THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications 2017 230i Dual Exhaust Conversion

05-14-2023, 09:56 PM   #1
Kirby145
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i xDrive

2017 230i Dual Exhaust Conversion

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2017 230i with the M-Sport Package along with an M235i/M240i rear diffuser to carry out the conversion.

I purchased a Dinan M235i Free Flow Exhaust which a 75mm diameter.
The 230i has a 80mm diameter and so for the fitment to work, I believe a reducer/adapter piece would be needed.
I would've preferred to get the M240i exhaust but the M235i's was 50% off on Dinan's Website.

My concerns are as follows:
1. Are there any drawbacks to welding since an adapter will be needed for the fitment?

2. Will the weld/adapter mess up the exhaust fitment?
- Would they extend the exhaust tips further beyond the diffuser?
- Would they cause the exhaust to hang lower below the diffuser?

Thank you all in advance for the help. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:13 AM   #2
Steve 1993
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby145 View Post
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2017 230i with the M-Sport Package along with an M235i/M240i rear diffuser to carry out the conversion.

I purchased a Dinan M235i Free Flow Exhaust which a 75mm diameter.
The 230i has a 80mm diameter and so for the fitment to work, I believe a reducer/adapter piece would be needed.
I would've preferred to get the M240i exhaust but the M235i's was 50% off on Dinan's Website.
Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox
My concerns are as follows:
1. Are there any drawbacks to welding since an adapter will be needed for the fitment?

2. Will the weld/adapter mess up the exhaust fitment?
- Would they extend the exhaust tips further beyond the diffuser?
- Would they cause the exhaust to hang lower below the diffuser?

Thank you all in advance for the help. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Welding the exhaust system and using an adapter to fit the Dinan M235i Free Flow Exhaust on your 2017 230i should generally not cause significant issues if done properly. However, there are a few points to consider:

a. Welding quality: Ensure that the welding is done by a skilled and experienced professional to avoid any potential leaks or weak points in the exhaust system.

b. Warranty concerns: Modifying the exhaust system might void the warranty on the exhaust and possibly other related components. It's essential to check with the manufacturer or your dealership about the impact on the vehicle's warranty.

c. Resale value: Some potential buyers might prefer an unmodified exhaust system for various reasons. Modifying the exhaust could potentially affect the resale value of the vehicle.

Exhaust Fitment:
The fitment of the exhaust depends on the skill of the technician performing the work and the quality of the adapter used. When using an adapter, there could be some minor changes in the exhaust tips' position and alignment, but a well-executed job should minimize any significant visual differences.

a. Extending the exhaust tips: If the adapter changes the exhaust's dimensions, it may slightly extend the exhaust tips beyond the diffuser. This outcome could be less noticeable if the adapter is properly designed and fitted.

b. Lower hanging exhaust: It's possible that the addition of an adapter could cause the exhaust to hang slightly lower below the diffuser. Again, this will depend on the specific adapter design and how well it is integrated into the existing exhaust system.

Last edited by Steve 1993; 07-20-2023 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0