THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery 2018 230i Xdrive- Need Advice

09-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i 2008

2018 230i Xdrive- Need Advice

Hi Guys,

I currently gave a deposit on a 2018 230xi convertible for a purchase. It had all the options and colour combo that i always wanted but the only thing is that the lady that owned it before went into a big pot hole that damaged the right side front and rear mags and tired. She claimed it to her insurance and was able to see it on the carfax. This was at 18000kms

She gave the car to the local mercedes dealer at 24000kms and apparently right before she gave it as a trade in for a c300 convertible she went in a another pot hole and this time on the left side.
When i drove the car it was vibrating a bit and the mercedes dealer told me they would repair both the front and rear mags and do an alignment before giving the car to me.

I am also planning on doing a bmw dealer inspection as well next week. I know that here in Montreal we have alot of pot holes but should i be worried that it has damaged more to the car? I checked the shock absorbers and no leaks was seen.

Do you know if the bmw inspection will cover alot of points on the car? There is still almost 3 years to the bmw original warranty. The interior seemed very new and it still smelled like new leather.

Thanks to give me your advice before i make this purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

If she didn't care to slow for massive potholes, what else didn't she care to do? I wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Any other opinions?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl128_25 View Post
Any other opinions?
I will add mine; I will steer clear of this car. BMWs aren't exactly synonymous with reliability if not taken care of. The twit that was driving it before did not have sense to avoid potholes, how much was she aware of taking care of other things in the car, like timely oil changes and all that?

Also, this is a convertible; you are dealing with more moving parts than the standard car. Did the twit know how to properly open and close the top or was she driving around with it half closed and half open because she was an idiot causing unnecessary wear and tear?

The poster above me is right. There are too many unknowns and, believe me, a PPI is quite limited and doesn't guarantee shit.

You may be inheriting headaches here. Steer clear and get another car.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M34901.00
      10-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

if the Mercedes were to align and fix the wheels and you still had a vibration or pull arise soon after it doesn't read as though the dealer would do any further diagnostic or repair. There are other components that could be damaged like control-arms or even bent shock towers.

plus I would not buy something damaged.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
guy688i
Rep
Drives: M240xi, X3

Man I would be careful with that. I bought a CPOd 135i back in the day. The car had some alignment issues that I didn’t notice for awhile after I bought it. At highway speeds it pull to the left. I thought it was simply the slope of the road.

Asked he dealer to check alignment at the first service and the couldn’t get the front wheels into spec. I took it to a different dealer and it ended up being a tiny bend in one of the rods (after a few days of checking). I’m talking so small you couldn’t tell the bent part from the new one. But that little bend caused a definite pull on the steering at speed.

All that to say a tiny little bend on one part caused all those problems. I can’t imagine what was done with all those pothole hits…

Naturally the alignment was “good” at purchase but was magically out when I took it in... so I paid some out of pocket. The second dealer was awesome and good willed quite a bit of the labor.

My vote is hard pass.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Mtl128_25
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys! But i will do a full inspection of the car. Wouldn't that detect anything?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl128_25 View Post
Thanks guys! But i will do a full inspection of the car. Wouldn't that detect anything?
The question should be why wouldn’t the dealer fix everything before having you test drive the car? It’s advantageous for the dealer to be able to say u purchased the car with the known issues and that they only offered to do wheel repair and alignment. It could be the repairs are a lot more extensive.
Unless the repairs are done before your inspection and test drive then you can’t asses the issue.

But the explanation of all these pothole hits should be a warning, it just sounds ridiculous. The dealer must have given a poor trade in value for such a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

OP, there's an old saying, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Or, caveat emptor. Or, fine feathers don't make fine birds. Or...insert any cautionary quote here.

I don't know what deductibles are like in Canada, but if they're anything like they are in the states, the fact that she did enough damage to warrant an insurance claim that was, at least ostensibly, higher than even a $500 deductible is seriously concerning.

How much are you going to save over a car that has no potential issues? This is the real question. If there's a reasonable chances a repair would eat up those savings or more, why take that chance?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #10
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Hitting a pothole with enough force to damage a wheel will also possibly dance other suspension components. It can also bend the frame of the car, etc. Parts like control arms, sway barsway bar link, ball joints, strut, strut mount, etc., etc... Why would you willingly assume the responsibility for this? And pay for it? Lol

As noted, the dealer conveniently predisposing what is wrong, and what they'll fix to make it right, is basically lipstick on a pig to get the car out the door and make it your problem. Unless the dealer will provide in writing, a guarantee, to protect you against any unforeseen issues for a period of time, like 6 months or more, which we all know won't happen. I would take a pass in that car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Hitting a pothole with enough force to damage a wheel will also possibly dance other suspension com usa today protonmail ponents. It can also bend the frame of the car, etc. Parts like control arms, sway barsway bar link, ball joints, strut, strut mount, etc., etc... Why would you willingly assume the responsibility for this? And pay for it? Lol

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 11-07-2019 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0