreciate 0