THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i VS X-Drive in Automatic

04-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The answer to this is about the same as most of the other 'what should I get' threads:

Go try them both and pick what you like. Even if you can't find an awd vert on the lot, try a hardtop for comparison. AWD is a very different dynamic - one that I happen to LOVE (on track especially), but others dislike it (perhaps even despise it). As noted above, you don't have concerns for absolute numbers, and who really does with these cars - their strength is the way they cover sooo many bases so well. And I'd second the opinion that there is no replacement for awd and good snow tires if you ever drive on snow.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      04-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #24
MasterFloody
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifobd View Post
0 regrets on awd. Small tweaks to improve handling and increase power and this car is an absolute rocket. So much more confidence near the limits and endless smiles.
That is a beautiful pic man
ifobd32.00
      04-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1010 View Post
Is RWD still more sporty and exciting in an automatic than AWD?
Absolutely it is. There's far less drama when the car hooks in most every situation, will not hang the rear out wide, and will understeer more.

AWD in this chassis is rather boggling to me as the 2 series is the lightest and most nimble chassis the BMW makes. AWD takes away from steering feel, makes handling worse, adds 120lb in weight (most of it power sapping inertial weight), adds cost and complexity, and lowers reliability. Transfer cases fail on the Xdrive 2 series, especially tuned ones.

Go drive an xdrive and rwd. There is a notable difference if you're someone that's in tune with cars and has the skills to drive fairly hard. A rwd with the LSD is about as good as it gets. If you want the most connection possible, the 6MT is a few notches higher on the excitement scale.

Lastly, the RWD is fine in the snow with the right tires. I've been through 5 snowy Midwest winters with my M235 using winter performance tires. Never have been stuck, just like I never got stuck in my prior car, a 2012 WRX.
B58togo808.50
Poochie9104.50
      04-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #26
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

I never thought much about this when I was test driving in CA. All the cars were RWD and I just had to decide between the convertible and the coupe. I got the AWD because I live in Utah and I had got stuck once or twice with my previous RWD and had to abandon the car till the snow melted on the hill. But the feel of the AWD is definitely more ponderous and not as nimble feeling. For the number of times I've taken it out in the snow, I could just have done with the snow tire set, which I do have. The weight, expense and change in feel were not worth it, in retrospect.
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4652.50
B58togo808.50
      04-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #27
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I'm 6 months into my 2017 M240ix convertible. I was/am still surprised how much the front end pushes going around a corner fast. I'm sure a RWD will push less. And I'm sure a coupe would push even less than that. But I've never driven an F22 RWD or AWD so I couldnt tell you for sure. Unless someone here has driven RWD and AWD F23's extensively they probably cant give you a good answer either.

Have you looked for a local dealer with both RWD and AWD f23's on the lot so you could drive both for yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #28
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

An AWD will always handle differently than a RWD. But, if you're pushing the car hard enough to induce understeer, there are always things you can do to address it. Again, I bought mine as a DD and don't have plans to really push it hard. But, if I was going to split duties between driving to work and having some fun on the weekends, I might look at some suspension adjustments. There's plenty of support even for AWD models.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
An AWD will always handle differently than a RWD. But, if you're pushing the car hard enough to induce understeer, there are always things you can do to address it. Again, I bought mine as a DD and don't have plans to really push it hard. But, if I was going to split duties between driving to work and having some fun on the weekends, I might look at some suspension adjustments. There's plenty of support even for AWD models.
It is not even necessary to push it hard and actually have the front slide to sense and enjoy the difference of a lighter front end and its' more nimble response to steering input. This is why the earlier comments about having a track car miss the mark. This is about how enjoyable and responsive the car feels in everyday spirited driving. Driving to work can also be fun in the well-chosen car. If one is to cruise about gently and sedately enough never to feel this, much of the reason d'etre for the car disappears versus more mainstream brands.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:15 PM   #30
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I do appreciate it!

As a quick follow up, I am actually currently leasing the RWD convertible automatic M240i, and do love it. I have noticed, as have some of the reviews out there, that the front end of the car feels a bit dull and muted, almost like you don't quite know what it is doing as you do the back end. I'm not sure if that makes any sense?

I'm wondering if this feeling is different in the AWD? I guess the best way is for me to test drive one per the suggestions! But just curious if you guys feel the AWD front end would seem more "purposeful" and responsive than the RWD?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Perhaps it may be too negligible to notice?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I'm wondering if this feeling is different in the AWD? I guess the best way is for me to test drive one per the suggestions! But just curious if you guys feel the AWD front end would seem more "purposeful" and responsive than the RWD?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Perhaps it may be too negligible to notice?

Thanks guys!
It is actually the reverse and noticeable. Remember, it's basic physics...more weight over the front exacerbates what you are feeling, although part of it may be your response to electric vs hydraulic steering?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #32
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

There's a lot that can be achieved with adjustable sway bars and alignment considerations. AWD cars behave differently, but are no less fun when driven hard. Braking characteristics, turn in, and throttle management are very different from RWD but still keep things interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #33
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
There's a lot that can be achieved with adjustable sway bars and alignment considerations. AWD cars behave differently, but are no less fun when driven hard. Braking characteristics, turn in, and throttle management are very different from RWD but still keep things interesting.
100% Agree. Tire choice and pressure will also play a big part in handling feel.
It's a "relatively" easy way to upgrade perceived handling deficiencies of the AWD. The stock Pirelli RFT's are certainly an improvement over the horrid RFTs of the 3 series E90 generation, but are still a Jack-of-all-trades, Master-of-none solution in terms of performance.

I say "perceived handling deficiencies" because I believe that these are quite capable cars regardless of their transmission or drive configuration. Most of us will never approach their limits in daily driving, even spiritedly.

I definitely grant the RWD config. an advantage in terms of "steering feel" at lower speed autocross style driving. At these speeds the AWD is definitely muted. Not terrible mind you, but not noteworthy. I've learned to appreciate and love the feel of the AWD, especially at higher speeds. Maybe it's my perception, but I can definitely feel the front wheels pull through turns when accelerating. What fun! The above 60mph performance of this car is outrageous, and the AWD keeps those B58 ponies in line for a mere mortal like me.
      04-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #34
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

I don't know about the m240i in rwd form but I'm coming from a mustang gt to xdrive m240. I was always out of control in the gt. This awd keeps me in line, same roads about the same curb weight. Awd just keeps me on rails.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      04-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #35
B58togo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Absolutely it is. There's far less drama when the car hooks in most every situation, will not hang the rear out wide, and will understeer more.

AWD in this chassis is rather boggling to me as the 2 series is the lightest and most nimble chassis the BMW makes. AWD takes away from steering feel, makes handling worse, adds 120lb in weight (most of it power sapping inertial weight), adds cost and complexity, and lowers reliability. Transfer cases fail on the Xdrive 2 series, especially tuned ones.

Go drive an xdrive and rwd. There is a notable difference if you're someone that's in tune with cars and has the skills to drive fairly hard. A rwd with the LSD is about as good as it gets. If you want the most connection possible, the 6MT is a few notches higher on the excitement scale.

Lastly, the RWD is fine in the snow with the right tires. I've been through 5 snowy Midwest winters with my M235 using winter performance tires. Never have been stuck, just like I never got stuck in my prior car, a 2012 WRX.
RWD with LSD and 265's gets the job done. I don't understand X-Drive in this car either, but to each his own.
      04-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #36
B58togo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehim View Post
I don't know about the m240i in rwd form but I'm coming from a mustang gt to xdrive m240. I was always out of control in the gt. This awd keeps me in line, same roads about the same curb weight. Awd just keeps me on rails.
That tends to happen.
      04-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #37
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the input! Be safe out there!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:39 AM   #38
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

I drove my AWD convertible today. I put the top down even though it was cold and hooked it around some curves. I forgot all the terrible things I’ve been thinking about all week. The transmission was the last thing on my mind. Stay safe, enjoy your car, your life and your loved ones. 🙂
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4652.50
Maynard3848.00
      04-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #39
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
This is a never-ending discussion because it does not have a unique answer. There is no perfect F2X car. It all depends on what you want out of the car and what you plan to do with it.
I bought a 235X and configured it the way I did because I wanted a small GT car. IMHO, no other vehicle out there comes near the 2X-six-AT in that regard, so I am happy with my choice and have been for five years and counting.
If I were 25 and eager, I might opt for an RWD 6MT with the 4 and mod the hell out of it. That is just not what I want right now.
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4652.50
Moflow2484.50
      04-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Is RWD still more sporty and exciting in an automatic than AWD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
This is a never-ending discussion because it does not have a unique answer. There is no perfect F2X car. It all depends on what you want out of the car and what you plan to do with it.
I bought a 235X and configured it the way I did because I wanted a small GT car. IMHO, no other vehicle out there comes near the 2X-six-AT in that regard, so I am happy with my choice and have been for five years and counting.
If I were 25 and eager, I might opt for an RWD 6MT with the 4 and mod the hell out of it. That is just not what I want right now.
Your overall assessment is exactly spot-on. But, I hope it's ok to be 66 and still eager!

But, as to the OP's specific and original question, I believe that is objectively answerable by much of what has been shared in this thread, keeping in mind his exact use of two criteria: 1) "sporty" and 2) "exciting".
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #41
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

It all depends on what you like in your car. Does nailing the throttle and going stupid fast in the blink of an eye do it for you? Nothing wrong with that! If that's your jam, AWD is probably the better choice.

Does cornering at or near the limits, while feeling the car "dance" underneath you appeal to you more? There's nothing wrong with that either. Probably RWD is the choice, especially if you're more into the man-machine connection you can get with a manual.

Just have to decide what you like. The nice thing is that a RWD M/T 240i will still be pretty fast in a straight line, while an AWD AT car will still handle pretty well.
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
Jashue190.50
      04-04-2020, 08:22 PM   #42
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Ok, person preference ays so much into perception of what is better/best.

I was ready to go M2, all out stick, etc. But really wanted a daily that skirted the same performance. Enter the M240...

Love love love manual... But went AWD and really there's no buyers remorse, or any regret. It's a rocket, and quite frankly, is more car than driving U.S. roads allow (legally). But that's what I wanted. If I wanted more, a track car, the M2 would have been perfect. I feel it's a bit much for the street. Not to put it down in any way shape or form!

The M240 is "FUN" nowhere to hide from that statement. The AWD allows for a slight edge as noted largely due to human error and reflex not being able to perform as quick as a computer, lol. Either way you'll be happy!

As for handling and weight, understeer, etc... Is all possible to adjust and correct. Lower control arms for non Xdrive, Camber Plates accomplish the same for Xdrive. Wasn't aware the LSD is swappable for the Xdrive, lol, something maybe worth looking into. But as noted, can disable the stability control if you want to feel like a rwd, lol

Bottom line is get what you want, drive it like you stole it, have fun!
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      04-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #43
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just curious - for you guys who have purchased the RWD MT, if you were gonna get an automatic, would you still opt for RWD over AWD?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just curious - for you guys who have purchased the RWD MT, if you were gonna get an automatic, would you still opt for RWD over AWD?
Absolutely, without doubt.
Appreciate 0