THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions 13-03 6WA Kombi retrofitted to 15-03 F22 (after previous NBTevo retrofit)

05-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
boldorider4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i F22

13-03 6WA Kombi retrofitted to 15-03 F22 (after previous NBTevo retrofit)

Hi everyone!

So, I got a used and virginized 6WA cluster kombi made on 2013-04-09 and retrofitted it to my 2015-03 F22.
I found out that the old BKOMBI entry in the SVT had to be deleted and written into the car VCM SVT-Target so E-Sys can correctly display the KOMBI in the ECU list. I think someone is already familiar with this issue because it was discussed in other forums, so thanks everybody for those useful posts!

So I finally managed to code the Kombi to my car FA and also got the selected gear to show on the cluster (which was also a common issue...SPA_IST_GANG_ENABLE --> nicht_aktiv!!!).

Now I have one new issue, namely the directions on the cluster display are not shown in the correct color table: at intersections you will see the roads displayed in gray but the arrow pointing into the direction to go are also displayed in gray, making them basically invisible.

After a bit of research, I figured the problem is the parameter:

KOMBI CAFD:
NAVICOLOR_TABLE --> from neue_farbtabelle to farbwelt_id5

but because my CAFD does not show farbwelt_id5 as an option (it only shows neue_farbtabelle and alte_farbtabelle), I guess the issue is that the 13-03 firmware of the cluster is too old. Do you guys agree with this theory? Or maybe the firmware of the NBTevo (which was retrofitted and updated) is just too new (22-11) and therefore only supports 6WB?

So I guess the only thing I can try is flash the cluster with newer firmware than 13-03. But I also read that the I-Step gap between FEM and KOMBI shouldn't be too big otherwise the FEM (and possibly more ECUs) would need to get flashed as well. My current FEM firmware is still stock, therefore on I-Step 15-03.

So my question to you guys: does anyone have an old enough PSDzData Full that doesn't deviate too much from 15-03? Maybe from 2016 or 2017?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 04:57 PM   #2
boldorider4
Private
Rep

TheNine90 , shawnsheridan your inputs would me most appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:07 PM   #3
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldorider4 View Post
TheNine90 , shawnsheridan your inputs would me most appreciated
I do not have any older psdzdata version. Just the latest. You can laways flash FEM also.

First, make sure you have FDL Coded HU_NBT2 => KOMBI_CIC = kombi_mid for 6WA to ensure that is not your issue.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 03:58 AM   #4
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I do not have any older psdzdata version. Just the latest. You can laways flash FEM also.

First, make sure you have FDL Coded HU_NBT2 => KOMBI_CIC = kombi_mid for 6WA to ensure that is not your issue.
Hi Shawn,

thanks so much about the great suggestion!
I actually have KOMBI_CIC=kombi_high in my case.
Do you think a 6WA kombi w/ production date 2013-04-09 and I-Step 13-03 would correspond to KOMBI_CIC=kombi-mid on the HU_NBT2? Mind you, every single other function on the kombi works 100%.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 08:45 AM   #5
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Shawn,

thanks so much about the great suggestion!
I actually have KOMBI_CIC=kombi_high in my case.
Do you think a 6WA kombi w/ production date 2013-04-09 and I-Step 13-03 would correspond to KOMBI_CIC=kombi-mid on the HU_NBT2? Mind you, every single other function on the kombi works 100%.
I believe it is this:

kombi_low = Basic Kombi
kombi-mid = 6WA Kombi
kombi-High= 6WB Kombi

Just change it to kombi-mid and test it. You can always change it back.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 12:23 PM   #6
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I believe it is this:

kombi_low = Basic Kombi
kombi-mid = 6WA Kombi
kombi-High= 6WB Kombi

Just change it to kombi-mid and test it. You can always change it back.
By the way, I also have KOMBI_RES = 'high' and other possible values are 'mid' and 'nicht_aktiv'. The comment reads "Most or can combi", so I'm guessing this also needs to be set accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By the way, I also have KOMBI_RES = 'high' and other possible values are 'mid' and 'nicht_aktiv'. The comment reads "Most or can combi", so I'm guessing this also needs to be set accordingly.
Start with KOMBI_CIC FDL Code and go from there.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 02:04 PM   #8
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Hi shawnsheridan ,

unfortunately all my attempts were unsuccessful. I tried setting one at a time and finally altogether the following:

KOMBI_CIC --> kombi_mid
KOMBI_RES --> mid
KI_KOMBI_VARIANT --> mid_35up_apix, mid_35up_oabr, rr_35up

and then I also trying switching on and off all FPK-related values, namely:

FPK_COMING_ROAD_BMP --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
CALMING_KOMBI --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
DRIVE_MODE_KOMBI --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
LOUPE_TACHO_KOMBI --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
MFID_KOMBI_VARIANT --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
KOMBI_AUFLOESUNG --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv

I guess it really could be a SW (like the I-Step) or HW issue with the kombi. Or maybe the 'neue_farbtabelle' (new color table), which is older than farbwelt_id5, is simply not supported on 11-22 NBTevo.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 02:15 PM   #9
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi shawnsheridan ,

unfortunately all my attempts were unsuccessful. I tried setting one at a time and finally altogether the following:

KOMBI_CIC --> kombi_mid
KOMBI_RES --> mid
KI_KOMBI_VARIANT --> mid_35up_apix, mid_35up_oabr, rr_35up

and then I also trying switching on and off all FPK-related values, namely:

FPK_COMING_ROAD_BMP --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
CALMING_KOMBI --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
DRIVE_MODE_KOMBI --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
LOUPE_TACHO_KOMBI --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
MFID_KOMBI_VARIANT --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv
KOMBI_AUFLOESUNG --> aktiv/nicht_aktiv

I guess it really could be a SW (like the I-Step) or HW issue with the kombi. Or maybe the 'neue_farbtabelle' (new color table), which is older than farbwelt_id5, is simply not supported on 11-22 NBTevo.
Ok, flash it is then.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 03:26 PM   #10
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok, flash it is then.
Cool!

I think I’d still like to be a little conservative and flash 03-18 on the KOMBI so the deviation with FEM is minimal (FEM is 03-15).

NBTevo is on 11-22 but it was VO-Coded with Zeitkriterium 03-18 (I know it doesn’t make a great deal of difference), but as far as I know, in 2018 cars were already sold with an NBTevo and also still with a non-black panel 6WA.

If that still doesn’t work, I can still flash the KOMBI again to 11-22.

Thanks, Shawn!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 05:27 PM   #11
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Oh, shawnsheridan, I almost forgot:

If I look at the TAL Pre-requisites for the KOMBI ECU, does it mean that I also have to flash the Pre-requisites with the same I-Step as the KOMBI?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 05:29 PM   #12
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, shawnsheridan, I almost forgot:

If I look at the TAL Pre-requisites for the KOMBI ECU, does it mean that I also have to flash the Pre-requisites with the same I-Step as the KOMBI?
I can't say. There is no way to know. Personally, I don't worry about any Prerequisites. I flash ECU i need to and then only is something is not working will I go back and flash any other ECU.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 06:49 AM   #13
boldorider4
Private
Rep

By the way shawnsheridan,

Is it safe to flash via HTTP for every ECU? Or is forcing UDS safer albeit slower? I didn’t use UDS for NBTevo cause it would take ages but for other modules the difference should not be dramatic.

Also, is flashing KOMBI after connecting through VIN ok? Because I know that for FEM_GW I have to connect through ZGW IP.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #14
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By the way shawnsheridan,

Is it safe to flash via HTTP for every ECU? Or is forcing UDS safer albeit slower? I didn’t use UDS for NBTevo cause it would take ages but for other modules the difference should not be dramatic.

Also, is flashing KOMBI after connecting through VIN ok? Because I know that for FEM_GW I have to connect through ZGW IP.
I flash using HTTP and only if it fails will I go back and set it to UDS. Usually you can set just BTLD for UDS and keep SWFL at HTTP. I flash via VIN myself.

Appreciate 1
      05-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #15
boldorider4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I flash using HTTP and only if it fails will I go back and set it to UDS. Usually you can set just BTLD for UDS and keep SWFL at HTTP. I flash via VIN myself.
Cool, thanks as always! You flash via VIN also the FEM_GW?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #16
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool, thanks as always! You flash via VIN also the FEM_GW?
Never flashed FEM_GW before.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:17 AM   #17
boldorider4
Private
Rep

So in the end I decided to leave the navigation farbtabelle of the Kombi alone, but I discovered a problem with ECO pro coasting function not working, which I eventually fixed and is described below.

Here is a quick summary of all changes I've done in this retrofit. Because I also retrofitted new steering wheel with MFL buttons and DCC, here's the complete list of all parameters values affected for the KOMBI, HU_NBT2, ICMQ and FEM_BODY. No I-Step update required so far. Everything is on 03-15, except KOMBI which is on 03-13.
  1. First and foremost, if you're retrofitting a 6WA kombi from a basic kombi (the one with the tiny LCD at the bottom), you need to delete BKOMBI entry in the SVT (after clicking on Read SVT) and write the modified SVT into the car VCM SVT-Target so E-Sys can correctly display the KOMBI in the ECU list.
  2. Code S249A + S544A to have Mulfuktion für Lenkrad + Geschwindigkeitsregelung mit Bremsfunkt. on following ECUs
    • KOMBI
    • HU_NBT2
    • ICMQ
    • FEM_BODY
  3. 6WA Kombi is from 2013-04-09 so I needed to also code the following
    • SPA_IST_GANG_ENABLE --> nicht_aktiv, otherwise gear is not displayed
    • KOMBI_CIC --> kombi_mid
    • KOMBI_RES --> mid
    • NAVICOLOR_TABLE --> farbwelt_id5 (this one will require a fairly recent I-Step of your Kombi, otherwise the value will default to 'neue_farbtabelle' and the navigation inside the cluster will display some arrows in gray as opposed to white...not a big detail but it could be annoying).
  4. NBTevo needs to communicate to Kombi over MOST, so MOST cable needs to be installed between the two.
  5. it is crucial that certain HU_NBT2 CAFD values get set accordingly
    • MFL --> aktiv
    • DCC --> aktiv
    • EXTERNER_MOST --> aktiv
    • EXTERNE_MOST_DIAG --> aktiv (you may not have this one on newer NBTevo I-Step)
    • ECO_CONF_SAILING --> aktiv (this is super important otherwise when you go to ECO pro driving mode, the coasting function will not work)
    • GLOBAL_CONF_SAILING --> nicht_aktiv (this would enable a sailing override check box in the eco pro setting that is uselss)
    • EFF_DYN_SAILING --> aktiv
  6. FEM_BODY CAFD values also needs to be coded for MFL and paddle shifters"
    • MFL_VERBAUT --> aktiv
    • PADDLES_VERBAUT --> aktiv
  7. To have LIM function besides DCC (most people will want it, it's the button in place of the SET button on steering wheel)
    • ICMQ --> C_SLD_Funktion --> aktiv
    • ICMQ --> C_Umschaltung_ACC_DCC --> zugelassen
    • KOMBI --> SLD_ENABLE --> aktiv
    • FEM_BODY --> LIN_VARIANTE_MFL --> DCC_Sport_SLD
    • HU_NBT2 --> SLD --> aktiv
Appreciate 0