THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i Xenon DRL top strip is starting to fade

04-22-2024, 09:38 AM   #1
Fraysa
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

M235i Xenon DRL top strip is starting to fade

I noticed that the top strip of the DRL in my headlights is starting to fade, and showing two colors.

I don't think it's the headlight fault, since the exact same thing happens on my other headlight. I believe it's a faulty module, as I don't believe there should be two colors.

Can anyone with the same headlights confirm? This is pre LCI 2016 non-adaptive.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I think the assembly just degrades over time. I replaced one of my headlights, and kept all of the same modules but the new headlight has a clear brow and is a bright cool blue, whereas my older headlight is a whiter color almost on the yellower side when you can see the contrast against the new headlight. I think BMW just really dropped the ball when it came to the headlights on the 2 series. The 3 and 4 series dont have the same issue. I also restored the lens on the older headlight to see if it could possibly fix the issue but no:/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 11:35 PM   #3
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
I think the assembly just degrades over time. I replaced one of my headlights, and kept all of the same modules but the new headlight has a clear brow and is a bright cool blue, whereas my older headlight is a whiter color almost on the yellower side when you can see the contrast against the new headlight. I think BMW just really dropped the ball when it came to the headlights on the 2 series. The 3 and 4 series dont have the same issue. I also restored the lens on the older headlight to see if it could possibly fix the issue but no:/
You are right......... Xenon set ups degrade over time (previous cars) and get yellower mostly to the point they are not better than Halogen.

I have Adaptive LED but I am not particularly happy either because I drive mostly on mountain roads at night and my feeling is they are not bright enough .

Also, my previous cars had OEM fog lights in the bumper and it was quite a difference with LED bulbs.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 1
Dom14789.00
      Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #4
Fraysa
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
That sucks. Do you mind uploading pictures of the differences between both headlights?

I don’t believe the issue is with the headlights as the degradation and yellowing is exactly the same on both headlights. Maybe they both gradually degraded over the years, but I find it weird that they look exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #5
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
They surely do degrade the same over the years. I know I have a photo of my 228i when I also replaced the headlight on it as well I’ll look for it.
Appreciate 0