THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Freshly bought '17 240i

04-20-2023, 12:22 PM   #1
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

Freshly bought '17 240i

Hello I have just purchased a ‘17 m240i manual w about 38k miles and currently am waiting on delivery. I’m pretty familiar with BMWs as a whole as I’ve been building my F80/ had it for 2 years and wanted a fun enjoyable daily. Big fan of the B58 motor and it’s potential, anyone have any recommendations in terms of exhaust, downpipes, intakes, etc? I’m dailying it but i’m young so i could care less if the exhuast drones or is loud/ i run a closed intake set up on my f80 i want to hear how open runs on the F22. Only thing I wish for this car to be able to do is pass emissions easily for my downpipe option. I run BM3 for my f80 and i am a fan (not thay much with the new update interface) but not sure how it is on the b58 platform. Thanks for any tips on the platform ahead of time!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #2
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

If you would like to pass emissions easily then a good midrange catted downpipe like Active Autowerke would be great. If you have more to spend, Fabspeed I think is the costlier options.

Most people would tell you to just stick with the drop in filter and call it good. But for the fun of it (the sound), MST has work well for me with no cel ever yet.

Being married with non car wife, I just deleted 1 of the resonator and call it good. Otherwise some options I have considered is Milltek exhaust, M performance exhaust, Remus and valvetronic.

I used bm3 stage 2 and have been for the last 22k miles with no issues paired with xhp transmission stage 2. xhp is kinda finnicky for me, shift faster but the shift points on D doesnt seems to be as smooth as in S. I end up using S or manual a bit more when Im having a little bit of fun than before.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Can you share what you paid for your car? Curious as I'm putting my car up for sale soon, 2019 M240i with similar mileage.

I recommend a highflow downpipe and I believe there are setups that are emission friendly. I run MHD but have heard great things about BM3. The XHP trans tune is a good add-on too-- nevermind your car is a manual.
      04-20-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Can you share what you paid for your car? Curious as I'm putting my car up for sale soon, 2019 M240i with similar mileage.

I recommend a highflow downpipe and I believe there are setups that are emission friendly. I run MHD but have heard great things about BM3. The XHP trans tune is a good add-on too-- nevermind your car is a manual.
I came to a deal of 36.5 before taxes on my 2017. It was 1 owner and fully untouched so it was a hard find from what else I was seeing in the market, plus the estoril blue/blue interior is a nice spec paired w a 6mt. Feel like if I waited couldve gotten a better price but I'm happy with what I'm getting my hands on.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2021.00
      04-20-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
If you would like to pass emissions easily then a good midrange catted downpipe like Active Autowerke would be great. If you have more to spend, Fabspeed I think is the costlier options.

Most people would tell you to just stick with the drop in filter and call it good. But for the fun of it (the sound), MST has work well for me with no cel ever yet.

Being married with non car wife, I just deleted 1 of the resonator and call it good. Otherwise some options I have considered is Milltek exhaust, M performance exhaust, Remus and valvetronic.

I used bm3 stage 2 and have been for the last 22k miles with no issues paired with xhp transmission stage 2. xhp is kinda finnicky for me, shift faster but the shift points on D doesnt seems to be as smooth as in S. I end up using S or manual a bit more when Im having a little bit of fun than before.

Thank you a ton for your feedback. I need to listen to how Milltek exhaust sounds, otherwise I've been leaning towards MPE. Stupid question but do you know what they are adding to their B58 engine builds that keep the turbo spool down noise when slowing down so loud and profound? Not sure if its a BOV but I love how spooly and good these turbo inline 6s motors sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #6
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
I know this is very specific to intakes, but I'm in the mood to write about it at the moment and it certainly applies. I had the Agency Power (now VR Performance) intake on my M240i for a couple years, and I can vouch for the sound. It's amazing how much turbo sound you get with an open-element cone filter, though after about 40,000mi (with cleaning every oil change) the filter started to degrade and I chose to replace it with the stock airbox and a drop-in filter, with a silicon intake res. delete to get some of that sound back.

Although my IATs are much closer to ambient now, the sound experience is completely different. That unmistakable spool and burst from the blow-off was replaced by something much more akin to stock. You can still tell it's turbocharged with the drop-in, but it's lost a lot of character. If I had known just how different the sound would be, I would've found a replacement filter element to clamp onto the AP intake pipe. If you're not gunning for Dragy times and just looking to have fun, damn the IATs and get a cone filter. This especially applies to 6-speeds, since you get that blow-off every time you let off the throttle to change gears.

Since I just saw your follow-up question after sending this, it seems like the airbox plays a bigger part in silencing than I thought. There's also two intake resonators on the B58, an upper which is clearly visible when you open the hood, and a lower which is part of the turbo inlet directly. The upper can be replaced with a silicon pipe that attaches to the factory airbox, and usually is part of a full intake solution if you go that route. The turbo inlet is a bit more of a PITA to get to, and has to be made from metal since it's attached directly to the turbo, so it's a little more expensive.

Final edit, I promise: this video is from when I had the AP on, to give you an idea of the real-world sound. Stock exhaust, ASD enabled.

Last edited by SpencerC_6MT; 04-20-2023 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 07:55 PM   #7
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
I know this is very specific to intakes, but I'm in the mood to write about it at the moment and it certainly applies. I had the Agency Power (now VR Performance) intake on my M240i for a couple years, and I can vouch for the sound. It's amazing how much turbo sound you get with an open-element cone filter, though after about 40,000mi (with cleaning every oil change) the filter started to degrade and I chose to replace it with the stock airbox and a drop-in filter, with a silicon intake res. delete to get some of that sound back.

Although my IATs are much closer to ambient now, the sound experience is completely different. That unmistakable spool and burst from the blow-off was replaced by something much more akin to stock. You can still tell it's turbocharged with the drop-in, but it's lost a lot of character. If I had known just how different the sound would be, I would've found a replacement filter element to clamp onto the AP intake pipe. If you're not gunning for Dragy times and just looking to have fun, damn the IATs and get a cone filter. This especially applies to 6-speeds, since you get that blow-off every time you let off the throttle to change gears.

Since I just saw your follow-up question after sending this, it seems like the airbox plays a bigger part in silencing than I thought. There's also two intake resonators on the B58, an upper which is clearly visible when you open the hood, and a lower which is part of the turbo inlet directly. The upper can be replaced with a silicon pipe that attaches to the factory airbox, and usually is part of a full [...]
Thank you for this detailed response on the intakes, for my f80 i ran dinan closed intakes to keep IAT temps down for drag strip runs and all that, this f22 i plan to have as a fun daily no real “top tier performance” i’m gunning for but obvious fun performance i will never be again. The video makes the open cone intakes sound great even when the window was rolled up. One of the things i love about the B58 is it’s tone and sound from the engine and exhaust (even stock) is so mature and enjoyable.
Quick question if about every 3-5k miles for oil changes you would clean the intake cone, how would you go about that. simple take off the clamp holding the intake cone and spray the cone with water and let it dry? Or is there a better method that wouldn’t make the material have water seep in unless thoroughly dry.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 08:06 PM   #8
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilbaran View Post
Quick question if about every 3-5k miles for oil changes you would clean the intake cone, how would you go about that. simple take off the clamp holding the intake cone and spray the cone with water and let it dry? Or is there a better method that wouldn’t make the material have water seep in unless thoroughly dry.
Just rinse it down with water and give it a few hours to dry. What droplets are left won't cause any issues, at least from my experience. Worth noting that I did an oil change shortly before I discovered my filter media was getting torn to shreds, but the car was victim to a cross-country road trip soon after, so I'd attribute that to New Mexico dust and debris rather than reinstalling the filter while it was still damp. YMMV.

Obviously some filters will require oiling, it depends on brand, and even some brands offer separate dry and oiled filters. Just read the fine print before you pull the trigger. In terms of install/reinstall, it's dead simple if you position the hose clamp in a good spot. I was able to take off my whole AP setup and re-install the airbox using a penny to (un)screw the hose clamps.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 09:06 PM   #9
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
Just rinse it down with water and give it a few hours to dry. What droplets are left won't cause any issues, at least from my experience. Worth noting that I did an oil change shortly before I discovered my filter media was getting torn to shreds, but the car was victim to a cross-country road trip soon after, so I'd attribute that to New Mexico dust and debris rather than reinstalling the filter while it was still damp. YMMV.

Obviously some filters will require oiling, it depends on brand, and even some brands offer separate dry and oiled filters. Just read the fine print before you pull the trigger. In terms of install/reinstall, it's dead simple if you position the hose clamp in a good spot. I was able to take off my whole AP setup and re-install the airbox using a penny to (un)screw the hose clamps.
Sounds easy, in your opinion is the engine bay easy to work on yourself and be more hands on? I would love to save money installing stuff like charge pipes and intakes myself. the engine bay from the eye doesn’t look too complicated but i know things change when you get to taking things apart.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds easy, in your opinion is the engine bay easy to work on yourself and be more hands on? I would love to save money installing stuff like charge pipes and intakes myself. the engine bay from the eye doesn’t look too complicated but i know things change when you get to taking things apart.
Intakes, charge pipes, upgraded turbo inlet pipe, downpipe. All are somewhat easy to access and perform the work. I'm not too mechanically inclined and was able to figure it out with some youtubing. I did pay a shop to do my transmission service, LSD install, oil changes.
      04-21-2023, 01:57 PM   #11
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Intakes, charge pipes, upgraded turbo inlet pipe, downpipe. All are somewhat easy to access and perform the work. I'm not too mechanically inclined and was able to figure it out with some youtubing. I did pay a shop to do my transmission service, LSD install, oil changes.
Awesome to hear. I plan to do the same with a lot of people stating it’s a simple engine to work on, Is the car needed to be lifted up when you do the downpipes? Also how quick did you do your LSD install, I plan to daily this car in the winter also with proper tires. I don’t plan on waiting to install it but should it be one of the first things I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome to hear. I plan to do the same with a lot of people stating it’s a simple engine to work on, Is the car needed to be lifted up when you do the downpipes? Also how quick did you do your LSD install, I plan to daily this car in the winter also with proper tires. I don’t plan on waiting to install it but should it be one of the first things I do?
The LSD transformed the car for me. However, I'd suggest you get a shop to do it. From what I understand you have to disconnect the whole rear suspension to replace the diff. And, since the ring gear is welded on rather than bolted, trying to change out the guts while keeping the same diff is a fool's errand. I got mine from Diffsonline with Wavetrac limited-slip and a 3.46 ratio. It was very expensive for what one might just see as a diff change, but in the long term it'll be the best change I ever made to the car, even once I get more power in. Plus it's more like 3 grand rather than 4 if you use the factory ratio.

No personal experience with downpipes, but I've seen people do it with the car on ramps.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
      04-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #13
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes you should jack the car up to install a downpipe. You will need access underneath the front and the mid of the car. It was a couple hours of work.

The LSD (along with the XHP trans tune) was the most impactful mod done to the car. The car just simply moves forward way more effectively and you stay out of traction control unless you are getting really crazy. Have a shop do the work unless you have a car hoist and the right tools. You can pick up an M Performance unit for around $2200 from BMW parts hub. I've seen shops quote anywhere from $500 to $900 for the install. You can also build out the LSD and install through your BMW dealer's website. My dealer's quote for the parts and labor is around $3400.
      04-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #14
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Thank you for this detailed response on the intakes, for my f80 i ran dinan closed intakes to keep IAT temps down for drag strip runs and all that, this f22 i plan to have as a fun daily no real “top tier performance” i’m gunning for but obvious fun performance i will never be again. The video makes the open cone intakes sound great even when the window was rolled up. One of the things i love about the B58 is it’s tone and sound from the engine and exhaust (even stock) is so mature and enjoyable.
I dont think you need to clean the intake cone that much, I just checked mine every oil change and recently decided to clean mine after over 20k miles and it wasnt even that dirty. I just used K&n cleaner and oil kit to clean.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2023, 10:34 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS and AWE Tuning are the best-sounding exhausts, in my opinion. REMUS has a wait time; AWE is in stock and ready to ship.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
      05-13-2023, 11:24 PM   #16
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I switched from AWE to Remus, I loved the AWE, but with a catted dp it simply was too loud for me. The resonated Remus filled that gap for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
REMUS and AWE Tuning are the best-sounding exhausts, in my opinion. REMUS has a wait time; AWE is in stock and ready to ship.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 04:40 PM   #17
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I switched from AWE to Remus, I loved the AWE, but with a catted dp it simply was too loud for me. The resonated Remus filled that gap for me.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and advice. So far I'm loving the car stock but ready to get some more out of the car. Does anyone recommend BM3 or MHD? I've been with BM3 for the last year on my f80 with no complaints but I've had friends tell me MHD is a better tuning platform for non "M" cars.

Thank you again in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all the feedback and advice. So far I'm loving the car stock but ready to get some more out of the car. Does anyone recommend BM3 or MHD? I've been with BM3 for the last year on my f80 with no complaints but I've had friends tell me MHD is a better tuning platform for non "M" cars.

Thank you again in advanced!
I would suggest sticking with Bootmod3, as it seems to be the more sophisticated tuning software in my view. They are typically more prompt with updates as well.

I've discussed this previously, but I'll reiterate it here.

A significant advantage that Bootmod3 has over MHD is that they are both the tuners and programmers. They are responsible for creating the maps, handling all updates, and managing the interface.

MHD, on the other hand, are not tuners but programmers. The maps they use are bought from third-party tuners.

Considering this, I would have more confidence in Bootmod3's support, given that they are the original creators of the map.

Appreciate 2
n55david1295.50
      05-17-2023, 06:47 PM   #19
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I would suggest sticking with Bootmod3, as it seems to be the more sophisticated tuning software in my view. They are typically more prompt with updates as well.

I've discussed this previously, but I'll reiterate it here.

A significant advantage that Bootmod3 has over MHD is that they are both the tuners and programmers. They are responsible for creating the maps, handling all updates, and managing the interface.

MHD, on the other hand, are not tuners but programmers. The maps they use are bought from third-party tuners.

Considering this, I would have more confidence in Bootmod3's support, given that they are the original creators of the map.
This is a great comparison between the two thank you, does BM3 also give me a way to see if my ecu is even locked? I was lucky with my f80 and nothing was locked so tuning wasn’t a pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 09:07 PM   #20
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
This is a great comparison between the two thank you, does BM3 also give me a way to see if my ecu is even locked? I was lucky with my f80 and nothing was locked so tuning wasn’t a pain.
Yeah when you connect to app it'll tell you
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
:thumbs-up:

You have the ability to verify whether the DME is locked or not using bootmod3, even before purchasing a license.

Appreciate 1