THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Slight vibration under hard acceleration

07-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
Breakfirstfinishlast
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, e36 M3 Enduro Car

Slight vibration under hard acceleration

So I have a 15 m235i with 36k miles on it.
Stage 1 bm3, although the vibration was happening before I flashed it.

I have a vibration under hard acceleration that sort of feels like a resonation. It sounds like its hitting the same frequency as road noise because it sounds like a bass-y wubbing type thing. Its just barely noticeable soundwise but its also causing a vibration in my steering wheel and pedals.

here's what i've deducted so far:
  • Its not a wheel or tire, because I replaced all my wheels with brand new wheels and tires recently.
  • Its not a wheel bearing or tie rod, I checked all of that and there is no play. Actually none of my suspension components have any play either.
  • Probably not bad alignment because im not experiencing any strange tire wear

The only things I could think of is: bent axle, bad center support bearing, or bad differential.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

Last edited by Breakfirstfinishlast; 07-14-2022 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #2
Breakfirstfinishlast
Rep

No one has any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

something like that sounds like it could be driveshaft/rotating assembly related.

if you know how, get under it and give the driveshaft a shake. if it has any lateral or longitudinal play, the u-joint may be failing/wearing.

If you can feel it in the steering wheel and pedals, it may be something making contact with the chassis or the wheels/rotating parts (brake rotor/hub/dust shield/damper)
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 12:18 PM   #4
Breakfirstfinishlast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
something like that sounds like it could be driveshaft/rotating assembly related.

if you know how, get under it and give the driveshaft a shake. if it has any lateral or longitudinal play, the u-joint may be failing/wearing.

If you can feel it in the steering wheel and pedals, it may be something making contact with the chassis or the wheels/rotating parts (brake rotor/hub/dust shield/damper)
Thank you for the feedback, man. Much appreciated. I planned on taking a look at the driveshaft the next time I was under the car, however, I decided to do my brake pads today, and when I was done and i took it out for a drive, all the vibrations were gone. Very strange, and im not exactly sure what was causing the vibrations but obviously it had something to do with how the brakes were set up.

Just figured I'd follow up on this just in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfirstfinishlast View Post
Thank you for the feedback, man. Much appreciated. I planned on taking a look at the driveshaft the next time I was under the car, however, I decided to do my brake pads today, and when I was done and i took it out for a drive, all the vibrations were gone. Very strange, and im not exactly sure what was causing the vibrations but obviously it had something to do with how the brakes were set up.

Just figured I'd follow up on this just in case anyone else is having a similar problem.
You more than likely had a brake-pad hung up on the rotor or debris that was lodged between the pad/rotor or it was the dust shield/pad shim and when you changed pads you inadvertently fixed the issue. Glad it cleared up!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 07:11 AM   #6
MadJonny
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfirstfinishlast View Post

Did you change brake pads from what you had originally? could it be associated with pads deposit on the disks from overheating? I have the same problem with my car
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...ke-vibrations/
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #7
Breakfirstfinishlast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJonny View Post
Did you change brake pads from what you had originally? could it be associated with pads deposit on the disks from overheating? I have the same problem with my car
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...ke-vibrations/

I changed from the OEM pads to Hawk ceramics.

Thanks for the link. Ill check that out
Appreciate 0